Home Ask the Law!

What if? A Gator question

DiehardDiehard Posts: 68 Deckhand
Ok, here's the deal. Your fishing along a river or inlet and a gator that you did not see coming starts after you.
You have a handgun...can you shoot the gator?
My buddy said yes...I'm unsure??

Need a clarification from a LEO

Thanks,

Diehard

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Not sure if it is legal, but I believe if something is trying to kill you and you cant get away, you have the right to kill it weather it is a gator or human.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    Kill the Gator, but expect a lot of paperwork and a fine. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Diehard wrote: »
    Ok, here's the deal. Your fishing along a river or inlet and a gator that you did not see coming starts after you.
    You have a handgun...can you shoot the gator?
    My buddy said yes...I'm unsure??

Need a clarification from a LEO

Thanks,

Diehard

".......can you shoot the gator?"
    Probably not cause I've been around a lot of gators and they usually go away from me. So an agressive one, which I "did not see", would be unexpected and probably strike before I could ..... a. see it,...... b. "clear leather". Assuming that I wasn't in my big boat, which would negate the discussion. In the kayak I'd be too busy getting out of the way.

So the question to be answered in the investigation would be were you hunting the gator, and just have an alibi story?

Note..... shooting fish or gators is generally not allowed even when hunting them in Florida.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • Shoot him then go home! (oh and don't take the gator with you)
  • DiehardDiehard Posts: 68 Deckhand
    It would be a him or me situation when fishing from land. Have no interest in just killing one for the heck of it. But I have no intention of becoming "dinner" and too dang old to out run it.

Diehard
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    pretty simple> Fl has a "Stand your ground law".... LOL... JK...in all honesty people can say Gators will
    never attack someone...but!!! fatal attacks have gone up over the yrs.. from 2001 to 2007 we had 13
    fatal attacks... and a chit load of regular attack where people survive (some loss a limb)

Yes some of these attacks were the fault of stupid people> but some happen without the person doing anything..
    and you also have Dumb **** people that will feed gators :banghead

Yes gators as a rule don't eat people...But!!!! There are "Exceptions to every rule...just like sharks... you have
    a better chance of dying from a bee sting> and in saying that... if you feel your life or others are in danger
    from "Anything" then it's your right to defend yourself.. and if it happens> IMO go home..

Bottom line> I rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    If its truly a life or death situation, then who cares? Do what you must and have no second thoughts.
  • DiehardDiehard Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Hope the situation never arises but should it, he's a gone gator.

Good fishing and be safe

Diehard
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Ask yourself this question, "What would Bruce Willis do?"