Home General Fishing

Getting live ballyhoo down in the water column

jjimenez1jjimenez1 Posts: 129 Officer
Hi all,

Wondering what rig folks out there use to get live ballyhoo down in the water column, when targeting kings and other pelagics in South Florida / North Keys. Looking to stagger my baits, but haven't really found any rig which is that successful for targeting the middle column.

Thanks in advance,

Julio

Replies

• SaltySeaDogSaltySeaDog Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Are you trolling? if you are you can just down rig or use a planer.
    Rather be on the ocean...
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Are you trolling? if you are you can just down rig or use a planer.

Kings = planers! I've caught and seen more kings caught with planers than any other way, plus you'll put yourself in the right zone for the occasional HOO

If not trolling, you can hook them in the back (i.e. stinger rig in reverse)
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,898 Moderator
    Ballyhoo down = cudas
  • jjimenez1jjimenez1 Posts: 129 Officer
    I was wondering if I could troll them behind a planer while alive (would be bumping it in and out of gear mostly, can't exactly go too fast with live bally's). But I would primarily be doing this while drifting or anchored, say in 100 - 140 feet.

I've used a method where an egg sinker is used and kept in place using a golf tee. It sounds weird, and I'm always a little worried that it'll chafe the line or something, but it did produce me my largest kingfish to date. Has anyone else used a similar method?

Thanks all,

Julio
  • TheLegendFloridaTheLegendFlorida Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I use a rapala CD Magnum 7' it dives down i believe 25+ and caught a few kings on that.They make a model in a 9' i have never tried but wouldnt mind it
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,898 Moderator
    jjimenez1 wrote: »
    I was wondering if I could troll them behind a planer while alive (would be bumping it in and out of gear mostly, can't exactly go too fast with live bally's). But I would primarily be doing this while drifting or anchored, say in 100 - 140 feet.

I've used a method where an egg sinker is used and kept in place using a golf tee. It sounds weird, and I'm always a little worried that it'll chafe the line or something, but it did produce me my largest kingfish to date. Has anyone else used a similar method?

Thanks all,

Julio

Yes, you can do what I call power drift, just bumping the motor in gear to keep the baits behind the boat, sust as if you were doing this on the surface. And instead of a golf tee, bend y our leader in half and push the loop thru the egg sinker. Place a piece f # 64 or #32 rubber band thru the loop and pull it half way back thru the sinker. When a fish hits, the line will straighten out and with it, pull the rubber band out of the hole. It may or may not drop off depending on the fight