Home General Paddle Craft

Brushing off the rust

Well guys haven't had the kayak out in a long time. So I loaded up and headed out today. Stayed close to home as I had plans this afternoon for I hit up Bingham islands hoping for some snook and to knock some of the rust off to get ready for the kayak tourney. Lures today were doa as always and I broke out an unfair lure that I had purchased but never used since the last trip out. Pattern was rip n slash in mullet. Lots of mullet everywhere with fish chasing them like crazy. First two hours were slow going so I paddled to the eastern part of the icw and hit up some docks. As I was switching out lures I watch 3 snook decimate a school of mullet I have never tied a lure so fast in my life but never got a chance. Paddled down a few more docks and switch back to the rip n slash cast up near a collapsed section of dock and get slammed but miss the fish quick recast in same spot and I get slammed again.. Very excited thinking I got a snook on and when the first broke the surface I was amazed to see a very noticeable copper shimmer and black tail dot!!!!!! Now my excitement was upped and my heart was pumping red made a few small runs and bingo boated. My first red ever and none the less in palm beach county. Have always heard of people claiming to catch them this car south but never seen it well now I have the proof.
time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    That explains the missed strike, and congrats on your first!
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    What explains the missed strike???
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    irishff727 wrote: »
    What explains the missed strike???

Don't redfish often miss the bait on the first strike? Think he means if it was a snook it would have gotten it at first, but since it was a redfish it explains the missed strike...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    Congrats. The Rip n Slash is a good lure, I just can't seem to find the larger one's in stock anywhere! There real trout killers.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    Congrats. The Rip n Slash is a good lure, I just can't seem to find the larger one's in stock anywhere! There real trout killers.

Tim, Try Fishing Headquarters in Jupiter on A1A. I had my reels cleaned there this past week and they have a huge selection of those lures. I grabbed a few myself.
    irishff727 wrote: »
    My first red ever and none the less in palm beach county. Have always heard of people claiming to catch them this car south but never seen it well now I have the proof.

Congrats on your 1st red, Irish. I could be wrong but I think the crap water up this way is pushing the reds further south and north. I've heard from a few people they have seen some nice reds around the inlet there.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    Wouldn't be surprised by that fact and to be honest I wouldn't mind at all catching more reds. Even though I would much rather the river get clean than catching reds
  • jivariejivarie Posts: 127 Officer
    Don't redfish often miss the bait on the first strike? Think he means if it was a snook it would have gotten it at first, but since it was a redfish it explains the missed strike...

A lot of times they knock a topwater into the air with their big dumb heads. They gotta get their face completely out of the water to grab the lure.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/kayakfishing - Help the kayakfishing community grow!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    DELICIOUS!!!! Nice tri county red! A sight for sore eyes that's for sure!

I like 'em with the scales on, grilled "on the half shell" those armor like scales harden up on the grill to the point where you can eat the meat out as you would a lobster tail....amazing.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback