Home General Freshwater Fishing

looking to catch my 1st bowfin

I am trying to catch my first bowfin but unsure where to turn, I hear that holey land is a good spot but I wouldn't know where to try in there, would any canal or marsh along US27 hold some? I aim to catch one on regular gear, what lures could I use? eventually I also want to target them on fly as well, does anyone have experience in this area? all input is greatly appreciated!!
There's no such thing as too much bait!

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I seem to run into them when I am targeting bass with things like rubber worms. The Kissimmee River seems to have quite a number of them, I don't know about "any canal".
  • weetzaweetza Posts: 156 Officer
    I've caught them on 29 in that little canal. You can sight fish them there. Great fun on fly.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,673 Moderator
    If you can spot one they will eat just about anything you throw at them. High dollar spinnerbaits are a favorite of mudfish.
    They will twist them into a metal knot rendering them un-useable. Use cheap ones instead.
    To save money use old plastic worms rigged weightless and fish them in the more stagnant weedy areas.
    If you find any current use fresh cut bait on the bottom. They will zero in on it like a shark.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SaltyOspreySaltyOsprey Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    First off welcome to the small group of crazies who fish for Bowfin. The Okefenokee is considered Boca Grande if Bowfin were Tarpon, as for tackle, straight braid worked for me, I used a yum dancin eel but I think they'll hit just about anything. I'd recommend sturdy lures or ones that are easily replaced such as worms. My set up was 20# braid, dancin eel, 6 ft Intercoastal rod, Quantum Triax 30f reel, caught a 6 1/2 pound beauty on my third cast, best moment of my fishing career was landing that awesome fish. Good luck!
  • My best bait for a bowfin is a senko.