E-TEC 130

leadheadleadhead Posts: 90 Greenhorn
Does anybody have one of these and if so can you tell me about it. likes or dislikes, opinions?

Replies

• capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Officer
    Why not a 150?
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Nate wrote: »
    Why not a 150?

Because on some boats the added weight can cause porpoise and the need for excessive tab use....if you are picking up what I'm putting down.
  • T-shirt BobT-shirt Bob Posts: 160 Officer
    I have one - no complaints so far. Pushes my boat along nicely - I run pretty much WOT all the time so I don't see much of a mileage difference from my old carbed Yammies but if you cruised around it probably gets great mileage. It is noticeably quieter for sure. I was a little concerned about switching brands at first but after a couple of years I would buy another one without question.
  • leadheadleadhead Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    i appreciate that t-shirt. I am a big fan of yamaha but thinking about the 130 etec. i have a 100 yamaha 4 stroke now but am looking for a little lighter weight plus more hp.

So you have had yours a cpl years now with no problem?
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Officer
    Because on some boats the added weight can cause porpoise and the need for excessive tab use....if you are picking up what I'm putting down.

The 130 is 390# and the 150 is 418#. I'd go with the 150 and put the tackle in the front locker instead of the rear ones.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    I have one - no complaints so far. Pushes my boat along nicely - I run pretty much WOT all the time so I don't see much of a mileage difference from my old carbed Yammies but if you cruised around it probably gets great mileage. It is noticeably quieter for sure. I was a little concerned about switching brands at first but after a couple of years I would buy another one without question.

I have the same set up as Bob, our max HP is 140 so the 150 is out. No problems at all after 2 years. It just goes.
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    leadhead wrote: »
    Does anybody have one of these and if so can you tell me about it. likes or dislikes, opinions?
    I've got twins on my Grady. Only issues I've experienced were starter issues and mid section issues.

On the starters, sometimes they wouldn't always engage the flywheel. You could hear them pop up and spin, but motor wouldn't turn over. At first I thought it was battery related. Bought new batteries and it still did the same thing. Called the dealer, took it in and he replaced both starters (it was a new design they were using) with the older type of starter. He did a once over on the motors and noticed the mid section exhaust flap weren't opening as they should. Corrosion. Again, it was a new design they had started using but stopped. Dealer replaced both, no questions asked. No charge on either other my time and gas to get the boat there and back. The dealer told me they had used those parts on 1,000 motors and then stopped and was replacing.

Motors run well, get good gas mileage and are quiet.

I will tell you that just as important is the motor is the dealer. A good dealer will make all the difference in the world.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,145 Admiral
    Mango Man wrote: »

I will tell you that just as important is the motor is the dealer. A good dealer will make all the difference in the world.

:thumbsup:Agree
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Nate wrote: »
    The 130 is 390# and the 150 is 418#. I'd go with the 150 and put the tackle in the front locker instead of the rear ones.

You could, but you would need more weight than just the difference between the two motors since the motor is completely aft of the CoG and the front hatch is not completely to the other side. OR you could get a balanced boat where it does not matter where you stow your gear and still have no porpoise. Personal preference I guess.