Purchasing used boat with low hours?

jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
I'm shopping for a used bay boat in the 22-24 foot range with 200-250hp. With the options and class of boat I'm looking at in my price range I'm being pushed into the 2003-2006 year range. I've seen a couple with only 100 +/- hours. These boats have obviously been sitting for 7 years or so. Are these outboards a disaster waiting to happen? Is there any more concern for a 4 or 2 stroke with these kind of hours?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    jimmy77 wrote: »
    I'm shopping for a used bay boat in the 22-24 foot range with 200-250hp. With the options and class of boat I'm looking at in my price range I'm being pushed into the 2003-2006 year range. I've seen a couple with only 100 +/- hours. These boats have obviously been sitting for 7 years or so. Are these outboards a disaster waiting to happen? Is there any more concern for a 4 or 2 stroke with these kind of hours?
    Scared to post here, but here goes.... knocking wood!!
    Bought a "new to me" 2007 Kenner with a 200 Optimax (also 2007)... 114hrs, immaculate motor inside and out, boat in near new condition. Filters and water pump will be your suspects... mine were checked by mechanic and perfect. Luckily for me when disaster struck me this summer the motor never went under.
    I've put 55hrs on her so far. You'd be surprised "how little" hours you actually put on your engine once you get an hour meter.

I run my outboards between 4000-4500 all day, with a long sprint back at WOT to let that 2-stroke breath!!
    I've learned that idling and trolling can wreak havoc on a 2 stroke which is made to run. I like my two strokes, and love my Optimaxes. :wink
  • Pioneer180Pioneer180 Posts: 124 Officer
    Pay for a survey including motor and your risk will be lowered. I think 100hrs is nothing. I see it like an used car with 10K-12K miles.
  • scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 269 Deckhand
    I am the 3rd owner of my 2008. It was not even registered to the original owner until November of 2010.
    I picked it up with less than 350 hours, but it is still under Yamaha factory 3 year warranty until Nov. 2013.

Don't know if that could possibly be the case with any of the ones you're looking at? 'Left-over model years' ???

I may end up having to sell mine (22' Scout bay F150) PM me if you want info.
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    A friend of mine just bought a 2006 proline 25 sport with a verado 250 on it with 188 hours and is almost ready to set the boat on fire. He's had several issues with it and in 5 months has only managed to fish from it twice with no issues. Last week the supercharger went out on it. It's supposed to be a $3000-4000 repair to change that one.

Be careful...
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Some boat owners just don't use their boats...
    & some motors are such a PoS that they give up trying to use them...
    Mixed bag, so as above 'Be careful' & do your homework...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    csanders wrote: »
    A friend of mine just bought a 2006 proline 25 sport with a verado 250 on it with 188 hours and is almost ready to set the boat on fire. He's had several issues with it and in 5 months has only managed to fish from it twice with no issues. Last week the supercharger went out on it. It's supposed to be a $3000-4000 repair to change that one.

Be careful...
    Was told Verado's are great while under warranty. Same with Yamaha HPDI's.
    Factor in cost to pay out of pocket for repairs and parts, and those compressors and fuel injector rails will eat you alive.
    Verado's are also fuel efficient at idle... LOL
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Thanks for all the replies and good info. Keep it coming. I do plan on having a survey done on any boat I purchase or at the least have a certified mechanic go over the motor.

Rick I sent you a PM with the correct email. Looking forward to seeing what you have...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Officer
    I bought my century 2202 with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke. It had 200 hours when I bought it 1/15/13. I paid my mechanic I go up to the consignment lot and run the motor through the ringer. He found that the trim position indicator switch was stuck and a few minor codes he said were no big deal at all. I now have just shy of 600 hours on it.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer
    Recently, I purchased a 2002 Hells Bay Waterman 18' from an older gentleman that said he doubted the boat had 200 hours total on the Mercury 4 stroke.. He said he ran it once a month on the flush ears for 30 minutes if he didn't use the boat. In addition, he would pump the gas out of the tank into his car every 3 months (This guy was meticulous) to keep fresh fuel in the tank.

Anyhow, I was surprised when my Mercury mechanic hooked up the ECM to his computer and told me the outboard only had 116 hours total! I've used the boat about 20 hours since and the Mercury purrs like a cat.

I have no problem if an older used boat has low hours as long as the previous owner took ran the outboard on a regular basis..

20130602_180120_zpsd48ed196.jpg
  • fishonfishon Posts: 961 Officer
    Nice ride Bob!
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,957 Captain
    I used my bay boat quite a bit and recently sold it after owning for six years with roughly 220 hours. In my case I often fished close to the ramp and used the trolling motor a lot. Not much riding around on the boat.