Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

It makes getting out of the rack at 5am everyday easy

We received this great Thank You note from a GlobalFix iPRO owner. It sure feels good to play a part in a happy return.

Four of us were out of Cedar Key FL fishing at 10nm out on Saturday 8/24/2013. We were anchored off fishing and saw the electronics die and lost all power to start the engine. The engine would not start so we called for assistance from sea tow. We could not get hold of sea tow so contacted the coast guard at Yankee Town Fl and they contacted sea tow for us. While waiting on sea tow we saw a storm brewing so we let out 250ft of anchor line in 30ft depth and tied to the lower eye on the bow. We got prepared and pulled out life jackets and a dock line just in case and I'm glad we did because the storm overtook us with waves becoming approximately 8-12ft. We got out 1 mayday without coordinates due to the boat capsizing so fast and grabbed the EPIRB in the process of the boat overturning. The wind was blowing approximately 45-50knts sustained we all had our PFDs on at this point and tied together with the dock line. Drifting away from the boat I can't explain in words the fear and thoughts going through each one of our heads but we felt as secure as you could feel in these circumstances with the EPIRB telling us the signal was sent. We drifted into the night. Approximately 10pm we were assisted by a rescue swimmer dropped from the coast guard helicopter. He stayed with us until the sea tow boat came to us and helped us up onto the boat. When we got onto the sea tow boat that's when we realized that we had drifted approximately 6 miles from where the boat overturned in approximately 2.5 hrs. Coast guard rescue swimmer said they probably would not have found us that night if at all if it wasn't for the EPIRB signal. We returned to Cedar Key shaken up but everyone was ok without any injuries. Basically the price of the EPIRB is a small price to pay for your life that and the coast guard saved 4 of us. Words cannot explain our gratitude and appreciation toward the US Coast Guard, Sea Tow, and ACR Electronics for saving our lives. With many years experience on the ocean we never thought we would be in this situation but we were and I'm glad we spent the money for the EPIRB and were well prepared because if not we would probably not be writing this letter today. Thank you to ACR employees for manufacturing a beacon to save our lives. We cannot thank you enough.

Karson Keith

Stay Safe

Chris

Stay Safe

Chris

Entry Point Decorative Door Glass. Stuart FL (Family Business) 772-463-6500

Replies

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Definitely makes it worth getting up and going to work every day. Another fine example of being prepared for the worst situation possible and coming out alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Excellent! I am curious however why it took 2.5 hours for CG to get 10 miles offshore.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    brianb wrote: »
    Excellent! I am curious however why it took 2.5 hours for CG to get 10 miles offshore.

Ever been to CK? THere is no CG there(or never had beed). There is no helicopter near by. Heck they probably came from Tampa or Jax.
    I lost 2 motors 30 miles off CK and it was going to be an 8hr wait for the TOwBoatUS boat to get there. A nearby captain towed us in. We caught a dolphin trolling...

Great story Chris. Even with the sea estimate.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • ObsessionObsession Posts: 228 Deckhand
    BrianB,

Tater is close. The USCG Helo was launched from Air Station Clearwater.

There is a good lesson here. It's not how far out we are. It's how far we are from rescue assets. As mariners we need to be prepared to survive the environments we place ourselves in long enough to give the USCG a reasonable chance to get on scene and render assistance.

Stay safe

Chris

Stay Safe

Chris

• isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    I'm glad everything turned out for the best. Amazing story with an awesome ending :angel
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Chris,

What an amazing story. It sort of ran chills up my spine.

I am so happy I have the full sized ACR EPIRB onboard each and every trip and also hope to never use it.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, it's only 108F here in Dubai. :grin

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Great story, thanks for posting
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    Wow, glad they are safe. I need an epirb.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Great story Chris, thanks for sharing. In the overall expense of boating and fishing, an EPIRB should be the first purchase even before fishing tackle. I know my life and the lives of those fishing with me is worth more than a grand or two. I'm amazed at how many boats head offshore without that life saver. ACR is the only way to go!
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Wow, great story.... What size boat were you guys in?
    LastMango wrote: »
    Wow, great story.... What size boat were you guys in?

LastMango,

I work at ACR Electronics in Ft. lauderdale and was on the receiving end of this letter. Judging from the picture I saw their boat was a 23 to 25' center console with a single out board.

Stay safe

Chris

Stay Safe

Chris

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Ever been to CK? THere is no CG there(or never had beed). There is no helicopter near by. Heck they probably came from Tampa or Jax.
    I lost 2 motors 30 miles off CK and it was going to be an 8hr wait for the TOwBoatUS boat to get there. A nearby captain towed us in. We caught a dolphin trolling...

