Snapper eating snook!

Went out this morning...
Caught a bunch of spanish sardines (live forever) and even more threadfin herrings (die after 2-3 hours).
Second cast I made a $12 lure donation to the local oyster bar... you're welcome. Switch to live bait.
Drive around a bit, stumble on some jacks absolutely dessamating a pod of bait. Sat and watched for a bit then caught one.

null_zps6c6f60fa.jpg

Don't get much else so I move to a spot that the tide was just right for...

First cast under this dock I hook up and whatever it is, it's massive. 15# braid on and it's just screaming my reel in the direction of the current and there's no stopping it... I try to crank down the drag a little and PING... flouro broke right above the knot. ****. Don't know what it is, but I'm thinking big snook or maybe a straggler grouper.

Switch over to a little heavier gear and start catching some mangrove snapper.

null_zps52251ca2.jpg

First one I catch, I let it back and a dolphin apparently was hiding under the boat and as soon as it hit the water he hauled butt and snagged it up... sort of freaked me out a bit at first. Well **** I'm thinking... if there were any snook here they're gone now (I'm thinking).

Catch another snapper and notice something pretty friggin big trying to grab it as I'm reeling in, but not the dolphin. I'm figuring around 4' long but only caught a quick glimpse of it in about 6' of water... thinking tarpon at this point.

Catch another snapper and now I get a good look at what was chasing them, and what I think I might have hooked into... 3 of the biggest snook I've ever seen in person or online... I'm talking 50" snook here and thick. They're trying to eat snapper that are every bit of 12-14" long... and get this... the dolphin came back to grab the snapper and they couldn't have cared less. They just hung out for a few seconds while the dolphin was running around.

Anyway... tried for the life of me to catch one of those snook... tried a big pinfish, a bunch of whitebait... but never saw em again after that. Tide died, bite died... and I got a good memory.

(I'm going back there tomorrow with bigger gear and bigger bait) :crossed
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    I have seen people at the bridges and piers use snapper as bait but be careful im not sure if its legal.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,874 Captain
    Yeah I don't think it's legal either, but don't know for certain... gonna try to find some big pinfish and finger mullet to try.
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    I have used legal mangos for live bait...work ok if that is what the snook are used to eating....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    As long as the snapper is legal, you can use 5 per day.
    hmmmmm.... well this ought to be fun then.
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    I've never used Mango snapper for bait but a few weeks ago we had someone on the boat reeling in a snapper (very small) and it was taken by a snook. It was not a monster snook by any means. Maybe 24 inches and that is pushing it I think. But I've seen it happen. Good luck
  • weetzaweetza Posts: 156 Officer
    I saw a 40inch attack a 16 inch Cuda I had boat side on Monday, blew my mind.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,608 Moderator
    Hey thanks for the very interesting report.You just never know what will happen on the water.
    larrywitt
  • kymasabekymasabe Posts: 111 Officer
    Cool dog. I'm diggin' the look on his face as he's eyeing up that snapper.
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    larrywitt wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the very interesting report.You just never know what will happen on the water.
    larrywitt

Did you get out today Larry?
  • Alex GAlex G Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I've caught a couple snook on snapper, here is the most recent about 1 month ago
    Got one (two actually, but one broke off)

null_zps1b83cc5b.jpg
    And this one wasn't one of the big ones... she only went 36". BUT... I will say, I think I may have been a little optimistic with my "50 inch" guess. When I was reeling this one in I would have bet the farm it went at least 42". Oh well... still fun. Caught it on a grouper rod with 50lb braid and I think 65 lb flouro leader. Got wrapped around a piling once and I thought for sure it was a goner.
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Nice looking snook, way to keep at it !
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    red_magnet wrote: »
    Nice looking snook, way to keep at it !
    :Agree
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 717 Officer
    Brings about the true theory of matching the hatch
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    Brings about the true theory of matching the hatch

Very true... and from the man who sold me my boat. Cheers! Love this thing. Best purchase I've ever made.
  • ctc1ctc1 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Few years ago middle son & I got on the mangrove snapper near a rock pile in Lemon Bay. Limited out early so went in search of reds / snook, no luck. Returned to rockpile for some more snapper action. Hooked a nice (13") mangrove on a drop 30' from the rockpile. While putting the wood to the snapper with my 7' fairy wand (10# braid # 20# leader) to keep it out of the rocks felt a thump. At first thought he had gotten into the rocks, fingered the spool and tried to torque him out.

Then I felt the head shake.

In a split second, a snook with a head larger than a Newfoundland tore to the surface in did a modified tail walk (couldn't get it's behemoth body out of the water). On it's second tail walk attempt, she returned my 13" snapper and sunk off into the depths. Did not see the whole body but well into the 40s. Jr was napping in his kayak tied off to the mangroves 20' behind me and the commotion woke him up. "What was that?" he inquired. Took 10 minutes for me to compose myself so I could answer.

Whole event lasted less than 30 seconds but will be for forever emblazoned in my brain. Caused a policy change on tackle, nothing less than 20# braid, 30# floro and enough backbone to have a fighting chance.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 717 Officer
    Glad your enjoying the boat and putting her to good use! She should be good to you for many years to come!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral