Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crazy past couple weeks... finally made it out. Panama City offshore - 10/19/13

First of all, congrats to all of you who made it out for the last weekend of Fed snapper last weekend. I sure wanted to make it, but I had out-of-town obligations. More on that later... it was in Maine (a place I'd never been, and I got some pretty good pics for a point and shoot camera) and I hope to have that posted up soon. LOTS of pics to weed through.

Anyway, that trip had me back in Panama City around midnight Monday night and work got crazy, as did trip prep for this particular trip. That being said, I simply never had time to post up congrats from the cell phone at work for all the great trips yall had last weekend. Yall tore em up, and it sounds like wx was pretty good for the most part.

So, MY TURN!, finally... ;-) Think it was late Aug last time we made it out. Managed to get work stuff back in order, and had enough bait rounded up to allow us to fish that full moon Friday night. Turned out to be a good trip, but we fished a LONG time and fished HARD. Fortunately we set a few records for three folks on board.

Heading out. Locked and loaded. While washing the rods this evening, I was able to recount each one being at least used, and most catching a fish or two (if bait counts).
DSCF2500_zps6f14b91f.jpg

DSCF2508_zpsebea120e.jpg

Pre-weak front. Pretty stable:
DSCF2504_zpscac72763.jpg

DSCF2505_zps0516bcb4.jpg

Time to fish... of course first grouper is caught by wife.
DSCF2513_zps330ca1a6.jpg

Picked around and released a bunch of real decent snappers and struggled for a while. Then wife caught not only the second grouper (same spot), but also the biggest of the trip and her personal best. A solid 40 pound fish and she whooped him all on her own.... and again put the men to shame.

Personal Recored #1...
DSCF2523_zpsbb14a46b.jpg

Meanwhile, I was having biggest hardiest baits on huge lead gobbled up by things like this... probably a 17# fish. Snapper swam off just fine with no venting.
DSCF2520_zpsae86fc8d.jpg

So, we fished one spot as sun set and put 4 or 5 gags in the boat and released a nice class of snappers. Biggest being the one pictured.

After that we ran to a spot I love spending the night. Wx was real nice and we started off catching huge beeliners and okay black snappers. This all ended when the kings grew as thick as I've ever seen them. They were snipping off most beeliners or black snappers on their way up. We played with the kings on wire leader a little, but it wasn't even fun they were so thick. Did boat about a 33-35lb king on a live white snapper which was fun. Then we got a few grouper bites on anchor, but flipper got them. Real rock and a hard place. Try to bottom fish and flipper got them under that full moon. Flat line for a tuna was instance clip from king. THEN sharks entered the equation and it just got silly. Nap time. At day break we did have some adventurous amberjacks and managed to put a nice on in the boat. I like eating them.

Next morning we picked up a few more gags, 4 or 5 scamp and the BIGGEST CLASS OF RED SNAPPER I HAVE EVER SEEN. Was a little piece of wreckage that I hoped would be stacked up with gags like last time I fished it, which was back in 2004. Pulled up and found no wreckage (gone, I guess) but snappers layered out like nobody's business. Fired down and it was absurd. Huge sand squirrels, live white snappers, bonito hocks, "other" live baits... all snapper. All sizes between big and huge. These two came up the same time.

Personal Record #2. My buddy boated a snapper that was 36.5", and ugly. Somebody got a picture of him on the cooler taking of the entire 36" of length and then some. No scale on board and one of the biggest snappers I've seen come over the rail. I'm guessing 23-24#. Big booty fish. Fish next to him in the pic is a solid 17-18lb fish.
DSCF2533_zpsde81ec51.jpg

We then bumped around a little in some shallower stuff and picked up 4 red grouper and a few black jacks.

It was mid morning then and a bunch of rain storms came together... figured they would burn out and they did. Then we encountered a bit of a wall.... looked like the actual front, and it was. Stayed nice and calm with no lightning, and then the wind filled in behind. Had a good box of fish, so we redoployed the high speeders for the 1,982 time today and put the pointy end towards the pass.

Half way home the reel rang out and we boated this guy.

Personal Record #3... the angler's biggest wahoo. High 20s pushing 30. I bought a new reel a couple months ago and it's pretty bad ****. We had this guy to the boat very green and it was all we could do to snap a pic which him still lit up. I'm really note holding him towards the camera like it looks. I'm just trying to hang on as a 35lb fish was giving me hell....
DSCF2539_zps871eaa5c.jpg

Nice way to end the day!
DSCF2541_zps3a297647.jpg

All boxed off. Time to go home...
DSCF2542_zpsa097e01e.jpg

At the dock...
DSCF2554_zps9e44c03c.jpg

These little boogers were hiding in a bucket and missed the photo opp... ;-)
DSCF2560_zps2b67c0ac.jpg

Feesh...
DSCF2557_zpsd5401052.jpg

Fun times!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    awesome report. bummer yall had to throw those nice snappers back, but i would take grouper (that's a stud grouper) and black snapper over RS any day. also Nice wahoo and i see it was caught on a purple/black panhandler (my favorite color) and seems like you're liking that makaira. btw how far offshore did yall catch that wahoo? i need to get out there to troll soon
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
  • TobiwanTobiwan Posts: 118 Officer
    Nice haul there. I love wahoo, cut it in 1 inch squares, marinate in Italian dressing, wrap in bacon, shishkabob them with some onions. Then grill it. Slap yo mama good!
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,114 Captain
    Great trip!! And the snapper just keep getting bigger & more numerous! And you would think Flipper would be getting full by now. Not politically correct, but we probably need to be feeding the poor with them.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    great class of fish!!! congrats to Val on her bad *** grouper! and the hoo slaying picks right back up where you left off
    :fishing:grin
  • jandersonjanderson Posts: 256 Officer
    I swear, you crush them like nobody's business. Good job, those are some studs of all species.
    Captain. Josh Anderson

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided flounder gigging and bow fishing in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin and Gulf Breeze

www.litethenitecharters.com

850-396-1816
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Well, that pile of fish was worth the wait! Your wife's grouper & that one red snapper are both just ridiculous!! They would eat the grouper & red snapper we caught as bait. And, you picked up right where you left off with the Hoo........you've slayed them this year. Congrats on another great trip.

Livin' the Dream !
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 833 Officer
    Nice work it must be awesome to get the afternoon, night and morning bite all in one trip. Lots of fishing time for sure. Maybe one day I will do that same trip on my boat.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,114 Captain
    stingwray wrote: »
    Nice work it must be awesome to get the afternoon, night and morning bite all in one trip. Lots of fishing time for sure. Maybe one day I will do that same trip on my boat.

Let me know if you need some crew :grin
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • upinthewaterupinthewater Posts: 202 Officer
    Copper Tone and SOWs - it just doesn't get any better! Yep - seems the lady anglers are on fire lately! great trip.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,742 Moderator
    85okhai wrote: »
    . btw how far offshore did yall catch that wahoo? i need to get out there to troll soon

Wahoo came around 2:00 Saturday afternoon on way in. It was right after front had cleared and N wind had breezed up. We were at 28nm from pass at 186 degrees.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"