Looking for S. FL spots/advice for non-bass species (mudfish, pickerel, snakes, peas)

Anyone have some spots that they're willing to share for some FW species other than bass? I like to spread it out a bit with the variety of fish, and spending every fishing opportunity chasing bass doesn't really excite me as much. Don't get me wrong, I love catching nice bass, but they get a little boring for me. I'm looking for tips and/or spots for stuff like Bowfins/Mudfish, Pickerel, even Snakeheads (which I have a pretty good spot for, but it's pretty pressured). I would ask for Peacock advice but I assume those particular spots are a little more secretive to the regulars. I'm in West Palm, but driving a little ways to a decent hole isn't a big deal. Sounds crazy to most die-hard bass anglers, but I actually like the strike and fight of stuff like Mudfish and Snakeheads a little bit more :cookoo.

As far as spots go, I'm looking for anything I can fish off of a bank, or from a kayak with a launch somewhat close (Boat ramp, parking by the water with no fence/huge seawall).

Any advice? Lures, colors, depth, time of day. Willing to share what I've used so far. Anything helps, thanks!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,059 Moderator
    Welcome aboard Hokey ! I'm not in your area so can't help but the other guys will have good info.
    Good luck.!
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    As far as I know, pickerel don't really go south of Okeechobee. Bowfin also seem to be less common this far south; however, there are some. I don't think there are many peacock bass or snakeheads live this north either after the last few winters.
    Some of the ponds along I-95 would probably be good places to start.
  • BassaholicBassaholic Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    If you enjoy fighting Mayan cichild there is pretty good sized ones in western areas like Wellington, royal palm beach, loxahatche area. Certain spots like behind Palms West Hospital you can launch a small boat or canoe and kill them on live target blue gills or about any crankbait (I'm sure they will hit other stuff but this is all I use in this certain lake so far) . I have bass fished it from shore and pulled serveral in the 10-13in range and their fight is pretty good for such a little fish. Not sure if you're into those but is a change from bass. There is also a few peecock that hange around the little spillway on Southern blvd and 441 (state rd 7) in the Eldorado/ home depot plaza, heck there have even been schools of mullets and catfish, with even a 5lb mullet or two will swim by.
  • HokeyHokey Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks mandaferret, I've been to the Kissimmee river a few times just a few miles north of where it runs into Lake O and caught a few pickerel on the troll (rat-l-trap) but it was a one time thing that I found them. The only other bowfin I've caught was in the same spot, at the S-65E spillway throwing a rat-l-trap in the eddy after a decent rain storm. Only seen one of each south of okeechobee while snakehead fishing in broward, one pickerel and one bowfin. I don't mind making the drive up there if there are any decent spots other than the lake or river, which I'm sure I'll visit again. I'd expect bowfin to be in some of the weedier, slower moving canals, I just haven't found them yet.

And thanks bassaholic, I've seen tons of them and love the fight of the smaller ones even. I used to live in Lox and would see them all over while walking the canals as a kid. I haven't tried those spots yet, but thanks for the advice. Any day that I plan to fish that gets ruined by wind or rain, I'll drive around and drop in a kayak just to explore some water.
  • The CommodoreThe Commodore Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I have caught a pickerel all the way west down Loxahatche on the north side of the dirt road.
  • hittin'_bottomhittin'_bottom Posts: 178 Officer
    I've seen lots of bowfin near the ramp at the Holey Lands. Just as you go under the little bridge by the ramp on the north bank I've seen them schooled up thick sometimes.
    I've upped my standards, now up yours!!!
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    Hokey if you go on southern BLVD towards Palms West Hospital there are lots of canals with the species you seek. As for lures, anything that mimics small baitfish will work. Depending on the time of year, I love small spinnerbaits
  • SaltyOspreySaltyOsprey Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Okefenoke swamp, all the rough fish action you could ask for. Caught my first Bowfin there, 6 1/2 pounds, third cast. Watch out for gators though, one took a look at my trophy fin and I had to bop him on the nose with a paddle to get him away. Do NOT use a kayak in that swamp, there are gators big enough to eat one in there.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,543 Captain
    Bassaholic wrote: »
    If you enjoy fighting Mayan cichild there is pretty good sized ones in western areas like Wellington, royal palm beach, loxahatche area. Certain spots like behind Palms West Hospital you can launch a small boat or canoe and kill them on live target blue gills or about any crankbait (I'm sure they will hit other stuff but this is all I use in this certain lake so far) . I have bass fished it from shore and pulled serveral in the 10-13in range and their fight is pretty good for such a little fish. Not sure if you're into those but is a change from bass. There is also a few peecock that hange around the little spillway on Southern blvd and 441 (state rd 7) in the Eldorado/ home depot plaza, heck there have even been schools of mullets and catfish, with even a 5lb mullet or two will swim by.
    Some good info there. Thanks !!
  • we caught a pickerel in the everglades