Home General Fishing

You Gotta Love This!

Native2Native2 Posts: 50 Deckhand
So I'm trolling along the mangroves in my favorite spot when these 2 guys come motoring up about 50 yards ahead of me, cutting off my path and start trolling the same shoreline and fishing it.

My first thought was that there was no use fishing behind them, well actually my first thought was something much more sinister, but I decided to just keep fishing behind them and hope I catch something that they missed.

They reached the end of the shoreline without catching anything, trolled out a little ways and was just taking a break and watching me and my family fish. While they were watching, I pulled a 26 inch redfish out of the same spot they just fished about 20 minutes prior. Then about 10 minutes later, I pulled a 26 1/2 redfish out about 20 yards past that spot. I was using the same exact bait they were using, greenbacks.

There is a God.

Cost for fuel - $35
Lunch and drinks - $20
Teaching inconsiderate fishermen a lesson - Priceless!!!!:grin

Replies

• former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    lol..... Sucks these days.... You go fishing to "de-stress". Not so much sometimes.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Happened to me twice last weekend... drifting the pass had people go in front of me twice... one guy even anchored up right in the way so I had to go around. We just caught some snapper and a flounder though. Didn't pay much attention to what they were doing.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,413 Admiral
    Native2 wrote: »
    So I'm trolling along the mangroves in my favorite spot when these 2 guys come motoring up about 50 yards ahead of me, cutting off my path and start trolling the same shoreline and fishing it.

My first thought was that there was no use fishing behind them, well actually my first thought was something much more sinister, but I decided to just keep fishing behind them and hope I catch something that they missed.

They reached the end of the shoreline without catching anything, trolled out a little ways and was just taking a break and watching me and my family fish. While they were watching, I pulled a 26 inch redfish out of the same spot they just fished about 20 minutes prior. Then about 10 minutes later, I pulled a 26 1/2 redfish out about 20 yards past that spot. I was using the same exact bait they were using, greenbacks.

There is a God.

Cost for fuel - $35
    Lunch and drinks - $20

probably not smart enough to put the karma thing together.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    ...And you didn't say anything to them. You are a prince and worthy of catching in the water they stole from you.:hail
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I doubt they learned a lesson but nice work anyway.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Native2 wrote: »

There is a God.

Cost for fuel - $35
    Lunch and drinks - $20

Your classy behavior instantly rewarded- Priceless.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    When I am fishing for fun I tend to keep my cool in situations like that,, if I am in a tourney and someone does that to me they are apt to get their ear pierced with a well placed cast.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • tenacioustenacious Posts: 124 Deckhand
    some people are idiots when they get on the water. i used to get it a lot while anchored up over structure. some of the structure was very small and tricky to get anchored on correctly. i would set up close to slack tide and be in the right position when the tide started running. guys would pull up while the tide was ripping, start dragging their undersized anchors aimlessly all over the structure, running their motors back and forth resetting their anchor, and shutting down the bite in the process.
    i would in a friendly voice say, "hey, i dock at money island you should just hop on with me tomorrow that way we can still fish together but save fuel". that one only had about a 50% success rate. the fail safe method was to put a michael jackson cd on and play it as loud as my stereo would go. the bite was already dead because they motored over the fish 12 times.. this one worked 99% of the time, nobody hung out past the 2nd or 3rd song, lol.
    way to go taking them to school!
  • Native2Native2 Posts: 50 Deckhand
    It wasn't worth losing my cool, especially since my kids were with me. Karma won out that day, although many times it doesn't. I made sure to lift the fish really high before putting them in the cooler.