Quieter hull? Jackson Cuda 14 or Native Slayer 14?

I'm leaning towards the Cuda because I'm fond of below deck storage. But of all the comparisons I've read, I can't recall which has more hull slap.

This will serve double duty flats fishing and off the beach. It comes down to these two because of the seat.

Any of you officers in the Plastic Navy know the answer?
cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
greggl wrote: »
Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
nuevowavo wrote:
Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
:rotflmao

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,308 Captain
    I've never owned a cuda, but the slayer is pretty bad. It's super stable, but it's a total dog to paddle and it's pretty loud without the plugs in. If you plan on making a beach launch with your slayer 14, eat your wheaties. You'll need good conditions and perfect timing.
  • ghostrider8ghostrider8 Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I've never owned a cuda, but the slayer is pretty bad. It's super stable, but it's a total dog to paddle and it's pretty loud without the plugs in. If you plan on making a beach launch with your slayer 14, eat your wheaties. You'll need good conditions and perfect timing.

That's what I kept hearing before I bought a Slayer. While there is some hull slap, I don't find much difference in paddling the 14.5 than I did my old OK Prowler 13. It tracks well and isn't a dog to paddle.
  • jivariejivarie Posts: 127 Officer
    Cuda 14 isn't a total dog to paddle, but it's not great either. It does track straight and will maintain 2-3 mph without a TON of effort. My P-13 was a gem to paddle in comparison. That said, I have no issues launching is rough stuff with the Cuda 14. It will get out through some surf.

The Cuda 14 is quiet on a flat. Minimal hull slap, poles/paddles quietly at slow speeds. The skuppers will gurgle a lot when paddled hard or poled hard.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/kayakfishing - Help the kayakfishing community grow!
  • SwampThing07SwampThing07 Posts: 350 Deckhand
    I can only speak for the cuda 14 as I have one. I love this kayak, but there was def a difference in paddling this heavy dog compared to my old tapron 140. There is hull slap if the scuppers are out but not much. I like the storage as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    As a Slayer 14.5 owner, Yes, the slayer does require a little more effort to paddle and maintain fast speeds for an extended period of time, however, once you reach your destination and begin to fish you will immediatly realize the extra effort to paddle was worth it and that you have made the right decision on which kayak to buy! It is super stable when sitting and standing, I find myself spending 75% of my time standing on the deck or on top of the seat, in the high position! Poles easy, looks good, and has extra large scuppers that drain large amounts of water quickly. Yes, if you dont have plugs for the scuppers they are loud and shoot water up in the air, but once you invest in a couple pairs of Native's new scupper plugs the noise and waterworks are eliminated. It has a super large cockpit and clean layout unlike the Cuda and doesnt have that hatch between your legs. If enclosed hull storage is your draw, Native offers good quality dry fish bags and now even plastic hatch covers for the front trunk well to keep your items stowed. I have never fished a Cuda so i cant argue for their side, but as for the Slayer, I love it and cant say enough about it!
  • PickledvolvoPickledvolvo Posts: 189 Officer
    As a Slayer 14.5 owner, Yes, the slayer does require a little more effort to paddle and maintain fast speeds for an extended period of time, however, once you reach your destination and begin to fish you will immediatly realize the extra effort to paddle was worth it and that you have made the right decision on which kayak to buy! It is super stable when sitting and standing, I find myself spending 75% of my time standing on the deck or on top of the seat, in the high position! Poles easy, looks good, and has extra large scuppers that drain large amounts of water quickly. Yes, if you dont have plugs for the scuppers they are loud and shoot water up in the air, but once you invest in a couple pairs of Native's new scupper plugs the noise and waterworks are eliminated. It has a super large cockpit and clean layout unlike the Cuda and doesnt have that hatch between your legs. If enclosed hull storage is your draw, Native offers good quality dry fish bags and now even plastic hatch covers for the front trunk well to keep your items stowed. I have never fished a Cuda so i cant argue for their side, but as for the Slayer, I love it and cant say enough about it!

Great post!
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Great posts guys, thanks. It sounds like the Cuda is more like the boat I'm looking for. I've test paddled bargey feeling kayaks and didnt care for the idea of paddling them a few miles no matter how stable.
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
  • One more castOne more cast Posts: 145 Officer
    peddal drive Slayer!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    My back isnt conducive to pedalling or Id already be there.
    nuevowavo wrote:
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    I agree with the comments made on the Cuda 14. I have one and love it. Well built and designed boat. I too love the in-hull storage and also have the drop in container for the rod pod. Working on an upgrade to a PA 12 at the moment and then I'll be posting my yak in the forums. You wont be disappointed with a Cuda for inshore or offshore. Very stable and tracks well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s