Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

30 & 31....

Figured I better post these so I don't forget what number of slams I'm at....even though I know cbmdk86 will keep me straight on it...:)

My "streak" ended at 6 in a row on Saturday...I just could not find a snook...any size snook. And before you say it...since a few of my buddies said it back in 2011 when I did 54 days of catching a Redfish in a row.. I did not kill my own baby because I got tired of babysitting! ...I stayed at it till well past noon...I just could not get it done. I did have three very nice trout all in the middle twenties and a big fat pumpkin Redfish.
Sunday was no better other than I had a nice Snook ( Figures..right?) that was close to a slottie...and a nice top slot Redfish....but never even saw a trout... BUT...I did catch this... IMG_20130827_080135_zps0d0a21f0.jpg

I caught one a few months back...and the debate raged..Sennet or small 'cuda.....:shrug

Monday I hit a windy point early with plastic and got a small snook and lost one other boatside.. jumped another off...and not long after that got a little guy Redfish. Not too long later jump off another better size snook but it slows way down after this. I move to a new spot and after seeing a couple nice Reds..way up under the bushes.. I switch to a day old left over wiggler to try and sight up stuff....and get one nice mid twenties Red not long after. OK..this is where I really start to struggle. Lots of dead time and not seeing much....then, after several spots it's after noon and I'm feeling hot and tired...but I find a few fish...Reds mostly, in the
22-23 inch range....BUT, I have every manner of disaster and foul up you can imagine. Baits flung off..two baits picked off the jig without even feeling the strike...two more that I hit them..they run 10 feet and shake off...I get down to my last few baits...that were not looking so great...and I see another Red. Make what I think is a good shot...but lose sight of the fish...start to bring it in to reshoot...and a fat trout whacks it!...and at..1:35 ..after hours of frustration..I have a slam.
No pics since I forgot my phone...and got yelled at by the wife for forgetting my phone at home...she likes to have me on an electronic leash. :grin
Yesterday, I woke up late...looked at Radar and knew rain was coming..for sure! Took my time getting fuel and coffee..and by the time I got to the ramp..it was storming. I decided to wait it out since there was nothing behind it so I was out a bit late...no matter...got a small snook early. It cleared up pretty good so i started looking for Reds and did pretty well considering all the wind...Got 3 pretty quickly...
IMG_20130827_093138_zpsf831e367.jpg

then went looking for that trout. l looked at several good spots but the wind was brutal!...could just not see with all the wind ripples. As an almost last resort I went back to my Redfish spot figuring that I may get lucky since there are a few trout there and I wouldn't cry if I caught another Red or two before quitting. It was the right move...picked off a nice trout at 10:40 and slam 31 was complete...

IMG_20130827_092519_zps86c87079.jpg
.and picked up one more Red. Headed towards the ramp...with one brief stop.....and got a nice fat trout...Thought for a moment about looking for one more snook for a "double slam" but I was just too beat from the heat!
Finished with one Snook...two Trout and four Reds....
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies