11wt Reel

DKDDKD Posts: 371 Officer
I am looking for a 11wt fly reel to be used along the beaches for medium sized tarpon. Do you think the Lamson size 4 reels (rated for 10-11wt) be big enough? They hold 250 yards of backing. Otherwise, what about the TFO BVK IV? Are there any other options without spending $600-800?

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    How big is a "medium sized" tarpon? In the Keys it would be in the 40-60 lb. range. On the west coast it might be a little heavier. (Hahaha...in Mexico, a medium is only about 20 lbs.!!!)

Anyway, it would depend on your ability to pressure a fish. In the Keys, we routinely caught the average fish of 70-80 lbs. from a dead (staked out) boat, and that was using only a 15 lb. tippet. My reel was an old Fin Nor #3, which held about 250 yds. So theoretically, I guess we could do the same from the beach. My concern would be the unusually large fish or the unusual one that did not jump much and just ran straight out.

The quality of the reel is probably OK. Once you answer those other questions, you'll have a better idea if 250 yds. of backing is sufficient. But if your size is about 50 lbs., then I'd say you'd be OK.
    .......Rick
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,040 Officer
    Orvis Hydros VI. I have one my 12 wt. and it's great.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    250 yards of backing from the beach is not much if you hook an energetic fish. Fish weight des not equate the the size of the fight in a fish
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    If you put 65# Power Pro backing on one of these you are good to go.
    http://albrightflyfish.com/items/gpx-fly-reels/gpx-fly-reel-9-10-detail.htm
    I have a friend who landed 6 Tarpon over 70#s on one of these.
  • ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    mtd885 wrote: »

Great point on the Power Pro!
  • Prhea36Prhea36 Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Allen Kraken!!! sweet reel!
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »

Why 65# test backing with a 20 pound leader? You think if a person could afford to fish for Tarpon, they would buy a reel that was made for the job?....just currious........Carl
  • DKDDKD Posts: 371 Officer
    Allen Kraken looks awesome! I don't know how I haven't seen these before.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Why 65# test backing with a 20 pound leader? You think if a person could afford to fish for Tarpon, they would buy a reel that was made for the job?....just currious........Carl

Hey Carl, how is Mexico these days? I have 65# PP on all my reels now. Walt turned me on to these reels, great value.
  • Caimen1Caimen1 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I really don't mean to spam your thread so please forgive me but there is this option...
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?124074-FS-Nautilus-reel-amp-TFO-rods
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 188 Deckhand
    DK: As I have said before I'm partial toward used and used high/higher end Abel Tibor 'cause they are like Chev/Ford been out long time and available in the used market. But always used good condition any brand. As me arthritic cranking arm slows down I prefer largest spool diameter at least 4 but preferably 4.25-4.5. My KW flats guide uses a Nautilus Monster for 10wt Permit for extra fast take up. I also use 65 braid and 50 braid...the cheapest I can find and second hand as in off my conventional reels. You can put more on with large spool close to top edge so your actual circumference while on the backing during the play is longest. For all FLA fishing I'll use filler on large spool reels and only put 200-250, 50 or 65 braid as backing. IMHO 65 is the thinnest to use with a bare finger(but still can cut) to lay the backing back on the reel during the fight retrieve or during hand on spool rim drag increase. However, I always use an inexpensive Kevlar liner glove(Grainger Supply) on line hand so I will use 50 braid as well as 65 or 80 or 40 depending on what is cheapest and my available second hand stuff. I never use more than 3 lbs drag; the rest, as needed, is hand on rim/spool drag. My largest fly caught(125-145) Keys Tarpon and in guide's hand years ago was on an old Teton 4.5 spool diameter with 2lb drag and lots of hand on spool drag. My venues for Tarpon are Keys and some maybes on Andros and my buzz with Tarpon in me dotage today is: fish on, the jumps, on the flyline, grab the line, open the hook, off...go for another.
  • miaanglermiaangler Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    nautilus ccf.
  • BBearBBear Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I would suggest saving your money and buying a better reel from the get go. I had a $700 reel explode in my hand one time fighting a fish that was probably only 80 lbs. That's part of tarpon fishing. I personally like the Nautilus NV series I have landed several big West Coast beach fish on my 11wt and the reel has been flawless. Another option that I like which has been mentioned is to find a high quality reel that is used. Good luck!

chewed_zpsa4aa5803.jpg
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Another vote for Nautilus!
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    I have a Bauer on my 11 wt, it is a very well made reel.
  • Prhea36Prhea36 Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Cheeky Trash!