STARBRIGHT POLISH

tunamantunaman Posts: 3,731 Captain
Bill, or whoever can help. I noticed I have it with Teflon and another bottle with TPEF or something like that!! Is there a differance? I have used MaGuires medium cutting compound on my gelcoat as the fine didn't really seem to do much. The biggest reason I went with the MaGuires is because its white like my boat and seems to be easier to remove than some others. Gelcoat is med. oxydized. should I follow the Med cut with Fine or go straight to your polish? And again do you reccomend the Teflon or TPEF? Thanks, enjoy the Starbrite forum and products very much!! Sorry about spelling, its more a case of hitting the wrong keys and I'm in a hurry so no time for spell check this A.M.!! sorry

Replies

• BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 510 Officer
    We formerly used the term Teflon for a variety of Star brite products, under license from DuPont.
    When the licensing agreement expired, we replaced the Teflon term with our own copyrighted "PTEF" term. We use the exact same formulas for all of the PTEF products.

The Premium Marine Polish with PTEF is NOT to be used as a cleaner wax - we have One Step Cleaner Wax with PTEF for that (which is actually a polish, not a wax). The Cleaner Wax (polish) is designed to remove light oxidation and hazing or scuff marks without restoring to a rubbing compound. We've seen too many new boats goofed up by detailers who insist on compounding everything in sight. Rubbing Compound is a last resort, not the first choice. Yes it gets a nice shine and is fast, but it eats up viable gel coat. It's not their boat, so they don't care. Kinda like the valet who says your clutch was already smoking when you let him park your car. Uh huh, sure it was.

Use rubbing compound when the surface is uber chalky and won't respond to a cleaner wax.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,731 Captain
    We formerly used the term Teflon for a variety of Star brite products, under license from DuPont.
    When the licensing agreement expired, we replaced the Teflon term with our own copyrighted "PTEF" term. We use the exact same formulas for all of the PTEF products.

The Premium Marine Polish with PTEF is NOT to be used as a cleaner wax - we have One Step Cleaner Wax with PTEF for that (which is actually a polish, not a wax). The Cleaner Wax (polish) is designed to remove light oxidation and hazing or scuff marks without restoring to a rubbing compound. We've seen too many new boats goofed up by detailers who insist on compounding everything in sight. Rubbing Compound is a last resort, not the first choice. Yes it gets a nice shine and is fast, but it eats up viable gel coat. It's not their boat, so they don't care. Kinda like the valet who says your clutch was already smoking when you let him park your car. Uh huh, sure it was.

Use rubbing compound when the surface is uber chalky and won't respond to a cleaner wax.
    Thanks Bill, I'll try the Cleaner Wax. It all makes sence
    Bill, just fyi, North Causeway Marine, New Smyrna has it. Guynwas very hlpful on phone. thanks again.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,812 Captain
    we have One Step Cleaner Wax with PTEF for that (which is actually a polish, not a wax).

Typical marketing gibberish......."We call it a Wax in the name , but it's really not."

What a joke.
    Gibberish? Bite me. Wax has become a generic term. Chances are YOU say "I'm gonna go wax the boat" when in fact you're using a polish.
    Gibberish? Bite me. Wax has become a generic term. Chances are YOU say "I'm gonna go wax the boat" when in fact you're using a polish.

No, wax is still wax, a "natural" surface protectant such as carnauba.
    Sealants are "synthetic" surface protectants.(PTEF)
    "Polishing" is still considered a process of "surface conditioning", whether by chemical cleaning agents or
    milder abrasives than a "compound".
    Now there are some "One Step" products that do that both, that is, "Polish" and "seal" the surface. Hence called a "one Step" product.
    In the professional world of detailing and restoration there is a distinct difference as to "polishing" and "waxing".

Applying only a natural wax or synthetic sealer is commonly called an LSP (last step product).

But since there is no Government regulation as to how these terms are used , we are all
    at the mercy of "marketing".

I'm not picking on Bill or Starbrite, most all do it, or the sales reps are misinformed.
    " For best results, apply a second coat in 10-30 days. Second coat will remove chalk and oxidation brought to surface by the first application."

Oh yes.................The magical oxidation migration.................:Spittingcoffee
    Bill, thank you for your help. I wound up using the Starbright cleaner wax and followed that up with the Starbright marine polish. Boat looks good considering the beating I've given it. I may apply another coat of thepolish later. Actually i don't care if its polish, wax or cleaner wax as long as it works good, and it does. I applied both products with a 6" electric polisher and removed it by hand, again works great nd is easy to use
    You're very welcome. Thanks for letting us know how it worked for you.