Home General Fishing

Shimano Teramar, not that great.

2»

Replies

• rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    Carlo wrote: »

I think some people make a little too much out of warranties, anyway. You keep your receipt and if it breaks fairly quickly you bring it back and get a new one. Some guys have a rod for five years, throw it in the back of the truck every other day, and then feel indignant when they aren't handed a new one after they wander into a local tackle shop with a sense of entitlement.
    they are not looking for warranty, they are looking for guarantee.
    lifetime warranty- lifetime of what, the rod or you?
    when a rod is used the first dozen of times and it doesnt break, it has no manufacturer defect and when it breaks 3 years from the first dozen of use, you should have no right to a claim. a defective rod/blank breaks during its first couple of use not 6 months to infinity.
    st. croix is one of the best USA made blank manufacturer, enjoy them, there's not much of them left (made in usa blanks).

i cant understand how people would complain about the guides rusting, all metals rust, that's a fact and is proven by science.
    you should do your part in taking care of your rod, everytime you came from fishing, hose it, get a toothbrush with soapy water and brush the guides and metals. put on wax on your rod, especially on the cracks, put in car wax or pledge. do this deligently and your guides will last 3-5 years. NO gudie is going to last your lifetime, except if you have titaniums.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    rysher wrote: »
    they are not looking for warranty, they are looking for guarantee.
    lifetime warranty- lifetime of what, the rod or you?
    when a rod is used the first dozen of times and it doesnt break, it has no manufacturer defect and when it breaks 3 years from the first dozen of use, you should have no right to a claim. a defective rod/blank breaks during its first couple of use not 6 months to infinity.
    st. croix is one of the best USA made blank manufacturer, enjoy them, there's not much of them left (made in usa blanks).

i cant understand how people would complain about the guides rusting, all metals rust, that's a fact and is proven by science.
    you should do your part in taking care of your rod, everytime you came from fishing, hose it, get a toothbrush with soapy water and brush the guides and metals. put on wax on your rod, especially on the cracks, put in car wax or pledge. do this deligently and your guides will last 3-5 years. NO gudie is going to last your lifetime, except if you have titaniums.

Truth. I've had multiple rods of mine break, and none happened during normal use. Once my buddy closed a Shimano Crucial in a car door. Once my father, casting a 15-30lb teramar, slammed the rod into a Tidemaster sitting in a rod holder. The Teramar shattered. Once I fished with a guy who broke a rod of mine by highsticking a snook at the boat. This rod was NOT a shimano/star and didn't have an over the counter lifetime warranty and cost me $50+ to replace. The fact is, sometimes ***** happens and people break things. If you own a Shimano or Star, very rarely does this result in any additional stress.

Oh and pro tip: become a member at whatever tackle shop you're shopping at. 9/10 times they store all your purchase history and it's as good/better than a receipt.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    fishboy wrote: »
    Nah, I bought my stellar lite and Teramar on the exact same day last summer, and use them often, but the guids on the stellar lite are immaculate, while the Teramar have rust on them...

fair enough.
    ive been told this by many people. that the silver guides usually hold up better, but there you go.
    i have to say, on my falcon rod, i see a bit of rust showing on the guides, but on all my other rods with black guides, i notice nothing.
    maybe the salt has to get passed the paint first.
  • FLOGROWN_ANGLERFLOGROWN_ANGLER Posts: 143 Officer
    I got the 7'6 matched with a spheros 3000 with 10lb braid.I love the rod,it casts accurate and distant weither fishing love bait or lures.Guides look flawless and I overhear if the guides rust shimano will take care of that.
    Buff It Out Boat Detailing!
    RV's, Travel Trailers, Jet Ski's and Enclosed trailers too!
    904-887-4755 / FREE estimates / MOBILE
    Forum members get 10% off when this add is mentioned!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,961 Captain
    JF1sh wrote: »
    If any company offers a lifetime warranty, it's gotta be pretty good. Plus you can't beat Bass Pro's no questions asked replacement program

That or it costs them near nothing to make:Bike
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Tidemaster TIS76MHF... Can't remember when I got it but its been over 5yrs easy... and I will
    say this> it's hardly if ever use during the day.. its get wash and lube down just like my reels after
    every outing and I keep all my rods/reels inside.. The reason I say that... Is because I have seen how
    some people treat their gear :banghead

I also put a dap of Super Glue on every eye when I first get a rod and spray a silicon base lube on them..
    I know that sounds like going over the top... but I have a couple of rods from the early 80s :hairraiser
    that still look pretty good and maybe have change out a eye or two...

and I fish the Rocks 90% of the times... So to be honest most of my better stuff stays home when I rock
    fishing... Uglystiks have proven to drag in any of our inshore fish and if one snaps or loses a eye... Its
    easy to run down and grab other one for less then $60 :wink

Lets also get real> anything ManMade will put out lemons from time to time... and there isn't a person I know
    who has some type of horrible story about certain brands that most of us would keep buying no matter what
    others have said about it...
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    x2 on the superglue guides, and "lube" after use.

i spray my guides and rods with wd 40 after every few trips, depending on how much use they saw on the trip.
    then give them a good wipe down, same with reels.
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    All of you who swear by St. Croix- what model(s) do you own?

