Short day Near shore looking for gags SW of sanibel lighthouse 8/26/13

The Tileman has had his hands full working on his motor,very little time on the water for him. Calls and tells me he has Monday off.

Can we wet a line,he knows it will be a short day. Well its off to some debris piles that has held nice gags in the past. Winds were 15 to20 mph so the accurate anchoring that is needed was a real problem..We must have moved 6 times or more using a grapple anchor to hook up on various structure I brought but never used it. Chum would have been wasted if not anchored right. Caught some pins for bait Frank was the first to get nice hits his drag was locked down rod doubled over reels up the bait you could see the scrape marks on the bait from grouper teeth. Sets it back down gets hammered again fish on /fish off broken leader. A little later Frank again locked down drag fish on/fish off this time broken knot.. I went to my bow rod loosened drag a little it gets hammered nice keeper gag. Total catch not great but fun Spanish,Flounder, (1) gag

Got back to dock before rains hit thank goodness.
Have to talk to Tileman about knots and leaders. LOL:huh
larrywitt

Replies

• Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Looks like Tileman and Larry are back !!!!!!!!!!!!! Great report :crowd
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    Is it safe to take a 19.8 foot scout out there to the rubble reefs Larry? It has a big hull and I believe I was over that spot once. Large rectangle on my Garmin in about 20 feet? I was out there in September of last year and it was calm but at that point I had no idea what I was doing as far as fishing goes. Glad to see you are back out there by the way!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,664 Moderator
    As long as your boat is in good running condition you should be fine. The Causeway bridge rubble number is were you should go, location is listed as one of the LEE County reefs. I would not use a regular anchor, it has to be a easy release style. This last trip we had to break of one of the metal prongs on my grapple anchor the get loose. The bottom is very rough it is an anchor burial ground.
    That is why it is very fishy.
    good luck
    larrywitt
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    Thanks Larry! I will give it a shot!
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,117 Officer
    The 2 fish I lost hit like a freight train and had no problem breaking 50 lbs test mono leader. Never estimate the fish your fising for ...next time it will be @least 80 lbs leader and the drag will give a little. Funny thing...we marked a lot of fish however we didn't wait them out to eat, there are keepers in shore...just got to put the time into finding them. My opion on how far you go is comon , sense and experience on handling your vessel, more important knowing your limits as well as your vessels. And by all means know the weather and the winds and always have safety equiptment on board...radio, seatow, etc.
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Nice work Larry. Were you in clean or brown water?
    We were south and the water was not brown it was better than I expected.
    larrywitt
  • Shore Catch FishingShore Catch Fishing Posts: 127 Officer
    nitelite08 wrote: »
    Is it safe to take a 19.8 foot scout out there to the rubble reefs Larry? It has a big hull and I believe I was over that spot once. Large rectangle on my Garmin in about 20 feet? I was out there in September of last year and it was calm but at that point I had no idea what I was doing as far as fishing goes. Glad to see you are back out there by the way!

I take my KW Bay Reef 196 (19.5 ft) 20-25 miles out regularly. All saftey gear, DSC VHF a must, and careful planning of weather conditions.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 761 Officer
    If you pick your days right, a hull with good freeboard and a good running engine can take you out and back safely. Safety should always be the number one priority. As a fellow fisherman and TowBoatUS captain here in Cape Coral, always plan for the worse. Have a towing membership with us or the yella fella. It will save you from some serious sticker shock god forbid something go wrong. I have run out with a buddy on his 20 mako without incident, as well as numerous occasions on the towboat going to rescue folks from unforeseen incidents. I've only been on the west coast of Florida for about 2 years and am finally going to get to do some offshore fishing this year as I don't have to fight a ft school and work schedule.

Looking forward to getting out there, and inviting some of you locals out for a day on the water. Larry, short day with dinner in the box is always a plus.
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    Capt Dan all you said is true..A few years ago we were caught off shore in some terrible wind,rain and waves, took us awhile to get back to the pass and into the sound..Feeling were in safe water I turned the helm over to some another person and said just follow the track that was on the screen 10 inch Garmin, it was still raining hard. Next thing I know I am on the deck thrown forward as we run up on a shoal. MY MISTAKE he was following the track direction but was way off it. (TOWBOAT US) I have had it for years never used,this one time made it worth it..Mary was ready to call the Coast Guard got home just before midnight.
    ONE MORE THING file a float plan..One more thing call home if you are going to be late, she was happy and mad at the same time.
    Stay safe
    larrywitt