Kayak Sea Tow at Gulfstream

With low surf and mild current, Yesterday was a perfect day to go out. By the time I hit the reefs on the second drop got a big hit, My saragosa was screaming and got cut off at 100ft. I was waving at my buddy to come and drop his jig. When he got to me his boat was filling with water too much that he was sitting low and leaning on one side. We rushed to get to shore but at one point his kayak was so low it was taking water on the side. As hes rushes to pedal the boat rocks back and fort uncontrollably. He panicked and tried to jump on my boat. I was able to calm him down while in the water. I got to haul a full grown person at the bow of my kayak while holding on to my friends hobie pa 14 to get to shore. Not fun.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,324 Moderator
    uhoh!
    Did you have a GPS to mark the spot? maybe if the kayak sank it might not have drifted far from the spot?
    What kind of kayak was it?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    With low surf and mild current, Yesterday was a perfect day to go out. By the time I hit the reefs on the second drop got a big hit, My saragosa was screaming and got cut off at 100ft. I was waving at my buddy to come and drop his jig. When he got to me his boat was filling with water too much that he was sitting low and leaning on one side. We rushed to get to shore but at one point his kayak was so low it was taking water on the side. As hes rushes to pedal the boat rocks back and fort uncontrollably. He panicked and tried to jump on my boat. I was able to calm him down while in the water. I got to haul a full grown person at the bow of my kayak while holding on to my friends hobie pa 14 to get to shore. Not fun.
    Plugs.....use them
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Bad news! I think you were able to get his boat to shore?! What did the issue turn out to be? :Sinking
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    You guys have a real problem sinking your kayaks up there. You need to re consider somethings before you go offshore. Maybe some of you aren't ready. Preparation is important. Learn your yak before you kill yourself or someone else. The ocean is no place to panic.
  • r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Yes we made it to shore and plugs are tigh as it can be

FLATS BROKE --> Before you jump to conclusion, All safety preparations are made before hand. The only thing I dont have as far as safety gear goes is a flair. I didnt call in mayday because the sea water was calm and I know we can make it to shore. Skilled or not if your boat sinks you know your ****ed.

My friend just found out he has a leak on one of the scupper holes.
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Glad everyone got in safe! 2nd one in a month! Every other trip once im out to 70-100' i open my center hatch make sure im not taking on any extra water.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    So one of his scuppers cracked on a hobie? I'd call Hobie....was it an older model?

I'm curious to know how it happened, did he use a ratchet strap through a scupper (:nono) when loading the PA? Did he store the PA and put too much pressure on a scupper?

I'm glad he is okay, and you were able to save the boat.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    That's great advice Ericjames22!
    I think we should all do that before
    we find out it's to late.
    2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    How about just install a bilge....if you take on water just flip a switch and your gtg. I have one in my kayak. Don't use it tho :( guess I have to be on the water to use it huh..have not seen the ocean since August :(
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 483 Deckhand
    All you need is a handpump and you could probably keep fishing. The one i have will pump out about 5 gallons in a minute and with all the storage on a PA its not in the way at all. Is also good for cleanup to get water out of hull.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    You guys have a real problem sinking your kayaks up there. You need to re consider somethings before you go offshore. Maybe some of you aren't ready. Preparation is important. Learn your yak before you kill yourself or someone else. The ocean is no place to panic.

Some of us sink with style baby cakes
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Carry a bilge, and practice a tee top drill a couple of times somewhere safe.
  • EdwardHBLWEdwardHBLW Posts: 58 Deckhand
    What is it with PAs and taking on water? This is the 3rd one this year that I've heard of taking on water offshore...
    2012 Hobie Outback
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    dont take what flats broke says to heart. he's a certified superstar. lol.
    ed, i really don't think there is a pandemic of PAs and water intrusion. looking for a **** in the PA armor, outback boy? lol. btw, the stuff you sent is greatly appreciated, even if micha is a **** and didnt say thank you.

on the note of actually helpful info, i strongly urge your pumps to be manual. if the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, or a water landing, the possibility of an electric pump to short out could be greater than desired. the cost of a manual pump is like 20 bucks. if you want to use an electric as your 'main' bilge pump, go for it. but a manual pump is cheap insurance.

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • krashkrash Posts: 628 Officer
    Isn't leakage from stress cracks at scupper area's in Hobies an old general problem that Hobies are know for their great customer service for. Was an old porblem thought to have been fixed, maybe its back in the PA. (search and find many post)

I'd suggest add a tube of the flexable/kneadabl marine epoxy to you safety kit, inexpensive, easy to cary, simple to use, and can be used in wet environment.
    You can get it at West Marine, or similar HD even cheaper...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Zimmer --> Its a 2012 and transported by trailer but not scupper strapped.

Android --> is that standard for a manual bilge pump 5 gal a minute. what brand is it ? got to look for one

Oarknot --> Can you elaborate on the tee top drill ? If this is a joke :kick coz I goggled it lol

Unomass --> Im not offended at all. I completely agree about the importance of preparation. Lets be realistic and how many actually wear their lifevest when they get out ? Superstar/skilled or not dont get lax. It can happen to anyone.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    googans!
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Oarknot --> Can you elaborate on the tee top drill ? If this is a joke :kick coz I goggled it lol

No, it's not a joke. It's a rescue maneuver where you can dump the water out of a swamped kayak or canoe quickly and safely. Once a boat looses boyancy it will keep rolling around and refilling even if you have a bilge. It sounds a lot easier than it is in reality, and I suggest people practice it at a few times before heading out deep. Basically, you slide the bow/stern of the swamped boat over the bow of the rescue boat to dump the water out (like a "t" lol), but like I said practice it somewhere safe first because the boat will be heavy and it takes some finesse to break the suction (and you won't have hammerheads circling you while you're in the water soaked in tuna blood).
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    I've never had one of those hand-bilges last for more than 6 months... they always seem to get locked.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    krash wrote: »
    Isn't leakage from stress cracks at scupper area's in Hobies an old general problem that Hobies are know for their great customer service for. Was an old porblem thought to have been fixed, maybe its back in the PA. (search and find many post)

I'd suggest add a tube of the flexable/kneadabl marine epoxy to you safety kit, inexpensive, easy to cary, simple to use, and can be used in wet environment.
    You can get it at West Marine, or similar HD even cheaper...

If I remember correctly, they were known for leaks around the mirage drive seating - not the scuppers.
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 483 Deckhand
    I got mine from Hopkins Carter on Miami River east of Miami airport. I use mine after every trip after I rinse inside of hull maybe that's why it doesn't lock up or maybe it's got stainless parts and is made for saltwater. Had to use it more than once when it's a sloppy launch the front hatch on a PA is defenitly not waterproof.
  • Mag1171Mag1171 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    SPONGE IT

I like to carry a big sponge, you can dry the hull up in no time with it. I also use it to dry it after I wash it.
    Nil magnum nisi bonum
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 838 Officer
    Filling the hull space with inflatables and noodles will reduce the volume of water in the Hull. That and a hand pump should keep the yak off the bottom.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    krash wrote: »

Thought to have been fixed but has still been happening ever since the PA's came out. If you read different forums from around the country it happens more often than you think.