Home Sportsman's Kitchen

How to open a mature coconut . . .

One of my fellow old high school buds just sent this video.

It has been soooooooo long since I opened a coconut, drank the milk and ate the meat.

Back then in Fort Lauderdale we had tens of thousands of Jamaica Tall Coconut Palms growing all over. The mature nuts were everywhere . . . on lots, lawns, in trash piles and floating down the rivers.

We learned to open them by repeatedly smashing the pointed end on some concrete pavement until the husk split open in three parts and revealed the nut inside. After that we had either a pen knife or an old special spiral hand tool to puncture and clean out the soft eye. Then just put your mouth on this and tilt the nut up to drink and drink and drink.

Then smash the nut on the pavement to get to the meat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iouao9LYxY

Sorry to bore you with the nostalgia but those were great times for a young boy.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,378 Officer
    Same way I learned while growing up in Miami/Perrine. Now we have a miraculous tool called a Sawzall which gets you to the drinking and eating part in mere minutes. No pounding them, no cutting off fingers and legs with a machete, no pulling and prying the husk off that nut! :grin
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,313 Officer
    Baits Out wrote: »
    One of my fellow old high school buds just sent this video.

It has been soooooooo long since I opened a coconut, drank the milk and ate the meat.

Back then in Fort Lauderdale we had tens of thousands of Jamaica Tall Coconut Palms growing all over. The mature nuts were everywhere . . . on lots, lawns, in trash piles and floating down the rivers.

We learned to open them by repeatedly smashing the pointed end on some concrete pavement until the husk split open in three parts and revealed the nut inside. After that we had either a pen knife or an old special spiral hand tool to puncture and clean out the soft eye. Then just put your mouth on this and tilt the nut up to drink and drink and drink.

Then smash the nut on the pavement to get to the meat.

Sorry to bore you with the nostalgia but those were great times for a young boy.

Same here. We had hundreds of coconut trees in my little island neighborhood in Miami Beach. Coconuts everywhere, brown ones, green ones and the little baby ones that used to make great ammo in a after school game of war. Once I got hit in the eye with one, no damage luckily, but a real nice shiner!

Then the lethal yellowing coconut blight came. I was a lot older by then, but coconuts were never the same after that.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s