rydlyme flush

vettett15vettett15 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
First post, have a 1997 20 scout with a similarly aged Yamaha 200. Last time i was flushing i noticed that the heads felt a but hotter than i thought they should be and that the starboard head was warmer than the port. I had read about people flushing with rydlyme and figured I'd try it before i began to ruin into issues.

Materials:
Five gallons of rydlyme, used half
Cheap harbor freight 260 gallon pond pump
.5 inch tubing
5 gallon bucket
Tubing to route the pee stream back into the bucket
Something to keep the pump off the bottom of the bucket

Removed the lower unit
Removed the thermostats
Hooked the .5 tubing from the pump to the water pick up tube
Routed the hose for the pee stream into the bucket
filed the bucket with water to ensure everything was working
Did a 50/50 mix of Easter and rydlyme
ran for three hours
Flushed with water for an hour
Removed thermostat housing for after pictures

Didn't get a chance to run it because i discovered my lower unit needs seals.

The pictures show two things, the port side seems to have more deposits than starboard which corresponds with the temp difference and also rydlyme really removes alot of the crud.

Port before
IMG_20130929_121204_915_zpsfc167a58.jpg

Port after
IMG_20130929_172535_990_zps8e48474f.jpg

Starboard before
IMG_20130929_121213_197_zps0673af4d.jpg

Starboard after
IMG_20130929_172550_958_zpsfa480c3d.jpg

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Looks 100% better and has to enhance cooling. I briefed over their web-site, but couldn't find anything specific to aluminum or outboard motors. Is there more information?
  • vettett15vettett15 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    That will be the real test and as soon as i get my lower unit back i will try it out.

You can find outboard flushing instructions here
    http://pacificmarineproducts.com

On the left hand side you will see a link to outboard flushing. This will open up a pdf.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    You do know that it's just hydrochloric (muriatic) acid right?

That is what an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride is if you don't want to say it's diluted acid.
    http://www.apexengineeringproducts.com/assets/1/7/Rydlyme_MSDS_US_0812.pdf

It does exactly what you found..among other things. Use at your own risk.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    Understood but I'd rather try something that had been used for this exact purpose as opposed to playing chemist. Certainly someone with the knowledge and or tine could make something that works just as well but it is more than just acid in their formulation.. I'd rather pay the money to use their chemists. Certainly should use at your own risk but i feel comfortable about a product when i can't find someone complaining about it on the entire internet....
  • SumotimeSumotime Posts: 178 Officer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPss8dJa30

Google how to clean your cooling system with vinegar on the HT . This should help
    vettett15 wrote: »
    Understood but I'd rather try something that had been used for this exact purpose as opposed to playing chemist. Certainly someone with the knowledge and or tine could make something that works just as well but it is more than just acid in their formulation.. I'd rather pay the money to use their chemists. Certainly should use at your own risk but i feel comfortable about a product when i can't find someone complaining about it on the entire internet....

I find this troubling.
    RYDLYME Marine™ has been used by the Royal Australian Navy, and even the US Environmental Protection Agency. It is a safe, biodegradable, non-acid electrolytic descaling solution which will not corrode or damage metal engine components, gaskets, seals or o-rings.

considering

hy·dro·chlo·ric acid (hdr-klôrk)
    n.
    A clear, colorless, fuming, poisonous, highly acidic aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride, normally present in a dilute form in gastric juice, and used in a variety of laboratory processes.

I use it to do exactly what you are for specific parts but I do not run it through my motor. Take a thermostat or a piece of aluminum and drop it in and see what happens. As soon as I saw that blackened aluminum I knew what the chemical was. It will severely damage place around head gaskets, everywhere stainless and aluminum touch and more. I even use it to get out stuck stainless bolts as it will quickly eat the corrosion around the bolt and slow down to a crawl on the good aluminum.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • SumotimeSumotime Posts: 178 Officer
    Tater so his method of desalting is a good way of doing it BUt just his choice of chemicals is in question? Your opinion on vinegar.
    They have some information regarding your concerns.

5. RYDLYME does not corrode, erode, attack, oxidize or have other deleterious affects on virtually any metal or materials found in water systems such as:

COPPER FIBER LEATHER IRON
    RUBBER STEEL TITANIUM GLASS

Or other materials found in heat exchangers, vacuum pumps, evaporators, condensers, and/or other water cooled, water heated, or water operated equipment when used as directed.

6. The exception to number 5 above, when using 100% concentrated (non-diluted) RYDLYME on magnesium, zinc, and/or aluminum, it could oxidize or pit. Furthermore, polished chrome and some alloys of stainless steel could become discolored. It is not recommended for use with concentrated solutions. The rule of thumb is that if the alloy is designed for use in a water system (aluminum engine block, aluminum mold, etc.), the alloy should be compatible with the RYDLYME solution. Otherwise, it is recommended that the RYDLYME be diluted50% or more with water when cleaning.

Again, I'm far from the first person to use this on my outboard. Without knowing the formula I'm not sure we can make such claims on top of diluting it during use.

I sold the rest to some friends but if i get my hands on some i can run some tests you speak of. There are many types of aluminum and without using the type in our motors I'm not sure how good of a test that is. Also the thermostat isn't in the motor when the rydlyme is so unless it is the materials that thermostats are made up of is what you are interested in I'm not sure what good that is. I would suggest anyone interested in it to call the manufacture to ensure it its safe for their application but some of your claims seem a little extreme considering one of the main uses is to flush marine motors., if someone had severe damage i guarantee that you would find complaints.
    do what you want I don't care. Plenty of corrosion removers are acid.. this one is particularly harsh. Starbrite hull cleaner /stain remover is HCL too.
    You want to see what it does to aluminum here. It is my go to for cleaning aluminum, stainless etc but I'm not running it through my motor. They say that rydlyme can oxidize aluminum and that's absolutely false. It dissolves aluminum, see the video. It reacts faster as it etches the surface giving it more surface area. If you dilute it it just does this same thing slower. If you dilute it with tap water just like pouring acid in the pool it reacts with the minerals and is no longer HCL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLmbmh59-g

The result of HCL(aq) + aluminum is Alumunum Chloride (a salt) + hydrogen gas(the bubbles)

I used to do this to make hydrogen gas to make rockets from 2 liter bottles.

All I'm saying is it cleans and it's harmful to aluminum. It's less harmful than overheating.

MaryKate On and Off is the same.. Aluminum pontoon cleaners frequently are... just be careful and consider NOT using it for normal flushing. You may not see any complaints. Many people won't equate a motor flush to corroded away cylinder walls. I've seen it. The head gasket wouldn't even seal anymore.