Alone or not?

Do you prefer fishing alone or with a buddy? I about 50% of the boats I see getting launched at the ramp are loners. Just wondering if that is preference or what. I just got a boat and the 3 times I have been out have been alone. Some days I wish I could tag along with someone to share knowledge as well as fuel with.

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,147 Captain
    There's a couple guys I like fishing with... otherwise it's just me and my dog.
    I don't mind showing people how to fish once in awhile, and letting them use my gear, but I'm out there to relax and not think too much, not babysit and guide.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • kymasabekymasabe Posts: 111 Officer
    I prefer alone. Most of the time I've got one of my daughters along or more likely, my wife, who hates fishing but wants to tag along so she can take pics of teh dolphins and manatees, and ospreys and God knows what else. So, for me, it's a real treat when I go out alone.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I fish alone sometimes because it's difficult to get my buddies to fish during the week. And weekends are family time. I see a lot of solo boaters in the early mornings at all the ramps. Everyone has their own reasons I suppose.

For me, if I go solo it's because 1) I've made a last minute decision the night before 2) whomever said they would fish with me has canceled and I'm certainly not canceling or 3) ***** it I'm going fishing, who cares if I'm by myself
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,157 Captain
    I ran a fishing charter for many years entertaining people, basically, that's what Captains do.
    Now, I prefer to fish alone if not with a good friend.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 769 Officer
    Good and reliable fishing buddies are VERY hard to come by.

I am on the water 5 days a week for work, and run the boat solo. after a while it is nice to have someone to talk to. I like having company especially when exploring new areas. It helps having multiple lines in the water as well as using different techniques.

Offshore, I'd def want at least a second person on board for safety reasons.

Inshore I fly solo all the time. A flats boat is easy to operate, cheap on fuel, and being solo, there's usually no one to argue where we should go next.
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • MayferMayfer Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    I feel the same way as most. I did 4 or 5 trips solo and today took a friends boyfriend out. He usually is landlocked so he was thrilled to get on the water. Bite was slow so we explored some new areas of Sarasota Bay. I enjoyed my alone time but it was nice to have a person on the boat with to swap stories with.