Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

8/31 SLI: Attack of the Tongue-Eating Isopods

Today was one of those rare days when you can make it out the inlet in a 13' whaler. Going out, we had the outgoing tide, so It got a bit hairy, but by going around and out from the detached jetty, we made it out with no problems. All of the river water was going south, and even behind the detached jetty there was blue water, just not to each side of it. As soon as you got north of the inlet, the visibility increased to around 40' or so. Tried a few of the patch reefs just north of the inlet, and got nothing but small porkfish and margates. Heading farther north and into deeper water, we finally come up on a small rockpile in the third reefline. Nothing could slow the bite down, as we had ended up in a big school of lanes. Had we kept all of the 8.5" an 9"s, we would have probably limited out, but we started keeping only decent ones. It was hard to get a bait past them, so we only ended up with a few other species. We got two large grass porgies, a few spots, two short mangroves, and a short mutton that unhooked itself boatside. I also caught a few blue runners, one of which had this isopod in its mouth, no doubt due to the Lake O releases :wink
003_zps2fbe4da5.jpg
001_zps0150150d.jpg
008_zps85da6dda.jpg
At one point, I saw a small pod of tarpon roll. They were decent size too, 5 or 6 foot fish, and were heading north along the first reefline. As we were getting ready to leave, an LEO stopped by and we had a nice chat. He said he was surprised there were so few people out today, and just asked us how we were doing and if we were getting anything. On the way back in, watched the same guy stop a ~20ft pontoon that had at least a dozen people on it. All in all, we only used one tank, which wasn't even full at the beginning, making gas costs come out to around $15 :devil

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Good eats. That thing is nasty lookin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Nice haul...

Sent from my Droid tablet
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Thanks all.
    Fishing with 6 lb is fun, but it is too easy to get rocked up. That being said, I only got rocked up once, and that ended up being a 6in long margate.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Is there a way to tell the difference between a freshwater and a saltwater isopod?

I tried to goggle it but couldn't come up with it.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Those things creep me out I've seen them in ballyhoo and sandperch before
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,195 Officer
    Has anyone seen the horror movie "The Bay" yet? hahaha

"The Bay follows what happens to a little boating town once its water is polluted by a large quantities of poultry poop from nearby chicken ranches. The dumping of waste changes the ecosystem dramatically, and on the Fourth of July the whole town goes bats**t crazy when a new pack of mutant isopods begin consuming residents."
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
  • VindawgVindawg Posts: 801 Officer
    Nasty looking sucker...:machinegun
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Is there a way to tell the difference between a freshwater and a saltwater isopod?

I tried to goggle it but couldn't come up with it.

Cheers

There are thousands of Isopod Species, everything from those little roly-poly/pillbugs most people grew up with to 3 ft deep sea giants.
    I can't think of a parasitic freshwater Isopod off the top of my head, but there is probably one somewhere in the world. That being said, most are free swimming and very small, especially those living in freshwater. With all isopods, identification by species requires collection and microscopic observation.
    Uncle Buck wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the horror movie "The Bay" yet? hahaha

"The Bay follows what happens to a little boating town once its water is polluted by a large quantities of poultry poop from nearby chicken ranches. The dumping of waste changes the ecosystem dramatically, and on the Fourth of July the whole town goes bats**t crazy when a new pack of mutant isopods begin consuming residents."

I may have to watch that, it is amazing what producers will think of these days. And according to the wikipedia page for the movie, they are the same genus as this one.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    There are thousands of Isopod Species, everything from those little roly-poly/pillbugs most people grew up with to 3 ft deep sea giants.
    I can't think of a parasitic freshwater Isopod off the top of my head, but there is probably one somewhere in the world. That being said, most are free swimming and very small, especially those living in freshwater. With all isopods, identification by species requires collection and microscopic observation.

I may have to watch that, it is amazing what producers will think of these days. And according to the wikipedia page for the movie, they are the same genus as this one.

Thanks for the info!! :thumbsup

Eric
    PLANE FISH N