Great story Chris. Even with the sea estimate.
    There is a CG station in Yankeetown(has been for years) only 10 miles by water from CK. They have boats.

Tater, it could have been 8-12 as it get rougher off Seahorse than down south.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Great story and tight work. Thanks Chris for all you do for us here!
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    We never go offshore without the EPIRB on the boat. When my son first started kayak fishing with us we would put the EPIRB in his kayak. We taught him how to activate the EPIRB when he was very young. He and I frequently fished together offshore long before he was capable of driving the boat home in an emergency. If I ever have to go in the water I want a good life jacket and the EPIRB. For about $1000.00 you can be fairly confident help is coming in a timely manner. Glad to hear the story had a happy ending.

Fireman Bill
  • OK, sending my epirb off today for a battery CHANGE!
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Thanks Chris for all you do for us here!

X 100 :applause

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • SickleFinDreamsSickleFinDreams Posts: 221 Officer
    Wow definitely an eye opener. I need to purchase one!

Is anchoring a safe thing to do in a storm? Or would drifting make it much less likely to capsize?
  • zzzzzzsplashzzzzzzsplash Posts: 499 Deckhand
    Great story! Is kind of chilling to read. Just curious why guys are mentioning $1000, can't you get a starter EPIRB for around $400?
  • rwfishrwfish Posts: 240 Officer
    An epirb is without a doubt a good investment period. However there are some who just will not drop the money to get one, for you guys do yourself a favor and get a waterproof handheld vhf attached to your pfd at least. Let me tell a story of lives saved with the handheld...

It was a weekday off of Sebastian around 20 miles or so offshore, I was out alone as I couldn’t get anyone to go that day. At some point the weather started to turn, there were no boats to be seen and the radio was eerily silent. I started to get a lonely feeling and thought I would just call it a day. Decided I could use some radio chatter so I switched to channel 16. Just when I got to 16 I overheard a distress call, coast guard was having a difficult time hearing them. i could hear them loud and clear so I decided to relay for them. I asked them how many people onboard and what size/type vessel they were on. In an extremely urgent voice he told me there were 3 of them, 2 adults and a child, there was no boat- it had already sank and they were in the water talking from a handheld. I knew I had to be somewhat close due the perfect reception I had so I reported this to the CG along with my coordinates. I kept in contact with the survivors as I started circling the area to try and find them. By now it was a sloppy 3 to 5 which made it almost impossible to find anything. I decided to shoot a flare and see if they could see me. It worked! they saw my flare and after one or two more were able to direct me towards them. I was almost on top of them by the time I found them. I got them all three safely on my boat and the 4 of us returned to Sebastian. I do not think they would have made it without that handheld. I actually went out and bought one myself the next day, it is now attached to my pfd. You just never know...
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    rwfish wrote: »
    An epirb is without a doubt a good investment period. However there are some who just will not drop the money to get one, for you guys do yourself a favor and get a waterproof handheld vhf attached to your pfd at least. Let me tell a story of lives saved with the handheld...

It was a weekday off of Sebastian around 20 miles or so offshore, I was out alone as I couldn’t get anyone to go that day. At some point the weather started to turn, there were no boats to be seen and the radio was eerily silent. I started to get a lonely feeling and thought I would just call it a day. Decided I could use some radio chatter so I switched to channel 16. Just when I got to 16 I overheard a distress call, coast guard was having a difficult time hearing them. i could hear them loud and clear so I decided to relay for them. I asked them how many people onboard and what size/type vessel they were on. In an extremely urgent voice he told me there were 3 of them, 2 adults and a child, there was no boat- it had already sank and they were in the water talking from a handheld. I knew I had to be somewhat close due the perfect reception I had so I reported this to the CG along with my coordinates. I kept in contact with the survivors as I started circling the area to try and find them. By now it was a sloppy 3 to 5 which made it almost impossible to find anything. I decided to shoot a flare and see if they could see me. It worked! they saw my flare and after one or two more were able to direct me towards them. I was almost on top of them by the time I found them. I got them all three safely on my boat and the 4 of us returned to Sebastian. I do not think they would have made it without that handheld. I actually went out and bought one myself the next day, it is now attached to my pfd. You just never know...

This is truly an awesome story! Great thinking on your part to use a flare!!

