Home General Paddle Craft

Artificial Shrimp for Snapper.

MagooMagoo Posts: 47 Greenhorn
Hello, I just wanted to find out what is the best artificial shrimp for mangrove snappers and sea trout. I usually fish with live shrimp on popping cork, split pea weight and 1/0 hook or knocker rig. What artificial Shrimp can I use instead of the live shrimp? Is there anything else you recommend?
Thank you for your assistance.
Magoo

Replies

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    DOA shrimp work really well for snapper and even better for seatrout
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    DOA or gulp shrimp in new penny color works well, but a bit pricey if u go through a bunch of them.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Fished under a cork, it's hard to argue with the DOA "deadly combo" however I prefer fishing a 3" Gulp! shrimp under the cork either on an Owner weighted worm hook (falls more natural in the water) or on a 1/8 to 1/4oz jig head for casting distance. I like the new penny color for most water, but for darker, more tannic water I prefer to go with the Root beer color.

I've caught trout, reds, snook, snapper, macks, cuda, jacks, you name it. I will say that if the pinfish on the grass flats get ahold of them, you will go through them quite quickly.

Even a 3" gulp just bounced on the bottom, or pitched back into the mangroves will yield snapper.

Tight Lines
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • LilTucciLilTucci Posts: 189 Officer
    I've personally had better luck with the Gulp shrimp catching more fish then the DOAs but the DOAs give you a better color choice, I say Gulp
    Check out my youtube channel, many more fishing videos to come
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Liltuccii/videos

Log your trips and help the SGF with accurate stock assessments, great site
    http://angleraction.org
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,585 Captain
    Magoo wrote: »
    Hello, I just wanted to find out what is the best artificial shrimp for mangrove snappers and sea trout. I usually fish with live shrimp on popping cork, split pea weight and 1/0 hook or knocker rig. What artificial Shrimp can I use instead of the live shrimp? Is there anything else you recommend?
    Thank you for your assistance.
    Magoo

Don't waste the money on artificial shrimp for mangroves. They'll eat almost any cut bait you throw at them.

Trout are visual feeders, so I'd recommend DOA shrimp over gulp since they last longer, though I do use both. I actually prefer gulp pogies over gulp shrimp for trout.
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    yak_angler wrote: »
    Don't waste the money on artificial shrimp for mangroves. They'll eat almost any cut bait you throw at them.

Ditto, chum bag and cut bait. Silversides, fresh dead shrimp or cut squid.

However, if he wanted to target snapper on artificial, gulp isn't a bad way to go :wink
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    I don't really target Mangrove's but I always seem to catch a couple when hitting docks & mangroves for Snook, so without a doubt, DOA 3 & 4" shrimp......and if it's really slow, I'll hit it with a bit of the Gulp Alive spray. :grin
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    I don't really target mangos but I've had trouble keeping them off the Gulp shrimp under a Cajun Thunder down in the keys targeting trout. They love em but they also hit other soft plastics under a cork when they're fired up. If you start getting too many snot sharks (sail cats), I'd go away from the Gulp baits. That stuff is almost like stinky cut bait.

Yak_Angler, it took me like 10 minutes to read your response. Thank YOU!
    Catch 'em up!

Nick