It felt good to be back on the tractor

Started turning dirt till the rain ran me off this morning.
Early Nov planting as usual.
Who else is prepping?
F the feds

Replies

• CynicalCynical Posts: 271 Deckhand
    I spent Saturday mowing until I had a failure in the universal joint on the drive end of the pto shaft. Couldn't get it fixed with what I had to work with in the field. Hooked up the disc harrow and went to work. Got most everything turned in well; so much more productive with a heavy disc instead of the chicken**** I worked with previously.

Decided to tackle a massive patch of cogongrass where I want to have soybeans next year. That stuffs relentless. I have it turned and cut well but the root system is incredible. Hopefully I have it tamed for the remaining warm season and I'll spray in the spring before planting. I hope that kills the stuff.
  • teampryorteampryor Posts: 218 Officer
    New blades on the brush hog and oh what a difference. Changing them not for the faint of heart though.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    What are you planing in Nov?

I just planted some collards and carrots. My summer tomato crop seemed to get decimated by heavy rains.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,497 Captain
    With all the rain my tomatoes didn't do anything this year. I can usually grow some good ones, with everything you spend on growing them it's cheaper to buy them. At the U-pick farm $7 bucks for 5 gal bucket.
  • manleymanley Posts: 875 Officer
    I did a little mowing at the farm a few weeks ago.
    It felt good to let the mind wander... you can do a lot of thinking while looking at the left front wheel of a tractor!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,277 AG
    I also enjoy tractor work. I've been helping 2 friends at their places for the last 2 months. Building and repairing stands, filling feeders, trimming plot edges, mowing, turning dirt. We'll plant ones place Oct 4, another Oct 5 and then mine at the house Oct 6. I did it differently this yr. I mowed my plot 2 weeks ago, let it sit for 2 weeks then sprayed it last Friday, let it sit for 2 weeks and then turn the dirt and plant. Per some talk on GON doing it this way will weaken the roots on some of the harder to kill stuff and make turning the dirt easier. We'll see...
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,516 Captain
    I've destroyed one tractor already....someone borrowed it and put grade 8 bolt in place of shear pin
    micci_man wrote: »
    I also enjoy tractor work. I've been helping 2 friends at their places for the last 2 months. Building and repairing stands, filling feeders, trimming plot edges, mowing, turning dirt. We'll plant ones place Oct 4, another Oct 5 and then mine at the house Oct 6. I did it differently this yr. I mowed my plot 2 weeks ago, let it sit for 2 weeks then sprayed it last Friday, let it sit for 2 weeks and then turn the dirt and plant. Per some talk on GON doing it this way will weaken the roots on some of the harder to kill stuff and make turning the dirt easier. We'll see...

I wouldn't have mowed before spraying, I'd swap those steps (spray, then mow). It will make your work easier though.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    stc1993 wrote: »
    With all the rain my tomatoes didn't do anything this year. I can usually grow some good ones, with everything you spend on growing them it's cheaper to buy them. At the U-pick farm $7 bucks for 5 gal bucket.

I know it's cheaper to buy them but that's not exactly the point for me. Normally it gives me a steady supply of fresh tasty tomatoes, and gives me something to do after work.
    You want to spray the new growth not old dormant standing grass/weeds. new growth will get the poison to the root system better and therefore causing the root system to break down. At least that's what a fella on GON says that sprays poison for a living. Who knows....I don't have a dead matt of grass laying on top of the ground either after mowing. Lots of bare dirt showing. Should disc well.

I'll let you know how it turns out vrs the ways I've done it in past yrs.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    You want to spray the new growth not old dormant standing grass/weeds. new growth will get the poison to the root system better and therefore causing the root system to break down. At least that's what a fella on GON says that sprays poison for a living. Who knows....I don't have a dead matt of grass laying on top of the ground either after mowing. Lots of bare dirt showing. Should disc well.

I'll let you know how it turns out vrs the ways I've done it in past yrs.

As long as you have enough plant surface area to take the herbicide. That's the risk with mowing first. You wouldn't have a mat this way either because the plants are dried up to nothing when you mow. Think about no-till farming; they burn down with a spray application, and later mow as low as possible and drill right into that immediately after mowing.
    10-4 I'll let you know if it fails but I think I'll be fine. Time will tell...
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,952 Captain
    Mow, spray, burn, and turn.

Hey Brent, What broke instead of that bolt??. LOL!!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    LiveLine wrote: »
    I've destroyed one tractor already....someone borrowed it and put grade 8 bolt in place of shear pin

OMG!!
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,867 Captain
    I just run over my dirt now, twice,,,,,,then in 6 weeks one more time, place seed and drag it.
    Most folks plant to early for my tastes. The deer are not going to hit the green stuff till the acorns
    are gone and the browse has a heavy frost on it. This equates to sometime in Dec. here.
    Deer like tender browse, my neighbors will not have it as they plant now, mine wont be up until Thanksgiving.
    F the feds
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,516 Captain
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Mow, spray, burn, and turn.

Hey Brent, What broke instead of that bolt??. LOL!!!

PTO shaft internally....
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,952 Captain
    LiveLine wrote: »
    PTO shaft internally....

Sorry to laugh.. That sucks, man.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,097 AG
    I have miles and miles of roads to bushhog first then hopefully can get into the mushy food plots. Got lots of downed trees to move, too.

I've already got a little tick problem in my house and spending all weekend in the bush won't make that any better. Wife will kill me if I bRing more in the **** house. Maybe I should bathe in DDT.
    I may be entitled to compensation.
    SAENole wrote: »
    I've already got a little tick problem in my house and spending all weekend in the bush won't make that any better. Wife will kill me if I bRing more in the **** house. Maybe I should bathe in DDT.

Tick problem....... Been there done that and had to get professional help to rid the problem. took 3 trips, once a week and he left me some spray the last time. Run the vaccume and you will find them quick...Look at the walls.. All my life in the woods and into the house and never had it happen before. Don't let them hatch out what ever you do!!!
  • PineywoodsPineywoods Posts: 105 Deckhand
    Bottom plowed one plot gonna spray the other 2. Then gonna broadcast 2 of them and no till drill the other one and see how they come out. Working on another project and been on the tractor every day since Friday it was nice being on it again the first day or two but not so much now :rotflmao
  • StonewallStonewall Posts: 848 Officer
    Cynical wrote: »
    I wouldn't have mowed before spraying, I'd swap those steps (spray, then mow). It will make your work easier though.

Doesn't really matter this time of year especially if waiting two weeks no need to switch it up MM as you probably know. I'm sure everything was drt after two weeks.
    Can't never did try!
    Has anybody planted Frostmaster Winter Peas I usually plant Austrian Winter Peas but they claim these don't have tannin and are sweeter
    Pineywoods wrote: »
    Has anybody planted Frostmaster Winter Peas I usually plant Austrian Winter Peas but they claim these don't have tannin and are sweeter

No. My Austrian winter peas never make it very far before they get eaten. No need for me to change, yet.
    Cynical wrote: »
    No. My Austrian winter peas never make it very far before they get eaten. No need for me to change, yet.

I hear you last year I planted a five way mix and I added 50 lbs of peas per acre and the deer walked thru the plots and nipped every single pea as it sprouted not touching the other stuff till every pea was gone. This year I'm planting more area
    Not sure what it is but the deer don't really care for AWP's at my place. **** neither but I'm not sure it really gets cold long enough for the **** to turn sweet. I am going to get some Triticale to plant in a section of my plot to see how they like it.

Heading to a buddies place after work. Planting 23 plots tomorrow and mine at the house Sat if the rain will allow.