Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ponce inshore

Seeing it was to rough to head off shore stayed inside the inlet fished a few docks and a couple of sand bar areas. Got few small snapper and small flounder. Did keep one keeper flounder two keeper snapper. All in all nice day! Hope this wind lays down I want to go off shore!

Shrimp
Finger Mullet

Replies

• tommy two tonetommy two tone Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I feel your pain but cold windy overcast days are the best for inshore grouper it will be here soon and it will help with the draw for offshore fishing
  • surfmedicsurfmedic Posts: 35 Deckhand
    New to salt water fishing. I didn't know there was inshore grouper fishing. So cold weather brings em inshore? Im assuming around structure?
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    surfmedic wrote: »
    New to salt water fishing. I didn't know there was inshore grouper fishing. So cold weather brings em inshore? Im assuming around structure?

probably but troll some lipped lures, that will dive deep/ Troll along the edge of the intracoastal. Edgewater/Oak Hill may be better. The closer the channel markers the better. Thats where the CoQuina rock is and it was tough dredging out the channel. So yes, thats where the rocks and holes are. Troll with the current, drag locked down, good heavy line. Lure bumping bottom every now and then. Especially if the water is still Pea Soup. Mr grouper is laying beside his hole watching for bait. Along comes your lure, he grabs it and the boat snatches him away before he can get back in his hole. Good luck Let us know how you do. Thinking about tryind that myself this Sunday, or maybe ML or maybe Playlinda!!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    tunaman wrote: »
    probably but troll some lipped lures, that will dive deep/ Troll along the edge of the intracoastal. Edgewater/Oak Hill may be better. The closer the channel markers the better. Thats where the CoQuina rock is and it was tough dredging out the channel. So yes, thats where the rocks and holes are. Troll with the current, drag locked down, good heavy line. Lure bumping bottom every now and then. Especially if the water is still Pea Soup. Mr grouper is laying beside his hole watching for bait. Along comes your lure, he grabs it and the boat snatches him away before he can get back in his hole.

That's the way to do it...but you will want to change out any hardware to 4X ....solid split rings etc....A nice grouper on a locked down drag can wreck the cheezy stuff on most plugs.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Thats true Duckman but in that shallow water they get yanked away and up before they even know they're hooked. A lot differant than sitting still, anchored up and dropping down to them. Still some great table fare!!
  • tommy two tonetommy two tone Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    they like structure but they like holes in the coquina rock much better a # 15 can fit in a hole the size of a loaf of bread
    they like structure but they like holes in the coquina rock much better a # 15 can fit in a hole the size of a loaf of bread
    Im sure this is true. As i understand it, when the current is moving good, they like to lay outside of their hole waiting for bait. Sounds possible to me. Great ish.