Home General Fishing

Looking for new surf rod suggestions

kantczakkantczak Posts: 163 Officer
I got two rods from **** last summer when I moved to Merritt island and I got 9 footers and they are nice but to short and stiff I just can't make the long casts so I'm looking for new ones I would like something with a thinner handle that won't break the bank. I put a pic of what I have now and they have the thinner handle and I just like the way they feel

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,921 Captain
    try Tsunami surf rods great rods at that price point
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • kantczakkantczak Posts: 163 Officer
    That's what I have actually do they make them longer
  • dannosdoormatsdannosdoormats Posts: 181 Deckhand
    Def. get the 12 ft Tsunami- like you I had 10 fters, that extra 2 ft really makes a diff. about $ 129.00
    Do the 12ft still have the thinner handle
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    You could get any surf rod, cut off the original grips and change them out for the cork tape thing they have on surf rods... They sell the stuff at mudhole...
  • Takes PrizonersTakes Prizoners Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    are you plugging or throwing bait? technique? line? If it comes down to the rod, I'd recommend Tsunami Airwave. Nice rod and a great price.
  • DKDDKD Posts: 375 Deckhand
    I think the best value are Tseunami and Tica rods. St Croix and Lamiglas also make some nice surf rods. As fishboy said, you can always change the grip. Cork tape is easy to apply and doesn't cost that much.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    This is one of my favorite topics. For years now the only fishing I do is in the surf (or the inlet) and I have amassed a quiver of about a dozen surf rods. So let me tell you what I have discovered in my journey.

If you're going to do anything other than just plant the rod in a sand spike, a custom rod is the way to go. There is a five step logical progression that has led me to this conclusion:

1. Anything 'decent' rod you buy off the shelf will be a "compromise rod" designed to cast artificials or fish bait equally well. And that rod will have good - but not great - hardware such as guides, reel seat, etc.
    2. That off the shelf 'decent' rod is probably going to set you back $150-$200.
    3. A custom surf rod will be set up to do EXACTLY what you want it to do. You can also have it fitted with the top-of-the-line hardware.
    4. That custom rod will run you about $200.

5. In conclusion, if you're going to spend $150+ on a compromise rod you might as well get a much higher quality rod for about $50 more.

The secret is: the key to keeping the cost down on a custom rod is STAY AWAY FROM THE FANCY WRAPS AND AESTHETIC HORSE PUCKY. For example, my first custom surf rod is a 10' single piece set up for freelining big live mullet in the surf. I had some fancy orange and blue guide wraps on it, and a really cool snook woven into the reel seat wraps, and the deluxe cork grips, and it set me back $450. The next custom rod I bought is a deadly 10' single piece set up for casting 1-2 oz artificials. It is my favorite rod. I had it set up with plain black wraps and grip tape on the butt. It set me back $200.

Now here is the other secret: if you're going to be just a casual surf fisherman, the Walmart cheapies are probably just fine. I know because I fish three ANDE 'tournament fishing' rods that I got from Walmart for around $50-$60. One ten footer and two twelve footers. I use them to cast artificials, freeline live bait and plant in the sand spike. And they're all decent.

So I guess the ultimate conclusion is this: I just don't see the advantage in those "middle range" surf rods that are $150 and more, and not that much better than a Walmart 'cheapie.' Especially since for a few bucks more you can get a custom. And this shows in my quiver, it is about 50/50 custom rods/'cheapie' rods.

IM me if you want the rod builder's info
    Thanks for the help guys and I sent you a im lunch money surf
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,921 Captain
    I agree with DKD, Lunch Money Surf, Fishboy. although I've never owned a custom rod. at some point I might have one built. for my budget an fishing time/abilities an off the shelf rod works fine for me.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • RollyRolly Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I have 2 penn prevail surf rods.. 1 11ft and 1 12 ft. Very good rods. Esp at 89 and 99 price point.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Rolly wrote: »
    I have 2 penn prevail surf rods.. 1 11ft and 1 12 ft. Very good rods. Esp at 89 and 99 price point.

I was looking at those, and for the price they seemed legit!!
  • RollyRolly Posts: 35 Deckhand
    They are definitely legit rods
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,620 Moderator
    200$ for a custom rod?
    Where?
    I want a few

My custom st croix and century's set me back 4-600 each rod. Made to order though
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • jhnmcl26jhnmcl26 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I use daiwa 9' surf rods and they work great. Penn 5500 reels.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    kajo wrote: »
    200$ for a custom rod?
    Where?
    I want a few

My custom st croix and century's set me back 4-600 each rod. Made to order though

I usually have 300+ tied up in componants on a jetty/surf rod before it's all said and done, and I'm not paying retail, and I'm definately not paying someone else to build it. Any rod worth building is worth building correctly. Consider the time invested in a build, and the time you're going to spend using that rod. People are strange, I know guys who mow lawns for a living that don't bat an eye paying 800$ for a fly rod, and I know guys worth millions who insist on fishing with chinese garbage. To each their own.
  • jonhuynhjonhuynh Posts: 86 Deckhand
    I have 2 Lamiglas Rods custom build 1pc 13'6 foot both come with daiwa Emblem® Pro-A have it around 2yrs will let them go at $250 each or $450 set will post pictures later if need