As stated before, the Avid that I paid $200 for sucked.
    The Triumph I got my son for a little over $100 snapped.

Just curious which models you have that you love. I'd take a Teramar over Triumph any day. And 2x Teramar over an Avid.

Just about any inshore rod that's highsticked is going to snap at the end, except probably your glass ugly stiks. Just sayin'... This has been the case for every St Croix rod I've ever snapped (except the legend tournament of mine that the end broke off just picking it up out of my trailer without it getting caught on anything :shrug).

I consider the St Croix mojo bass probably one of the best inshore rods for around $100. I've got the mojo bass, premier, avid and legend tournament. Out of these I like the legend tournament the least. Although I mainly use my GLoomis GL3 and IMX rods for inshore fishing, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the mojo, premier, or avid. I mostly have the ML's.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    My triumph (6'6 medium power fast taper) held up to some heavy running fish...maybe a defect rod? Probably gonna buy another one soon
    Let's go fishing!
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    Star Rod's warranty is a total joke. I have called and left three messages about a warranty repair with the fine folks there. They still haven't called me back and it has been months.

If you are getting a Star rod for the warranty, good luck with all that. They will be getting ZERO more dollars from me.....

Shimano on the other hand just replaced a Teramar I broke(it was my fault) no questions asked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    Star changed owners
    what are they moon rods now?
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    GatoRella wrote: »
    Star Rod's warranty is a total joke. I have called and left three messages about a warranty repair with the fine folks there. They still haven't called me back and it has been months.

If you are getting a Star rod for the warranty, good luck with all that. They will be getting ZERO more dollars from me.....

Shimano on the other hand just replaced a Teramar I broke(it was my fault) no questions asked.
    I broke my Seagis a month or so back. I had my receipt, walked into the place I bought it, and walked out with a new one. And this time I got a full cork grip, which is stellar...
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Speaking of teramars i found them at west marine for sale at 30% off. Which is a great deal the inshore ones are 109.99 here which on sale puts them at $77. A steal at that price
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain
    I broke my Seagis a month or so back. I had my receipt, walked into the place I bought it, and walked out with a new one. And this time I got a full cork grip, which is stellar...

I work for a retailer of star rods, and unless that was a very recent purchase that just isn't the way warranty claims are typically handled with those rods. Star is the one manufacturer that I'm aware of that really take their warranty against defects in manufacturing seriously. So be prepared, if you do something silly with your star rod and end up breaking it, there's the very real possibility that they're going to deny your claim.
    A fish broke it. Is that considered silly?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain
    A fish broke it. Is that considered silly?

Depends. A clean break is usually a defect, or if it's at the base of the taper (about 18" down from the tip usually), it usually indicates some kind of high sticking mishap. If it flattens out like a drinking straw, you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that it was a defect.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    My Star rod broke when my GF decided to see if it would fit thru a door and close the rod on it...
    Does that count> LOL... before then it took plenty of beatings and never once let me down..
    **** GF!!!! LOL
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    Depends. A clean break is usually a defect, or if it's at the base of the taper (about 18" down from the tip usually), it usually indicates some kind of high sticking mishap. If it flattens out like a drinking straw, you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that it was a defect.

If it's legit, it's legit. If you're trying to pull a fast one, you should have the foresight to make the rod "look" like it happened during the normal course of fishing. If you walk into a shop with a pole that has obviously been run over it shouldn't suprise you if your claim is denied.

Sometimes people simply don't think about things. Certainly warranties aren't totally open-ended, no-questions asked, exchange programs which extend into the infinite future.

Think about it. Have a plan. You walk in with a smile. Have a story about the biggest snook or tarpon you've ever seen, let alone had on your line. Then you say something like, "Man, I'm not even that upset about the rod. I'm just sick I lost that fish. I swear to god, I've gone to bed thinking about it all week."

...and here's your new rod, sir.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    It's incredible how many of these issues go away with a smile and taking the time to learn people's names.