Trim Tabs Electric Vs Hydrolic

ShottShott Posts: 203 Officer
Thinking of putting trim tabs on a 17ft flats. What are the pros and cons of electric and hydrolic? Thanks.

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    Both are good. The hydro ones require a tank/pump space in the bilge and the electric don't.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • leadheadleadhead Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    In my opinion, get the hydro. BENNETTS that way when something goes wrong with them Tabman will give you all the help you could imagine. Just do a search as to how many people he has helped.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    I hear that lenco's might be a bit faster but I'll say that the only tabs I have ever or will ever use are Bennett products due in no small part to the support provided by Tabman. I also think hydraulic tabs are better suited to the marine environment.
  • leadhead wrote: »
    In my opinion, get the hydro. BENNETTS that way when something goes wrong with them Tabman will give you all the help you could imagine. Just do a search as to how many people he has helped.

The best part about Bennetts might be Tabman,
    the other best part is you'll probably never
    need to talk to him.

Lots of new boats are rigged w/Lencos, easier.
    My last new boat I had delivered delete Lencos and
    installed my own Bennetts.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    Tabman wouldn't give advise if the Bennett tabs were trouble free. Every mechanical item breaks. The Bennett unit can leak hydro fluid/tranni oil and the Lenco are more environmental friendly. I have owned them both and great units.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    I have owned both but favor Lenco.
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 742 Officer
    I thought about putting a set on my boat, but the way the back of the boat is set up and that the bunks extend beyond the tail of the boat doesn't make it very friendly to tabs. My eyelets for strapping the boat to the trailer are right above where the tabs would go and my straps would probably have to cross the tabs.
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    i've had both, currently have hydraulic on inshore boats. I would go back to electric next time. The hydraulic have not caused any issues, but I don't like having another pump with another set of hose that will eventually leak.

If you are talking big offshore boats, K-Planes are the only way to go IMO.
  • PattonC222PattonC222 Posts: 286 Officer
    rehartline wrote: »
    I thought about putting a set on my boat, but the way the back of the boat is set up and that the bunks extend beyond the tail of the boat doesn't make it very friendly to tabs. My eyelets for strapping the boat to the trailer are right above where the tabs would go and my straps would probably have to cross the tabs.

Take a saw and cut the ends of your bunks off, then re-drill holes for the strap rings. I am only suggesting this because tabs are IMO one of the best ways to increase the performance of any boat period. If it rides good now, it will run great with tabs.

I am going to have to lean towards lenco's. They are simpler and I value instant response when I hit the switch, instant reaction with electrics. Lenco also has great customer service, I recommend highly. The main positive I hear about the bennet's mainly applies to how they are sealed for those who keep their boats in the water.. Or so I am told.

My last recommendation is to get a slightly larger size than suggested. If they say 9x12, I would get 12x12. More surface area will provide you with more control.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    I have had Lenco's on many of my past boats and they are awesome!

Their customer service is above par and many times, our members have had free support even though the tabs or actuators are WAY out of warranty.

I did have a large issue with Bennetts on another boat and their customer service did NOT rectify the problem.

I did have a chance at a much later date to speak to Tabman (works for Bennett) on here and I have no doubt that he would take care of any issues that may arise.

Good luck

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    My experience has always been with Bennetts, but now the new rig has Lencos and they are stupid fast! If you stay on that button like you would with the Bennetts, you look stupid fast.:grin

With the change over from 2 to 4 stroke and Lencos, it opened up my rear hatch and stays nice and clean, which also allowed me for easy raw water wash down pump. :)
  • BiohazzardBiohazzard Posts: 221 Officer
    Electric= Fast, and space conserving but loud, Hydraulic=Quiet, slow and pump takes up bilge space. Customer service is comparable.
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 540 Officer
    I am using Lectrotabs on my 19-6 KW Bay/Reef. Electric with a remote control switch on the console . . .no running of wires.
    OD

http://www.lectrotab.com/
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,101 Officer
    have had my Lenco's on my 2004 w/a since 2004 w/ no troubles. I constantly am on them...They seam to be power hungry though
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • slapshotslapshot Posts: 172 Officer
    I have owned both and also prefer Lenco.
  • makin movesmakin moves Posts: 40 Deckhand
    I have the minn kota electric tabs on my 16ft skiff and they have been great so far. There queit, fast, and on the small skiffs you dont have the weight of the hyd. pump
  • seabob4seabob4 Posts: 58 Deckhand
    I have the minn kota electric tabs on my 16ft skiff and they have been great so far. There queit, fast, and on the small skiffs you dont have the weight of the hyd. pump

What, about 3 lbs.?
    ...beer is good...more beer is more good...
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    electric motor x2 under water.
    Electric motor in the bilge.

Almost all Bennet issues you hear on here are wiring/plug connection issues. If it were to fail you easily retract them by loosening a hose. It's very dangerous to have a tab stuck down. I've never had lencos but there's a boat in my yard with the end broken off of one.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    CaptTater wrote: »
    electric motor x2 under water.
    Electric motor in the bilge.

Almost all Bennet issues you hear on here are wiring/plug connection issues. If it were to fail you easily retract them by loosening a hose. It's very dangerous to have a tab stuck down. I've never had lencos but there's a boat in my yard with the end broken off of one.

Yep, 1/2" wrench, loosen the compression nut, they come right up...:)

And BTW, what's with the smileys on here? No "Thumb's up"?Shruggingshoulders.gif
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    It's off to the right when you "Advanced reply".
    :thumbsup

the code is : thumbsup
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    Tater, they have some work to do here...