ALIGATORS ON SANIBELS BEACHES !! TOO MUCH FRESH WATER !!

Yup, you heard it here first folks. Actually, if you were watching WINK news recently, you probably heard it there first but...the story is...the water around Sanibel is so fresh, they're finding aligators swimming along the beaches !!
NOW try to tell me the Lake O. water release isn't affecting the water salinity !!

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Hmmm. We had them on the reef holding bottom with pure clear saltwater. Gators do just fine in saltwater.
    60' deep
    http://vimeo.com/m/13665376
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • kymasabekymasabe Posts: 111 Officer
    I thought Crocs have glands that help expel salt from their bodies, but gators don't have those glands. I could see a gator entering salt water for a short time, or brackish water, but they can't live in salt water for long, have to retreat back to fresh water to flush the salt out of them.
    Watched that video, that's definately a gator. I'd be *****tin' myself if I was diving and found THAT sitting on the bottom.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I guess it would depend on if they are there long enough to need to drink or whatever salt intake they have. I dunno but I can tell you they don't need to be in fresh water to live.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    kymasabe wrote: »
    Yup, you heard it here first folks. Actually, if you were watching WINK news recently, you probably heard it there first but...the story is...the water around Sanibel is so fresh, they're finding aligators swimming along the beaches !!
    NOW try to tell me the Lake O. water release isn't affecting the water salinity !!

They didn't find "alligators" swimming along the beaches. They saw ONE alligator at Sanibel. Who said that all the fresh water doesn't have an impact on salinity? Of course fresh water has an impact on salinity. A gator pops up every once in awhile in sW Florida anyways. Even before they opened the locks you can head up the Caloos a couple miles and you are guaranteed to see them. There was one over in Estero Bay a couple weeks ago. No big deal
  • DemonDemon Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Gators are in the saltwater all the time around St Marks. I've seen them out on the flats several times. Not unusual at all.
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Have seen a few up mullock creek before.
  • ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 298 Deckhand
    A few years back a guy landed an 8'+ bull shark off the Gandy bridge in Tampa. Cut it open and found the remains of like a 6' gator.
  • kymasabekymasabe Posts: 111 Officer
    My bad. I thought it was something new. I've been in Cape Coral for only ten years and fishing around the barrier islands here, never heard of a gator in salt water before. Well, maybe in brackish. but never on the beach. But, if you guys say it's normal, then it's normal. I'm gonna think twice about swimming at the beach again though.
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    [QUOTE=kymasabe But, if you guys say it's normal, then it's normal. I'm gonna think twice about swimming at the beach again though.[/QUOTE]

I would not say Normal , rare appearance most likely . I have lived in South and SW Florida 50 years and I have seen one in the Gulf about 25years ago .
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,610 Moderator
    :Agree ,6 or 7 years ago I was on my boat at Waters Edge Marina and a small gator swam behind my boat turned around and swam out. First one in over 30 yrs.
    larrywitt
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Was snook fishing off Bonita bch about a month ago during a particularly rainy week and saw one swimming right along the shorebreak. I've seen a few over the years down toward Chokoloskee, but never up this way.
  • Salty LeaderSalty Leader Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    About 12 years ago I was wade fishing on the front side of restroom island with my kids. I was fishing for a bit and looking at a mostly submerged railroad tie. I was thinking what a strange place for that to be. Then I looked over and it was gone! I walked over to the kids and told them to come on in. Once we were out of the water I told them what was going on!
  • DoFloridaRightDoFloridaRight Posts: 149 Officer
    2 things:
    1.) Yes, gators can survive in saltwater, but only for a few days at most (http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/reptilesamphibians/facts/factsheets/americanalligator.cfm). That's pretty amazing about that gator you saw in saltwater at 60ft, but he either was on his way back to the swamp or didn't very long after that. Don't fear the beach on account of the occasional gator, I'd worry more about sharks (and even then, not really).

2.) Yes, there is too much fresh water. What do ya'll make of Rick Scott's US 41 $90 million bridge?
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Yes gators can live in saltwater. When I lived in central Florida we used to see gators from port canaveral north on the flats many times. Actually had one almost grab a hold of a buddy's leg that was dangling off the nose of the boat as we were drift fishing about 25 years ago.
  • fishonfishon Posts: 953 Officer
    Many gators off Sanibel in the 70's, wade fishing Bohmans beach and at the rocks. No big thing
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    2 things:
    1.) Yes, gators can survive in saltwater, but only for a few days at most
    :grin You don't fish Chokoloskee , do you?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • RobARobA Posts: 55 Deckhand
    :grin You don't fish Chokoloskee , do you?

Isn't that the truth . It's a habitat thing more than a saltwater thing. The Gulf of Mexico could be a freshwater lake and I don't think you would see gators taking over the beach on sanibel. They do fine in pretty salty water.
  • Captain_AhabCaptain_Ahab Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I took this pic at the Sandbar in Stump Pass (Englewood area) a couple weekends ago.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 344 Deckhand
    I took this pic at the Sandbar in Stump Pass (Englewood area) a couple weekends ago.

That scares me. I have little kids that love to play on the sandbars. That looks dangerous now.
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    We killed one almost 12 foot with a lot of tail missing and over 550 pounds out of mullock creek
  • BeastieBeastie Bokeelia, FLPosts: 864 Officer
    I see the same on on the inside of Cayo Costa every now and then.
    He is not skeered of people on boats.
  • Captain_AhabCaptain_Ahab Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Great link, thanks Ahab.

No prob!