" Late Season Scallops" Homosassa 8/30/2011

I 've always considered this to be the late season, but there still is 25 days to go!! Well, we headed out and hit an area that we have been going to , and it didn't dissappoint. I never left a spot next to the boat, and had my limit quick. Same for Mrs. Ruff One, it wasn't long and she was holding up a full bag. We were on some tall grass and they were laying down in the grass. It helped alot being on the low tide. You could look right down in the grass, making it ideal for spotting them. They are still there--amazing!! We keep saying we are thru, but they keep calling us back. Weather was sort of rough, thunderstorms popping up, wind blowing briskly. Was maybe considering a cobia trip tomorow, but this weather is looking like maybe not.
Cooler shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Nice going. We are heading up Friday for our last trip of the year. Hopefully they are shallow for the kids...
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    And I passed on going out today for shark due to the weather. Guess that shows me.

Looks like another nice haul of scallops in the Big Bend. Way to go.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,452 Officer
    Great mess of scallops. It's been a great year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    looks like a nice haul. :thumbsup
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    It was nasty out there Tom...Lee and i ran out to 26 ft and i got a small cobe on the first drop then the sparks started flying and we ran in tight. The scallops are still around for sure.
    Way to get them on less than favorable conditions.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,525 Captain
    Get em while you can....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • gbaswolfgbaswolf Posts: 268 Officer
    Great to hear that the scallops are still plentyful. I've never had the chance to harvest or even eat them, and am looking to give it a try in 16 days. Can't wait. Just trying to get the wife to clean'em. She has this rule, "you catch'em you clean'em you cook'em but she'll help eat'em.:) Any ideals on getting her to clean'em? I don't get it I spend my vacation trying to get some food for the table and she thinks it's all fun and games out there.:shrug Thanks for the post
    Tight lines!:fishing
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,843 Captain
    I make my wife do it all!! Hope she does't read this. "WE" use a shop vac, and it goes fast and easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    congrats on a nice haul of scallops!
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    How deep are they now? I searched in 6' and in sunday and couldn't find any clear water not to mention any bivalves.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Nice one Ruff!
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Way to counter those high grocery prices RO :Rockon Nice haul :applause
  • 23fabe2323fabe23 Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Lots of work for a good meal!
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Good job Tom. Have you been shooting that bow? It's hard to get on the water when there's deer to be scouted ....... I've got a couple shooter bucks (legal bucks) on camera and plenty of porkers....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 851 Officer
    nice job on the scallops, last weekend was the first weekend we missed, real high tides and wind....... this weekend is going to be perfect low tides
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    The wind was 20+ from the west. Here's some pics from the boat ramp.

2011-08-27_14-56-17_865.jpg

2011-08-27_14-56-09_717.jpg

2011-08-27_14-56-28_500.jpg

First time I ever seen the docks under water.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,508 Moderator
    Great! was wondering if they were still around. I was seeing a lot of empty shells in Steinhatchee mixed in with the live ones a few weeks ago. Thought they may be starting to expire.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,224 Officer
    Thanks for the report. I hope to go out this weekend.:Rockon
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    good job you guys, but save some for us Tom!