Ameritrail passing the buck... advice on how to proceed

FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
Trailer is 17mos old.. several months ago I notice the passenger side tire is near bald only on the outer most edge, the rest of the tire and the one on the other side still look brand new. So sent an email to customer service and this is the response I got:
Daren, sorry about being so long on the reply. If the wear is cupping, then the tire needs balancing. If it is smooth, that one is a little harder to pin point. It could be that side is bent. That happens from hitting the curb or running off the side of the road. You might try switching sides with the tires. If the axle was crooked or too much camber, the wear would be on both sides. Hope that helps. If you need any additional, just let us know.
There is no cupping it smooth..seems like they are blaming it on me hitting a curb or going off the road, its never hit a curb, but has gone off the side of the road (who hasnt?) a time or two, but not in any severely pot holed area to the point it couldve bent the axle.. heck I would think hitting a curb wouldnt bend it as there is some seriously heavy duty material used on the torsion arm and spindle (5200k axle) plus if I hit it that hard to bend it wouldnt the rim have damage? Anyway whats the best course of action respond to the email or calling someone? Interested also if anyone else out there has had this type of wear issue.
"FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,122 Admiral
    Did you ever have to pull extra hard because the trailer wheel had gone over the drop-off at the end of the ramp? That is a common way to bend axle.

Does it have replaceable spindles? Get a new one - good to have a spare anyhow. Measure both with a T-square to see if old one is bent.

Running off road - wouldn't that usually bend axe out? Thus, wearing the inside, not outside?

Is it the outside (right) that is wearing?
    23895.gif
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 598 Officer
    I assume you are running radials and not bias ply.
    If bias,that's what they do when bounce.
    I'd get boat off trailer and use a level and than a T-square to see if anything is up.
    Than pull wheel off to look at hub,bearings and spindle.

You have been running it for 17 months--so if a factory issue, should have showed up earlier.

Good luck
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 301 Deckhand
    I had a problem like that four years ago and it was a tire problem. After a new tire no more problems, can't remember the exact problem. I would talk to a good tire shop and see what they say.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 742 Officer
    I had a similar issue last year. I changed the tire and the problem seems to have gone away.
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Fishhaid- never been off the end of the ramp, Non replaceable spindles, Sounds right, yeas outside
    Flatwater- yes radials, it didnt show up all of a sudden.. I have been putting off dealing with it and just happen to notice that the tire is now bald in that area.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    This a single axle trailer with a 20' boat on it?

And really, you've been putting off dealing with a tire wear issue and Ameritrail is passing the buck????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ASBASB Posts: 32 Deckhand
    what brand of tire?
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Sorry to hear about your tire problem, but trying to hold Ameritrail responsible for tire ware after 17 months is asking a little much. Ameritrail doesn't make the tires and lots of things can happen to the tires in 17 months.

Outside tire ware is unusual as it relates to the spindle or axle. It's as if the spindle or axle is bent down, thus putting pressure on the outside, but I can't imagine how that could happen.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    I had a similar problem with a double axle Road King trailer after them wearing on one side slowly for about 12 months. They sent someone to the house next time he was delivering to Jacksonville. He tightened up the bolts on one side that he found a little loose and said they would replaced the bias tires for free or put on radials for like $10 a tire or something nominal like that. After taking some measurements, he couldnt find anything else wrong with the setup. No problems since then. Outstanding service from Road King. General consensus is bias ply suck.. cant remember what brand of tire I had on at the time, but research and experience pointed to them sucking too. Radials are the way to go.
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 646 Officer
    What is the weight rating of the trailer and how heavy is your boat fully loaded? A common tactic of boat dealers to boost profits is to put the smallest trailer possible under the boat. This basically means the slightest mishap results in serious damage to the trailer because it's at it's maximum weight rating and can't handle any additional stress a small pot hole can cause or slight swerve off the road.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    O.SEA.D wrote: »
    What is the weight rating of the trailer and how heavy is your boat fully loaded? A common tactic of boat dealers to boost profits is to put the smallest trailer possible under the boat. This basically means the slightest mishap results in serious damage to the trailer because it's at it's maximum weight rating and can't handle any additional stress a small pot hole can cause or slight swerve off the road.

X2
    CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    ASB- They are Freestars
    SCFD- true but.. not wanting them to replace the tire, but do want it fixed, I am supercareful with all my stuff, no way I caused it by hitting something. This sort of wear doesnt show up overnight and I dont inspect my tires every day or at all for that matter... this is a slow wear and takes a while to appear
    Element- thanks for the info.. my last trailer was a road king and one side wore on the inside and the other on the outside :banghead.
    OCD & CMD- Not the case here... It has a 5200lb axle. I did some estimates of what it would weigh awhile back and it came out to right at 3k for the boat motor trailer, this took into account fuel, full livewell and 3 batts.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    Bring it to Ameratrail ask for Scott and they will make things right. They have to look at the trailer to determine if anything is wrong.I know Scott (owner) and he really cares about his customers and product. Ameratrail is a stand up company.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Thanks for the info Renegade I have hear they have great CS
  • sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    How many miles on the tires , 17 months can be a few hundred or 10,000 ? I say it's a tire issue (failure) not your fault or Ameratrail .
  • threemanxthreemanx Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I would say that if you take it over to them they will stand behind it. I ordered a hub for mine this week. Wrong one was sent out. Called them back up and they sent the correct one free of charge told me to give the other one away. I explained things happen and I didn't mind shipping it back. They told me that it wasn't my fault wrong one went out. Folks I am self employed to. I have treated people this way and it comes back to you. Ameratrail is a stand up company.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,324 Officer
    Ameratrail has great customer service. You need to bring the trailer by and have them look at it. They stand behind there product!
    No way to know for sure but its going to be above average for sure... I've put 383hrs on the motor in 17mos and I am traillering 40- 50 miles to where I fish everytime
  • sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    I think they will do the right thing , ameratrail makes a great product.
  • SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 150 Deckhand
    I have personally known Scott for years and can attest to his customer service attitude. Get it to him and if it has anything to do with a defect he will take care of it and more. I have purchased 3 trailers from him (1 for a flats boat and 2 tripple axles off shore boats) and they were top notch every one.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.