I need to get a hand held vhf and an epirb!!
  • Ocean MotionOcean Motion Posts: 583 Officer
    Excellent info. You might also want to attach a strobe light to your PFD. As noted, in 4 to 5's, a head is a almost impossible thing to spot in rough water. Activate that strobe and you will stand out making it easier for rescue vessels to locate you, DAY or NIGHT.

One last suggestion would be to add a waterproof pen sized flashlight that has the ability to send out a flashing SOS. (WM fishing or camping dept). I had a EPIRB, waterproof VHF, Strobe and SOS flashlight. True, my PFD looked like a Batman belt but who cares, as long as it saves your life.

VERY thankful I never had to use any of them in an emergency situation. :hail
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    You want the EPIRB with the GPS capabilities. The cheaper ones do not pinpoint your location as well. A waterproof floating handheld VHF's is also a must have item. We bought them for kayak fishing awhile ago but they migrate to the boat for offshore trips as well. Add to my list of things I want if I ever have to go in the water is a water proof handheld and a piece of line to tie us all together so we are all coming home.. A good life jacket, the Epirb and a radio and I am confident we are coming home. I did a tour of duty at the Peanut Island CG station back in the late 70's. I spent a lot of time looking for people and boats offshore. You really increase your chances of being rescued if you invest in good safety equipment. During a routine go tow the disabled boat home mission (This was pre Sea Tow days) we were 30 miles east of St Lucie Inlet looking for a disabled boat on a glass calm summer morning when we came upon 2 people in the water clinging to a six gallon gas can and a throwable cushion. They had hit something during the night and their boat sank without being able to get off a mayday. We were not looking for them nor had they been reported overdue or missing. 30 miles off St Lucie you are outside of the range of most people looking for dolphin and this was way before people were venturing to the other side of the stream looking for tuna. Those people would probably have died if we had not stumbled across them. So the question is should I buy the new atomic stereo for the boat and / or another bent butt with the two speed 50 and 6 new wahoo lures or buy an epirb and a floating handheld?

Fireman Bill
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    ****... What an awesome thread.

Thanks Chris for getting it started and rwfish and fireman bill for the follow up stories.

Although I don't have a boat, my next purchase is going to be a comfortable pfd, handheld floating VHF with gps/strobe and epirb. Would the epirb res q link be comfortable enough to wear/sufficient in case it needs to be used?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
    zzzzzsplash

There are several models of EPRIBs on the market. For many years most of them were over $1K at Retail. Now you will find the feature rich models right around $1K and the entry level models with out GPS in the $400 to $500 Range.

Long,

The ResQLink PLB is designed to be carried on your persons. It is registered to you and not the vessel so you can carry it while your on OPB. (Other Peoples Boats). Unlike an EPRIB it may float but not in the upright transmitting position. It is water proof but it needs to be held out of the water like any other radio in order for the signal to hit the satellites. When selecting your life jacket look for one that will allow for mounting the PLB in the collar bone area.

Stay safe

Chris

Stay Safe

Chris

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Thanks for the advice again Chris.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Thanks for the advice again Chris.
    Great thread and makes us all stop and think.

In Sea School they taught us about flares, lift rafts and epirbs,
    (but I really like the waterproof hand held VHF, Epirb and Strobe!)

I have AN ACR PLB that is a couple years old, probably time to replace, and maybe carry original as back up
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    e-money,

There should be a sticker on your PLB that indicates when the battery is set to expire. At that point your beacon is ready for its five year service. The five year service includes testing the beacon, replacing the battery, inspection of the encasement and PC board, new gaskets and seals, water tight integrity test and a final test report. After this service you can carry your PLB for another five years. Of course if the PLB fails self test at any point return it for evaluation.

In the commercial world a monthly self test is required for EPIRBs. My advice to recreational users is to do the same if your on the water all the time. If you use the boat only a few times a year than test your beacons a week or so prior to a trip. This way there is time to get service if it is needed.

Stay safe

Chris

Stay Safe

Chris

• Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Chris, you've always been a tremendous asset to FS and all the forum members here. Thanks for taking the time to educate everyone on the ins and outs of EPIRBS. It makes me cringe knowing how many boats head offshore and over to the islands without them. Posts like these are a wake up call and really demonstrate the importance of being prepared when an unplanned emergency occurs. Thanks again for your continued contributions.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Thanks for posting this Chris.

This is a pretty good deal from BOE Marine this Friday. $567 plus an add'l $100 off

uploadfromtaptalk1379552729138.jpg

Sent from my Droid tablet