Long Trip

TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 658 Officer
Ok, so I thought it would be cool to paddle from Miami to Bimini and the around the Bahamas for a week...during my research I came across this:

http://www.paddleforwells.com/index.html

And I thought paddling to the Bahamas was crazy....

Replies

• joedaddyjoedaddy Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I'd do it in a heartbeat riding in a Hobie Island Adventure! (full of flairs)
    In all seriousness, we've spent full days in slop the big boats wouldn't go out in. People forget that if you're cruising (trolling speed) inches over the water line, 3-5' seas are just wet. I'd be worried about my **** getting sore first. And of course the biggest fear, coming home to wife after said "bold" (stupid) endeavor.

Hmmm...daydreaming about raising the sail on an AI pointed at the islands with a few lures in tow...
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    I second the trip with a AI and a support boat just in case…
    But hell yea I'll do it…
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 658 Officer
    So it's 40 miles from Miami to Bimini right? I can see where fanny fatigue would set in, but what a rush being out in the blue in just a kayak. I second the idea of a support boat. Would definitely need to check with Mother Nature. How long do you think it would take? I saw some kayaks with sails on this website, www.aquahunters.com, they are based out of Hawaii...tough life ya know.
  • NaplesYaksterNaplesYakster Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Funny. This crazy notion came across my mind more than once too. But wouldn't it be risky with the gulfstream current and a north wind?
    I would do it in a WINGMAN KAYAK.
    http://www.switchsports.co.nz/Wingman
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 658 Officer
    OH, not saying it would be easy by any stretch of the imagination. You would have to compensate for the currents by adjusting your direction more southward. But this is where a GPS would come in handy by keeping you on track. Definitely need some preplanning, that's for sure!

That wingman is awsome! But it makes you wonder if you could do it to two of your own kayaks cheaper. What is interesting is that based on the ad at the bottom of the page, they'll buy your old kayak for $1000. Guess they are just upfitting the ones they are buying.
  • MahiBoneMahiBone Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Bimini trip would be awesome and I have the perfect pitch to sell my wife on the idea..."Hun, imagine all the cool things you can do with the life insurance money". BTW... This kid on that is doing the 5K trip just had his rig stolen today... I was reading his blog and it sounds like it would be a fun trip.
  • NaplesYaksterNaplesYakster Posts: 91 Deckhand
    an added note..
    Bahamaian customs charges $150 for vessels under 35' (jet skiers included). Wonder if they make the distinction between no-motor kayaks?
    I'll argue with the Bahamaian customs peeps if I ever make it there in a kayak. They might just tow me anyways and call me crazy for kayaking from Miami to begin with.

Wow, yeah, just read the blog, now that sucks getting your kayak stolen from you while you slept. What is even worse, if the read the previous post, he was just in the Methodist Church the day before and the congregation prayed over him for his safe travel....remind me not to have them pray for me, geeezzz. Apparenlty he is out his kayak, gear, and some clothes. He borrowed a kayak and paddled 14 miles looking for his kayak that "floated" away. Hate it for him. It would be bad enough to have your car stolen, but your kayak?! That's a new one.