south gulf cove

anybody ever fish in there? is it a waste of time? water depth? any tips? new to the inshore thing.sold the big boat so this is new to me. any tips would be appreciated.
anything worth doing, is worth overdoing

Replies

• Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    We test our small fast boats in the lake back there and I have never seen anyone "catching"
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,146 Captain
    Water depth runs about 6-7 feet in most of the 'lagoon'. I've heard of people catching some ok fish there, but I've never actually fished it myself. I've been considering heading out there one night and looking around for dock lights to throw at...

I've REALLY been considering moving out there too. How do you like it?
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • kjack333kjack333 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone ended up fishing inn the South Gulf Cove area ? I just started fishing the area .
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,146 Captain
    I still haven't gone. I fished some of the saltwater lakes back there off of Robin and did ok... but still haven't fished South Gulf Cove. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend. :shrug
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    If you fish up near the lock you can catch snook, mangrove snapper. The farther you get from the lock you need to switch to bass fishing.
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    Real V wrote: »
    If you fish up near the lock you can catch snook, mangrove snapper. The farther you get from the lock you need to switch to bass fishing.
    Couldn't agree more. We fished it for a few years when the in-laws lived there. Snook, Reds, Jacks and a few small Tarpon. Troll along the mangroves. :wink
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    It's been about 15 years, but used to catch Snook and little tarpon in some of those lakes, even caught a red or two.
  • kjack333kjack333 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice . I have been fishing in the back on the Santa Cruz Waterway . We have been catching mostly redfish . We have also been catching trout , a few snook and tarpon . If I can ever get my motor put back together I am going to venture out more .