9/21 Estero

went out 9/21 a few hours before sundown with a buddy that was in town. we started off very slow, a few keeper snapper but nothing sizeable. around sundown as tide began to really rush out I had a surefire keeper snook on topwater. my buddy fumbled up the net job and popped the snook off the line at the boat... it happens, but man were we bummed out. headed towards an old reliable hole and hit a fat red and decided i'd quit fishing for the night. better to quit while i'm ahead. my buddy continued to fish the hole and pulled in a few catfish so we moved on. we approached the last spot of the night just before last light and the action was incredible. we could hear more than we could see. i decided to pick up the rod and throw a topwater in the direction of the chaos... a big ladyfish jumped on and volunteered herself as bait. rigged her up onto my "whippin stick" and threw her out on the edge of the channel and put the rod in the holder and began to throw topwater again. First cast of the topwater and I got stroked. Either a monster snook or juvy ****. Lost it near the boat courtesy of a broken leader while awaitaing help from my buddy who was fighting with a beastly estero sail-cat. During my struggle the ladyfish rod got stroked and ran, and then stopped suddenly... I put the pole away that I had just been broken off on and began to reel in the ladyfish to check my bait and thats when all hell broke loose. after an epic fight i managed to land the biggest snook of my life, 44" and an estimated 30lbs. Snapped a quick photo and then released her to see another day. The red wasn't so lucky. Goodluck and tightlines fellas

Replies

• Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Holy crap what a snook! That thing is a beast. Nice job man.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    One hell of a snook! Congrats.
  • SWFLSnookSWFLSnook Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Snookasaurus! Nice catch Nauts...tell your buddy to get it together :fishing
  • DoFloridaRightDoFloridaRight Posts: 149 Officer
    What a fish! That thing is a cow!
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 691 Officer
    Nice snook! Love using lady fish for snook!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • ReelFinaddictReelFinaddict Posts: 72 Deckhand
    what a SLOB! Congrats!
    Tight Lines!
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,082 Officer
    Welcome to the 40" club. That snooks a Pig. Great fish!!!
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • GZ1GZ1 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Must be thick in estero right now! Saw this on a Facebook page last week from Estero bay, nice fish! Pic of said fish from the bay:
    null_zps537d3cc7.jpg

Nice name too btw!
  • Deez NautsDeez Nauts Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    thats hilarious that you saw that! the guy i mentioned in my post that lost my keeper snook and was killin the catfish... thats him holding my snook from above! he wanted a picture with it so he could show his buddies on the east coast. apparently he tried to pass it off as his own. this just made my day. cant wait to call him out
    Did you punch the snook in the face?
  • Deez NautsDeez Nauts Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    lol you just gave yourself away andy! whats up brotha? nope, kissed her on the mouth and let her go. i'll punch a keeper if i ever boat one
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    **** claiming another mans fish is a criminal offense.
    Hah. Fish need to know their roll in life! Nick and I have some plans on flamingo rigs we are going to make this winter. Need to go back more prepared next time!
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    You gotta call him out on that one.....that is a career snook right there.....down right impressive to say the least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Just saw your post....fantastic snook...congrats on a real beauty there....hoping to get on them later this week. Nice red, too.
  • Flats blue 96Flats blue 96 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    :fishing