New black push pole gets HOT!

Captain JimCaptain Jim Posts: 101 Deckhand
We just got a new flats boat tender on the yacht I run. I bought a graphite (black) Moonlighter Pole for it, nice and light. However, after a short while in the sun, the thing gets too hot to handle. :banghead Thinking of painting it white with Awlgrip. Any advice yes or no on doing this? :huh

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,054 Officer
    We just got a new flats boat tender on the yacht I run. I bought a graphite (black) Moonlighter Pole for it, nice and light. However, after a short while in the sun, the thing gets too hot to handle. :banghead Thinking of painting it white with Awlgrip. Any advice yes or no on doing this? :huh

Just drop it in the water for a few seconds it cools right off.
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    maybe wrap the areas where you hold it with some sort of grip tape or something like that instead of painting it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Get yourself a couple of batting gloves and cut the fingers off.
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 515 Officer
    I've got a beautiful black carbon fiber boat hook/pole (it's a prototype we built that never went into production) that gets up to about 5,000 degrees if it's in the sun. I learned the hard way to make sure it stays tucked into the gunnel rod holders until needed.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Stick an umbrella in the top of it.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i got a white stiffy ill trade ya
  • Captain JimCaptain Jim Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. I'll start by dunking it in the water. Gloves are a good idea. Also thought about wrapping it with white tape. Don't want to trade it. Going to Key West the end of September and again the end of October. Hope to post up some pics then...
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Other than the umbrella at the top, I'd be inclined to try gloves as a cheap solution. I imagine that will definitely cut down on the heat significantly; wearing gloves is also a pain. Painting it would probably work better long term, but I don't know what you should use.

Try the Boat Build section... Thin laminate, high flex, looking for solid white cover with abrasion resistance. You'll of course add some weight to your deal, but if you can figure out the right material to use and just do the top 1/3, it shouldn't be too bad.

Really good topic / question and I'm sure you're not the first guy to spend top dollar on a pole only to have his hands burned. Let us know what you decided to do and how it turns out.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    My black c/f Blackfin pole never gets too hot to pick up.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer

You can go the Alwgrip route or use White Appliance Epoxy, like I did.. Mine is not as durable as Awlgrip, but has lasted 2 years and is simple and cheap to touch up.

Either way, you have to prep the pole:

1) Wipe the pole with Acetone.
    2) Scuff up the entire pole with 120 grit sandpaper.
    3) Wipe with Acetone again.
    4) Spray.
    5) Add a coat of Clear Coat if you want, I didn't clear coat at all and it looks great.

You can get spray cans of Appliance Epoxy at any hardware store.
  • Captain JimCaptain Jim Posts: 101 Deckhand
    RCarbon wrote: »
    You can go the Alwgrip route or use White Appliance Epoxy, like I did.. Mine is not as durable as Awlgrip, but has lasted 2 years and is simple and cheap to touch up.

Either way, you have to prep the pole:

1) Wipe the pole with Acetone.
    2) Scuff up the entire pole with 120 grit sandpaper.
    3) Wipe with Acetone again.
    4) Spray.
    5) Add a coat of Clear Coat if you want, I didn't clear coat at all and it looks great.

You can get spray cans of Appliance Epoxy at any hardware store.

I do have some white Awlgrip left over from another project. I believe if I do paint it, I will put a coat of primer on it. Did you paint yours because it was getting hot?
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,878 Captain
    My bamboo shoot doesn't get too hot. Best part is when I lost it last week while fighting a fish and didn't notice for an hour, I didn't care... because they're free.

:)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • BrentspeedgsxrBrentspeedgsxr Posts: 254 Officer
    Id go tape or paint it grey. I had a kayak paddle that had the opposite problem... it was white which was causing a glare in the sun. SO I painted it dark grey.. I find that white paddles, poles, etc. can be distracting when light catches them.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    I used these gloves quite a bit while paddling the kayak...they're light and don't interfere with knots and etc.

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/sport-series-water-gloves/styles/filter/gloves
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod