If a 90hp gets me 40mph, what will a 150 do?

kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,871 Captain
On my 17' action craft a 90 gets me about 40 mph. Any guesses what a 150 will do? I'm guessing about 52-55 but would like your opinions.

Thanks.

-mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Is the 17' action craft rated for a 150? You might get 50 mph with a 115.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,871 Captain
    Yes.... Rates up to 150.

225 would be pretty cool though. :)
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    You really want to stick with max hp ratings. I think the 1710 is 90 and the 1720 is 135? Go on their website or call them. The ratings come from alot of things and if you still have a USCG sticker, it will give you the max. Alot of things can effect your overall speed from what I'm told including loaded weight, i.e. fuel load-gear on board-baitwells full. Prop selection and trim make a difference too. I have a 150HO E-tec on my 1890, mine is rated for 200. I can run 48-52(gps), on a calm day with around 20% below the max hp.
    I have an old 89' 17' bayrunner. Uscg sticker says 150.
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    It might go faster. But it won't catch any more fish. It will hit your wallet. Be careful. Have fun
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    kmangus, with an older hull like that, please take into account the weight of the new engines vrs what was available in 89. Especially if your thru hulls are close to the waterline. You may need to stick to a direct injection 2 stroke instead of a 4 stroke engine or limit your self to lower weight hp.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • weetzaweetza Posts: 156 Officer
    My 17 action is rated for 115 max. I had a 115 hit about 50. Just got a new 90etec hitting around 40. Keep in mind anything above 90 you are going up in weight due to the extra cylinder. Why go so fast and more work on the push pole.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    On my 17' action craft a 90 gets me about 40 mph. Any guesses what a 150 will do? I'm guessing about 52-55 but would like your opinions.

Thanks.

-mag

150 will earn you about another 2" in lost draft (366lbs vs. 487lbs F90 vs. F150) + all potential porpoising issues. A 115 weighs in at 401bs.

150 will also earn you forgone payment in the event of an insurance or warranty claim and potential transom issues if your boat is only rated for a 90. The 1720 FF is rated for a 135 and the FF-Hybrid is rated for a 90. 40 seems a little light with a 90, even on a 1720 FF or 1720 TE. Maybe experimenting with props will help you gain a few more MPH. IMO the few more MPH you get out of a 135 is a bad trade off for loss of draft. Maybe not now, but certainly in the wintertime, where every inch counts.

I used to have a 1720 TE with a 115 @-Stroke. The 115 was more than enough power, and pushed it in the mid 40’s. I could not imagine/would not want a 150 on it.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    60+ with the right prop and trimmed out correctly, the naysayers above are a bunch of pansies......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kanaka wrote: »
    60+ with the right prop and trimmed out correctly, the naysayers above are a bunch of pansies......

You must not catch a lot of redfish, snook, etc., unless your chunking cut ladyfish in the bushes. Pushpole, fly fishing, sight casting are not in your vocab, but trolling motor, 1000 pieces of white bait and towers are.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    The OP wanted to know how fast his ride would be. Didn't say a thing about catching fish.
    Bet he gets to your fishing spot first......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The OP wanted to know how fast his ride would be. Didn't say a thing about catching fish.

True he did.

Bet he gets to your fishing spot first......

Unlikely, not in a 1720 FF, FFH or 1720 TE, certainly not with a 150 on the back. He may get to the edge of the flat first, but he'll be waiting on the tide, always 300 yards behind me and the other guys that can float in 7-8"
    Alright guys... put your egos back in your pants. Just wondering what she'd do with an extra 60hp, no need to throw all sorts of variables into the mix. I sometimes have a 30 minute boat ride to get from spot to spot... would be nice to be able to get there 10 minutes faster if I could, but of course it's nothing that will make me catch any more fish... or will it? :)
    -Boat only drafts in 10.5" as it sits with the 90... I wish I could do 7-8. I think my old bayrunner has a little different hull than the 1720's and newer AC's... mine still has the pocket tunnel but also has a soft 'V' on the hull giving it a little softer ride in the light chop, but killing a couple inches of draft in the process.

Anyway... I love the boat and don't ever plan on getting rid of it if I don't have to. I just find myself wishing for another 15-20 mph on those long boring rides back to the ramp.
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »

Thanks.

-mag

Burn more gas........
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
    Lol
  • Topwater GaryTopwater Gary Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    My 1989 Action Craft Bayrunner 1810 is rated at 150hp. With a VMax 150 loaded and two people it will do 55 on the GPS. It also jumps on plane like a cat. And takes me as shallow as I care to go. It's your boat do what pleases you. Have fun.

Gary
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    There is a 1750 AC here of beach drive with a tower and a VMAX 175... and action crafts don't squat as most others do.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Power required is proportional to the cube of speed. For all things equal (draft, angle of hull when running, etc...) your top speed will go from 40 to 47.4 with a 67% increase in horsepower.
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 158 Deckhand
    67 mph
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    GotTarpon wrote: »
    67 mph

Who and wat?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,331 AG
    drkptt wrote: »
    Power required is proportional to the cube of speed. For all things equal (draft, angle of hull when running, etc...) your top speed will go from 40 to 47.4 with a 67% increase in horsepower.

Finally...one person that has a clue......

And since the Action craft is a Ritchie Sutphen hull...I would say that if I just wanted speed...I could do that 8 MPH with just prop and set up.

You want speed...get one of the old school V-bottom APBA racers to set up your boat.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you