trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 248 Deckhand
Does salt away remove wax or sealant?
*Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
*Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
*Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
*Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90

Replies

• Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    No. I use it on every thing. Rods. engine flush. boat / trailer.....
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    No X2.
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 520 Officer
    No, it will not affect wax, polish or sealants.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 248 Deckhand
    thank you guys.
    By the way, I just " waxed" my nonskid of my 2000 egret 18 ( it has a sort of sand textured non skid) with star brite marine polish with ptef, and it came out great. Everything beads right up and it's not slippery at all - wish I would have known about this earlier.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    I spray my waxed/rejex nod skid with salt away on every trip. You should rinse the salt away with fresh water after use.Its made with a very mild acid. Woody wax was yellowing my last boats deck and never lasted.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,380 Officer
    thank you guys.
    By the way, I just " waxed" my nonskid of my 2000 egret 18 ( it has a sort of sand textured non skid) with star brite marine polish with ptef, and it came out great. Everything beads right up and it's not slippery at all - wish I would have known about this earlier.

Are you talking abut Starbrite deck cleaner or another Starbrite product.
    He is referring to the Premium Marine Polish with PTEF, not the NonSkid. I can't say I've seen this done, but if it works for him, there you go.
    Apply it with a soft brush. You will use way more wax than doing a flat surface. Buff off with a terry cloth.
    Doing the non Skid was the best thing I've done to aid clean up. I was concerned I would be slippery - but it's not. I could imagine some non skid patterns being more or less slippery.
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    thank you guys.

I have the sand finish on my deck and I have been wondering if this would work out without making it too slick. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, thanks.
    Guys, be VERY Careful using our PTEF Polish on any deck surfaces. Yes, it will repel stains, grime, blood, etc - BUT it could make it way too slippery to walk on - it's not designed for this type application. It could be that the slight texturing keeps it from being too slick, but DO NOT apply it to a smooth deck surface! Use the Nonskid Deck cleaner for that application.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,166 Admiral
    Guys, be VERY Careful using our PTEF Polish on any deck surfaces. but DO NOT apply it to a smooth deck surface! Use the Nonskid Deck cleaner for that application.

Now I'm confused! :huh
    I would definitely agree to not applying it to smooth surface that you walk on. I guess it's the sand texture that your foot steps on that keeps it from not being slippery. I think the little surface tips cannot hold enough polish to appear slippery, but since the polish is on the majority of the ( which is flat- below the sand) it remains easy to clean.
    Test a small section first. Apply the wax then wet it and try to slide on it.If you slide around then remove it with some acetone. I have used wax on every boat I have had with non skid with good results. I have had the best results with Rejex.(never tried the Starbright brand).Trponhunter turned me on to Rejex. lol. There are some cases I wouldn't want to wax a boat deck. Those cases don't need wax any way. The deck would be smooth. Common sense goes a long way.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,166 Admiral
    This is the way I see it... 3M Finessit II (clean clean) then Rejex X2 (smooth surfaces) and the non skid StarBrite for the rough areas. Woody's deck cleaner yellows right? Just what sayin.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,380 Officer
    [email protected]!#$$ I just waxed a 2 X 2 foot area of my front non-skid deck. Used Starbrite with PTEF. I sat down on the deck and scooted from the un-waxed side to the waxed side. Wow!!, it's so skick it's scary. It really looks good, I mean, it looks brand new. Dramatic difference between the waxed side and the un-waxed side, but it's just too slick. Gonna remove it with acetone and go back to Starbrite Deck Cleaner.