Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Last week fishing with Moose

Had a few hours last week to fish with my son. We have been going out about 2-3 times a week and doing real good on snappers. Caught several small reds, snook, and some decent trout as well running and gunning between storms. Also managed some respectable sized jacks.

Everything but the snapper came on DOA's

Snapper seemed to like the little 2"-3" greenies. Heading out again this afternoon and tomorrow if we can find a parking spot at the ramp. :driver:

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    wow man those are some thick grovers.. and nice trout.. good work!
  • BigwaveDaveBigwaveDave Posts: 319 Officer
    Nice fish! Some big mangos for river real nice.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Nice work Jason....those are some fat snappers!

Better enjoy your time with your son now ...pretty soon he'll be thinking of other snappers to catch. :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • PoppopPoppop Posts: 181 Deckhand
    I'd like to be able to do that but I don't have a baitwell in my little boat and the big one takes too much water to float. Do you think one of those bait buckets with the aerator in them could keep my baits alive for more than a couple hours?

Poppop
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Poppop wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to do that but I don't have a baitwell in my little boat and the big one takes too much water to float. Do you think one of those bait buckets with the aerator in them could keep my baits alive for more than a couple hours?

Poppop

It will if you take salt water and freeze it in a few quart milk jugs....and replace them as they thaw out....bait will survive better if you don't roast them in 90 degree water...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • PoppopPoppop Posts: 181 Deckhand
    Good point, I usually just replace the water every half hour or so but the river water is already around 85 or so. If I leave the minnow bucket in the water, I usually forget it at least once and lose all the bait anyhow.
  • redfishrobredfishrob Posts: 270 Officer
    Nice job Borf and Borf jr.. Fat grovers and nice trout.... Ps I know that treeline. ;)
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Poppop wrote: »

Poppop

The greenies will not stay alive long in a bucket. We can keep them alive all day in my boats live well but we are constantly recirculating water. We also toss rejuvinade in the well a few times during the day. I think what kills them is they seem to loose a lot of their tiny scales when you catch them in the castnet and put them in the well, or when they die. In our experience it's the scales that choke out the rest of them. The same size majorra on the other hand work almost as good, are plentiful right now, and will stay alive all day in a bucket with a bubbler as long as the water doesn't get too hot / no in direct sunlight.
  • PostalPostal Posts: 169 Officer
    Sweet trout!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :chill