Whitebait

I leave from rumrunners in Cape Coral,FL and was curious to know if anybody else noticed that all the whitebait seems to have vanished this past week. I searched high and low and could not seem to find them anywhere from the miserable mile to sister key. Anybody else have this problem lately? I guess pinfish are going to have to do..

Replies

• kymasabekymasabe Posts: 111 Officer
    There's a bait boat anchored along the miserable mile that I stopped at a few weeks ago and he told me that he hasn't had anything but pinfish for weeks because of all the fresh water coming down the river. I'd been finding greenbacks at Jug Creek Shoal at the north end of Pine Island and someone recently posted there was bait all around the bridge at Blind Pass.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    I was able to find a couple good schools of whitebait just north of the end of the miserable mile going out this morning. They were getting slammed though. I think the fish were kinda of amazed to see them there too. Because they were slamming them all over the place like candy. Caught a couple small red, and 2 Spanish macs.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • AaronMurnaneAaronMurnane Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Yeh, only way up north in the sound can we get them and thats out of my way usually. Where north of the miserable mile? by the little island you pass on your right, if you were heading out towards picinic island? or?
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Yeh, only way up north in the sound can we get them and thats out of my way usually. Where north of the miserable mile? by the little island you pass on your right, if you were heading out towards picinic island? or?

Put this in google maps.
    26.519545,-82.009596 (Caloosahatchee River, Fort Myers, FL 33908, United States)
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Aquaman13Aquaman13 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I'd guess it is the river water. I had a buddy that fishes up towards the north side of Charlotte Harbor that said the whitebait was thick and good sized.