Top Reasons To Purchase "Cheep" Flies......

BuzflyBuzfly Posts: 23 Greenhorn
Top Five Reasons To By Cheep Flies:
- They Get Sparser After Every Cast.
- Helps Promote Long Distance Catch, Break and Release.
- Look Great In The Box when the lid is closed.
- Supports The Economy by Paying $1.89/Day to the Tier in a Third World Country.
- US Commercial Tiers Don't Know How To Tie Quality Dialed In Flies That Catch.

Please add to the list....

Just Saying.... Lets have some Non-Bullying fun with this thread.

Replies

• Montana1Montana1 Posts: 212 Deckhand
    -There is no consistency, everyone is different
    -cheap hooks, what could go wrong
    -make you think you could make a go as a commercial tier
    -inability to have a fly tweaked to your needs (color, shape, material) you get the same fly as everyone else, well kind of
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Ladyfish, Ladyfish, Ladyfish, Ladtfish, Ladyfish, they trash everything !
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    It's the fishing gods way of hazing nu-be s.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 495 Deckhand
    ... your Patagonia shirt costs $95, your Columbia pants cost $90, your Buff costs $20, your Costa del Mar sunglasses cost $250, your Simms Flats Walker shoes (laying on the deck) cost $120, your G Loomis 8 weight costs $700, your Hatch reel costs $700, your Scientific Anglers Textured line costs $100, your Orvis fly box costs $40 ...

... you flew 1500 miles with a $700 plane ticket, you fish one week a year, you are going to get about 30 casts a day, maybe five fish, and the lodge runs about $3000 for a week.

... and in the end, why WOULD'NT you want want all that investment to come down to a $2.00 fly connecting you to the fish you dreamed about catching for a lifetime?

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• catch itcatch it Posts: 136 Officer
    ^exactly
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    sunflower wrote: »
    ... your Patagonia shirt costs $95, your Columbia pants cost $90, your Buff costs $20, your Costa del Mar sunglasses cost $250, your Simms Flats Walker shoes (laying on the deck) cost $120, your G Loomis 8 weight costs $700, your Hatch reel costs $700, your Scientific Anglers Textured line costs $100, your Orvis fly box costs $40 ...

... you flew 1500 miles with a $700 plane ticket, you fish one week a year, you are going to get about 30 casts a day, maybe five fish, and the lodge runs about $3000 for a week.

... and in the end, why WOULD'NT you want want all that investment to come down to a $2.00 fly connecting you to the fish you dreamed about catching for a lifetime?

Mark,

You might be an axe murderer "but you get it" LOL, I have been saying all along the same thing about quality leader materials- flies- hooks -fly lines- reels and rods from day one. Buy the good stuff once, just cry once....my 2 cents

Carl
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    What Mark said X4
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    Maybe the question should be why on earth does all that stuff above ^ cost so much? The patagonia shirt was probably made next door to the $1.25 fly.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    beyondhelp wrote: »
    The patagonia shirt was probably made next door to the $1.25 fly.

You should do some research on Yvon Chouinard, and Patagonia. You'll feel extremely guilty for making that statement. As for the rest of it, the fact is they cost that much because you're willing to pay it. There are ways around spending the money. I can build a rod with far better componants for roughly half the retail price of a top shelf rod, and there are always reels from would be fly guys on ebay, as well as closeouts and bargains at your local shop. As for destinations, a charming guy could do some networking and have a foreign fly club foot the bill for travel + expenses(ask me how I know). A clever guy can fish 250+ days a year without selling his soul or suffering the burden of pro-staff obligations.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Mark,

You might be an axe murderer "but you get it" LOL, I have been saying all along the same thing about quality leader materials- flies- hooks -fly lines- reels and rods from day one. Buy the good stuff once, just cry once....my 2 cents

Carl
    I have to agree with Carl and Mark. BTW Carl has a great article in California Fly Fisher Magazine on fishing Baja. Nice work old friend!
    http://www.calflyfisher.com/pages/currentissue.asp
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    You should do some research on Yvon Chouinard, and Patagonia. You'll feel extremely guilty for making that statement. As for the rest of it, the fact is they cost that much because you're willing to pay it. There are ways around spending the money. I can build a rod with far better componants for roughly half the retail price of a top shelf rod, and there are always reels from would be fly guys on ebay, as well as closeouts and bargains at your local shop. As for destinations, a charming guy could do some networking and have a foreign fly club foot the bill for travel + expenses(ask me how I know). A clever guy can fish 250+ days a year without selling his soul or suffering the burden of pro-staff obligations.

I mean no disrespect but, I _did_ do my research before I made that statement. I admire his conviction and dedication to the sport. BUT he still uses the same countries to manufacture his goods. We could probably argue for months on the truth about practices in overseas manufacturing and get nowhere.

From their site: http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=67517
    We make products in factories in Jordan, Nicaragua, Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Turkey, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, El Salvador, Israel, the Philippines and the U.S.

I don't pay those high prices, I fish with "junk" and have a bunch of fun doing so. Boat, Rods,Lines etc... But, I usually tie my own flies or buy them locally. (thanks for the tutorials by the way)
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    John,

You might "fish with junk" but you have very good taste in motors :)

Carl
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Carl and Mark. BTW Carl has a great article in California Fly Fisher Magazine on fishing Baja. Nice work old friend!
    http://www.calflyfisher.com/pages/currentissue.asp

Thanks buddy,

This is only the second article I've done for Calif. fly fisher in 15 years, I usually do 2-3 a year for Salmon-trout and steelhead magazine.

In that story is a picture of a really nice striped Marlin with my big pink Chicken fly in his lips, I hooked the fish and your buddy Steve Jackson starts whining about never catching anything, so I hand him the rod, and took the pictures. I do belive I got the best of both worlds with that fish, plus I got paid to write about it! Love it.

Carl Blackledge
  • ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Cause they get beat to death anyway?

IMGP0183-001.jpg