Radar for Tracking Storms

GJBenn85GJBenn85 Posts: 1,364 Officer
I'm considering the possibility of installing a radar unit on my boat to track storms. I'm not really interested in tracking birds or anything of that nature so do not think I need anything extraordinarily powerful. I also do not know anything about radars. Anyone able to point me in the right direction for a decent unit? Would prefer to keep it under $2k...

Replies

• alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,664 Captain
    dont really need that. perhaps look into sirius weather or XM weather.

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    X2. You can get the same Doppler Radar images on your chartplotter that you see on the evening news - much better than anything you see on a radar screen after you learn how to read a radar screen. Plus you can see what is going on further ahead, behind, or wherever you might want to go - things a boat radar can not show you.
  • Ocean MotionOcean Motion Posts: 583 Officer
    Any smart phone that has internet capabilities will give you the info you want. Just look up your favorite local TV channel's weather site and go the their Doppler 5 radar display. You can localize the screen or get a larger picture of the whole country and you can animate the storm's direction.

I was also toying with getting a radar unit only to track weather but decided to get a Droid instead which will give me all the local weather information I may need to make an informed decision on whether to stay put or pack up and run for for the dock.

By doing some smart research on the Web, I was able to get the Droid for FREE :Rockon as long as I was willing to up my contract for another two years and my contract was due in two months. Free phones for both the wife and myself. I saved a ton of $$$ :applause
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    I have Sirius Marine Weather on my boat. Like said above, it will give you a doppler type image. It will also give you a lightning strike warning, as well as give you speed and direction of T storms.

It also gives forecasted wave height, sea surface temps, and NOAA marine zone forecasts.
  • craw_daddycraw_daddy Posts: 224 Deckhand
    a 4' 4kW array would be good at storm tracking as well as nighttime boat collision/traffic avoidance..
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Any smart phone that has internet capabilities will give you the info you want. Just look up your favorite local TV channel's weather site and go the their Doppler 5 radar display. You can localize the screen or get a larger picture of the whole country and you can animate the storm's direction.

I was also toying with getting a radar unit only to track weather but decided to get a Droid instead which will give me all the local weather information I may need to make an informed decision on whether to stay put or pack up and run for for the dock.

By doing some smart research on the Web, I was able to get the Droid for FREE :Rockon as long as I was willing to up my contract for another two years and my contract was due in two months. Free phones for both the wife and myself. I saved a ton of $$$ :applause

What do you do when you are so far off shore that cells no longer work? I believe the GPS will work with out being connected to the network, but i thought the radar need the network to work? Reason i ask is i am looking to getting a smart phone finally.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
    century7 wrote: »
    What do you do when you are so far off shore that cells no longer work? I believe the GPS will work with out being connected to the network, but i thought the radar need the network to work? Reason i ask is i am looking to getting a smart phone finally.

You are lost and need to do a LOT more homework as a smart phone is worthless once you get a few miles offshore. :Agree
    Beck wrote: »
    I have Sirius Marine Weather on my boat. Like said above, it will give you a doppler type image. It will also give you a lightning strike warning, as well as give you speed and direction of T storms.

It also gives forecasted wave height, sea surface temps, and NOAA marine zone forecasts.

Yours and Alacrity's advice is the best advice you can get if you want to know what is going on around you, and equally important, WHERE/what direction the storms are going. :thumbsup
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Beck wrote: »

This ^. When I got my boat it had every bell and whistle. The only thing I added was Sirius Satellite Weather and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've been able to save many trips where I would have normally never left the dock. Likewise, I'm consistently able to completely dodge storms and more importantly lightning strikes out there while well offshore. GREAT safety product for solid piece-of-mind, and much cheaper than a quality radar.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    The best thing to track storms with is Sirius/Xm weather.
    Collision avoidance at night/fog, and also to monitor relatively close storms? A 4kw or better radar.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270