Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

pulled the trigger

bought a 2008 seapro sv2100 today. love the boat (16" draft is a little scary though). didn't get te 4 stroke Yamaha but ended up with a 150efi mercury. harvest will start soon up here and ill be too busy to make 800 mile boat looking trips so I pulled the trigger on this one. I like the boat more every time I look at it. I still need to decide on a gps but will stick with the hummingbird fish finder that came with it. I don't know how many boats I looked at but it feels good for it to be over with. the boat is royal blue so if yall see me wave. thanks for the help and if yall ever need anything while im there a shade tree mechanic farmer is handy to have around. will trade school of hardknocks learning for good fishing spots!! lol:cool:

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,243 Officer
    Congrats and good luck.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • muchocincomuchocinco Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    would you guys be scared of the 16" draft and does it make some places unfishable for me
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,243 Officer
    Yes. But if your fishing those places you probably would want a poling skiff. There are so many places to fish you probably will not care. Relax and enjoy.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Chaos210Chaos210 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    muchocinco wrote: »
    would you guys be scared of the 16" draft and does it make some places unfishable for me

I have a 21' Triumph with a 14" draft and I can nearly anywhere my buddy with a Proline Flatback can. You will be good enjoy your new vessel.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Your areas will be a little different but plenty of fish
    Hit the wrecks w/ live bait
    Enjoy
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    muchocinco wrote: »

Let me know when you come down and I'll show you some routes to move around in. We actually have a lot of water to work with in most areas here. If your fishing the western side of the area, you can actually run way into the back in a big boat as its truly of course all the islands and most have a flow channel around them. To the east and south is where it changes and its really more bights and and river mouths. These areas get shallow and require a little more work to get around, but its still very doable. As my friend chaos said, he can follow me in most areas at an idle, I can just get up and run in areas he has to find deeper water, but y'all are comfortable in the slop so its all a big trade off. Get in touch and we will get you squared away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    thanks guys. I plan on getting with yall when I come down to find a few shortcuts thru the island instead of running out indian key pass all the time. I also would like to try to get to a few of the rivers that are close like lopez etc. going as far as lostman is not a trip for the kids anyway I think. I would like to look at a map with some of yall and see if there are some spots that yall think I just need to avoid. i hope i don't have trouble but i bought the boat to fish so if it comes back to ky with a few extra bruises so be it! lol. thanks for all the help and yall should be proud that not only is the fishing world class but everglades city and chokoloskee could fit in up here with our small towns just right. i hope to be down soon!!
    btw, ive been looking at the new 50s garmin plotter and sonar but it will not accept vision cards(only blue chart g2 not vision g2) the 740s does accept the vision card but I don't really need the big screen and extra price. the older 541s was what I was looking at but guy at west marine said the new 50s would run circles around it. what do yall run and does anybody have the 50s or the 740s and is there a big difference in the bluechart vision g2 and the bluechart g2 cards. this post has gotten confusing :shrug lol thanks
    On my 24' boat I have 3 units. In the tower I have a Humminbird 998 combo sonar and plotter, and in the downstairs station I have a humminbird 898 combo sonar and plotter along with a gamin 740S combo sonar and plotter. I love my humminbirds for the side scan and sonar features, but in my opnion the plotter function leaves some to be desired. The 740s ( i have no sonar hooked up, but could if I needed it) serves as my stand alone plotter and does a fine job. I have no chip other than the standard maps it came with and these work just fine. We have few channels, passes and the such that all the fancy chips help with in other places, so really I see no need. I would suggest get the biggest unit you can as when you are running your boat out to find a wreck, and have to split the screen half and half for map sonar, it really helps. Even better if you have two seperate units to do the job, but thats not really necessary. Just my thoughts.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    btw garmin 740s is on sale at West Marine with 2 year replacement no questions asked for right around 800. The 741 has replaced it so they are getting them off the shelf.