Home General Paddle Craft

FS Kayak Challenge – Measuring/Photographing Your Catch

In order to receive points, anglers in the Florida Sportsman Kayak Challenge will have to know how to properly measure and photograph their catch. Using the right measuring device and technique will keep anglers from getting their photos disqualified. Peter Hinck, Tournament Director and Photo Judge, gives some great pointers on how to do just this in the above video segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWrKDyD_syo&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Tournament Director title goes to Bonitabob,:hail with out his help there would not be a tournament. If you have any questions on how to get a good pic, this is the place to ask. Read over the rules and have a great tournament.
    Everyone, make sure that your lip grip dose not get in the way of the fish when taking a pic. We have to see the whole fish and the ruler. If fishing at night use a flash and get all of the fish so we can see it. Offshore, make sure you have a photo of the token with the fish.

Lip grip in the way.

Needs flash or more light.

Needs token.

Take time and get a good pic.
    Good luck to all.
  • jbrojbro Posts: 39 Deckhand
    One way of solving the fish grip/lip problem is to not allow them in the photos to begin with. Redfish, trout, and snook usually don't jump off the board. They're all even more docile at night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fljerryfljerry Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    jbro wrote: »
    One way of solving the fish grip/lip problem is to not allow them in the photos to begin with. Redfish, trout, and snook usually don't jump off the board. They're all even more docile at night.

Be careful there jbro...I've always used a fish grip in the pic with no problems. I have had plenty of snook, reds and trout jump off the board back into the water and without the grip they would have been gone. The fish tail is supposed to be in a natural lay position on the board. With the measuring board that you use, the fish tail is never in a natural lay position. Maybe, the judges should only allow flat measuring boards! :shrug
    Use the grip, if you like but make sure that you can see the whole fish.
  • jbrojbro Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Jerry, my first couple of pictures are always with a fish grip too (tied to the kayak in case the fish jumps out), but I also get pictures without the fish grip to avoid any issue (as seen above) with it being in the picture. Guess I'm a fish tamer beause of the 100's of fish I've put on a board in a kayak, I may have had 10 flop off without getting a picture (probably going to have every fish jump off the board from here on out lol). And don't worry, all my big fish will be laying on their sides :wink I was just stating a way to make the judgement a lot easier for judges in the future. My statements below are also for the potential improvement and ease of tournament judging in the *future*.

When the FWC or any state game and fish agency measures a fish they are not going to do so with any type of "lip" device in the fishes mouth, and they're going to bend that fish a thousand ways to see if it crosses a minimum or maximum limit in any way. This "natural" lay terminology is an erroneous concept depending on the species. The only fishes that naturally lay on their side are flatfishes like flounder. Fish biologist and state game and fish agency define total length (TL) as the measurement from the forward-most point of the fish with the mouth closed to the tip of the longer lobe of the caudal fin with the tail pinched. The absolute TL of a fish is not going to change if the fish is measured laying on a single flat board on its side or on its belly on a right angle board.

With this information in mind I would suggest the following for *future* tournaments (not this one as it has already started), particularly inshore.

1) Length format should be TL ("Natural" lay and not allowing pinched tails creates too much potential mis-interpreation of whether or not someone may have pinched the tail slightly, or a lot, before taking the picture). Having a TL formats allows the option of pinching the tail of a fish which anglers should make every attempt to do so in order to get the maximum points out of a fish.
    2) Flat measuring boards, single or right-angled, should be required (Any serious tournament angler without a large flat bottom in their kayak should have one of these to begin with. A bent measuring device could skew the apparent TL of the fish).
    3) No fish-lip devices or lures should be in the fish's mouth (As this could also skew the apparent TL of the fish).
    4) The fish's mouth must be closed. This is slightly harder to achieve (but still doable) for snook and trout as they both have underbites, and trout love to "pop" their mouths open when on a measuring device.

I will be taking pictures of fish this week to support my suggestions.

To Bonitabob, Palmbeachpete, and everyone else involved with making this tournament happen, thank you guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jason...that is what forums are for..."Suggestions". Tournaments are for fishing and the rules are set prior to the tournament date and should never be changed during the course of the tournament. Pete was just commenting on problem photos that may be disqualified or a potential loss of inches so that others would not make the same mistake. Good Luck!
  • NELBAGNELBAG Posts: 251 Officer
    agreed with jbro...it should up to the angler to get the most length out of a fish...much easier on judgement.
    NELBAG wrote: »
    agreed with jbro...it should up to the angler to get a the most length out of a fish...much easier on judgement.

What are you trying to spit out there Brian :rotflmao. To much time on the water. I also agree, in the next tourney all tails should be pinched as in accordance with the FWC. Jason and I posted that before the tourney started with not much interest from others. It's so much easier to judge that way, but it's to late to change now. Good Luck!
  • NELBAGNELBAG Posts: 251 Officer
    Jerry...you need to get offshore again
  • blkkuntryblkkuntry Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Todays catches hopefully uploaded them right.