Fly Fishing the Dock Lights

bubujimbobubujimbo Posts: 32 Deckhand
Went out last night and hit some dock lights to try out my buddies new G-loomis Cross Current GLX fly rod. Granted the rod feels good and casts great but I still couldn't justify that much $$$ for a rod (especially on a college budget). The second set of lights was loaded with trout and not feeding so we knew it would be a challenge. We were able to pull a couple nice fish off the light and had a great night. Our best luck was on a #2 ep baitfish pattern. What rod would you guys suggest thats under $300?? I was leaning towards a TFO BVK.

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Used: Loomis GLX, Sage RPLX, Xi2, and the real buys are in two piece and three piece if you're not a frequent flyer; although I fly carry on with 3 piece case
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,174 Captain
    For modest priced rods that really deliver.. get a look at the TFO, model Ticr-X, rods. I have two of them on my skiff, a 9 and a 10wt -they've done really well in hard service on big fish.... The 10 wt has taken tarpon up to 80lbs... Since my gear takes a beating, at least once a year one rod or other has to be returned for warranty replace/repair. TFO shines there as well with modest cost and quick turnaround. When I send a rod to Sage by comparison it costs almost four times as much and even with their quickest service (I'm a full time guide....) it takes twice as long as TFO.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    NICE FISH!!!

Great advice from these experienced fellows. My BVK 8 # broke yesterday (just like Dirty told me it would) on a trout not as big as yours. I will get it fixed for sure and it will still be my go to rod. I have a 9 TICR-X like Capt mentioned and it is much stronger and just a bit heavier than the BVK.

Buy used my friend, more rod for the money.

I love the pattern you spoke of. I guessing you'll tried something all white too? Maybe white was having an off night.
  • bubujimbobubujimbo Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Yeah you could say white was having an off night lol. We spent the first 20 minutes on the light watching them follow an all white bendback. Then I switched to an all white #2 tarpon toad like fly and caught a couple smaller ones but the big guys still followed. Switched to the ep baitfish out of frustration and finally got on of the decent ones to eat. My goal is to get one of the monsters we saw (28"+) to eat. Maybe a #6 glass minnow type fly.
  • BendMenderBendMender Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Agree with Mr. Lemay's recommendation. I casted his 9wt and really appreciated the easier loading tip, but could definitely feel the backbone that rod has. More backbone is recommended if you are regularly fishing dock lights or mangroves where you need to "put the wood to them" before they take you for a ride.

Also, TFOs have the best warranty in the biz.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,299 Captain
    tarpon41 wrote: »
    Used: Loomis GLX, Sage RPLX, Xi2, and the real buys are in two piece and three piece if you're not a frequent flyer; although I fly carry on with 3 piece case

For a man on a fixed budget, this is the way to go. I've seen Xi2's go for as little as 225$ on ebay.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,052 Officer
    That's a fatty! Well done!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • bubujimbobubujimbo Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I've been looking into the TFO Ticr-X rods are really like what I've been hearing about them. I think I know what's gonna be on my Christmas list this year.
    Thanks for all the recommendations and input guys.

Austen.
  • AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
    That's a nice trout dude. How were you working the baitfish fly under the lights? Just stripping it like normal or waiting until you could see the trout start to follow it?
    Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    For a man on a fixed budget, this is the way to go. I've seen Xi2's go for as little as 225$ on ebay.

I agree with the Dirty guy. If you can't afford to buy the best rods and reels brand new for your sport, go to ebay and buy the best brands at usually half the price. Just remember a used Mercedes is still better then a brand new Ford or Dodge.

I have always advocated on here to buy a used Abel reel or a Sage/Loomis rod, as opposed to buying some new lower end junk rod or reel, Buy the best and only cry once, My 2 cents.

Carl Blackledge
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 168 Deckhand
    What Bob Lemay said . Temple fork TICRX. I have them in 5wt-8wt. The 8 wts are my go to dock rod and as Bob said, when an out of town trout fisherman high sticks a slot fish , the turn around is quick. The rods are kind of stiff and heavy. Just got back from Montana and used 5 wt for streamer fishing.Great streamer rod. The rod retails for around $250.00. I also have a 5wt pro series TFO in 8 1/2' for kayak fishing thats a joy to throw. It's softer than the TICRX. You may like it better. It retails for about $150.00, which is a great value backed up by great warranty.