Home General Fishing

Do You Reply in Questioning Accuracy or Integrity in a Post/Report or Comment?

GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
A good while back I was looking at the Boats for Sale section on here and came across an 18ft Flats Boat with a 2stroke 115 Yamaha. Nice looking boat and I read the information the seller posted about it. It was claimed that the boat would run 55mph, and after owning one just like it I would find that very hard to believe if not impossible. I read the rest of the comments and didn't reply on the sellers thread, but I guess I could have challenged the seller's statement of how fast the boat would run, but I didn't.

I know of a guy that is a Ballistics expert and on another forum he would read a gun for sale ad and if the owner made a statement that a rifle would shoot inside 1/2" groups at 100 yards....he would post a comment that he would meet the owner at the range of their choice and put the cash on the shooting bench that the owner wanted for the rifle, but the owner would have to put 3 shots inside a 1/2" at 100yards to get the sale. If he didn't put 3 shots inside a 1/2" he took his cash back and the rifle with it. To my knowledge no one ever chose to back up their accuracy statement by shooting to prove it, but he done this a lot and created some bad opinions of himself with many members.

Do You Reply in Questioning Accuracy or Integrity of a Post or Comment on this Forum?

Replies

• superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    sure.

youll never know if you dont ask questions. neither will the poster if they are wrong. one of the 2 are going to be going around thinking the wrong thing.
  • BigJoupBigJoup Posts: 171 Officer
    I don't think there's any issue in commenting or questioning accuracy or integrity as long as it's done in a respectful and polite manner. Insinuating someone is a liar or being intentionally dishonest is rude and disrespectful when you don't know the specifics.
    Treasure Coast Battery & Alternator 772-287-0301

Treasure Coast Tackle www.treasurecoasttackle.com

"That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well"- Abraham Lincoln
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    BigJoup wrote: »
    I don't think there's any issue in commenting or questioning accuracy or integrity as long as it's done in a respectful and polite manner. Insinuating someone is a liar or being intentionally dishonest is rude and disrespectful when you don't know the specifics.

Good Post. I agree with you.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    BigJoup wrote: »

x2

Oh, and we ALL know someone in the comic above me. EFF those guys haha
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Its different for any thread posted and it also depends on the Forum... Some forums don't want to deal
    with any Drama and will either lock the thread up or PM you to disregard anything said.. and in some
    cases they are right...

After yrs of being on many different types of forums.. You tend to see patterns with some folks (most of the time
    they are new) Who like to beat their chest (forums tend to make super hero out of people :banghead)

I for one will call out somebody in a heartbeat> but I will also go back and check thru the person pass post
    to see what he has written in the past.. (Past post almost always will come back and bite someone in the rear)

IMHO if you read something that you know is false... then by all means say something and people
    will come back firing back at you, for daring to call them out... Well too bad..people need to put on their Big boy
    pants and be ready to handled any feedback... if they lied or made a wrong statement and kept going with it.

I will let most things go because it becomes too much of a drama show after awhile> but then there are times
    when people make a statement that way out of the ball park and someone needs to say something...

I can't tell you how many "Kids" we had on forums that love to beat their chest and say how they done impossible
    things or own $$$$$$$ gear and they don't even work :banghead ... we have caught people post pictures of
    fish and gear that wasn't even theirs...

Now before I have all the Young folks yelling at me> NOT all of them are like that... and yes we also have older
    folks that tend to lie... but there is no hope for them :grin .... at least with a young person you can call them out
    and they hopefully learn a lesson and become better at their replies or threads...

But don't take my word for calling people out> Its in my nature to do that and if you aren't that type of person..
    IMO don't get caught up in the BS.... because life too short.. again just my .02 :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,756 AG
    I tend to tell people stuff they really don't want to hear.....and my "delivery" may not be very " PC "...but that comes from realizing some things as you get older...

1) Nobody on any forum will be paying my bills...so who gives a f**k what they think.....

2) Opinions on the internet are worth every penny you paid for them....

3) The internet lets everyone be an expert....without having to prove you know $h!+ from shine-O-La

If your feelings are easily bruised...You should read but don't post....will save you hurt feelings.

PS... If you have read this forum a long time...you will figure out the guys who know what they are talking about...and who is just talking to be included in the discussion.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Small dogs bark the loudest. I generally let it go, unless the person is repeatedly annoying/offensive. I'd call someone out for selling something unethically, but I think generally "buyer beware" is a given when buying things from a name on the internet.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I usually only post if I want to share my opinion, or help somebody out, or I have a question. I don't call people out on their lies or mistakes, because it honestly doesn't affect me whether they say they catch 70 inch snook on Barbie rods. If its true, good for them. If its not true, oh well at least they have a vivid imagination...
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    DuckmanJR> Hit it on the nose (well at least for me)... I hate getting involved in "Real" Drama... forum
    chit doesn't bother me anymore... IMHO we do have some good folks that join and really want to learn this sport..

And that's when it becomes a problem> If a person is giving out BAD infor then I hope people will set them
    straight.. and it doesn't have to be done in a ugly way.. but then again this will also depend on the person..

and I also believe that luck does happen> but it doesn't happen a lot to the same people and that's when I say
    people need to call them out on it....

I have never seen a 70in snook caught on a Barbie setup> but if someone did it and then posted and beat their
    chest that they do it all the time> You Better believe i'm calling them out on it.. :grin

But see that's me.... I don't like bullies/liar/cheats or poachers.... and I understand that "Everybody" is an expert
    on a forum... but at least backup one or two claims that you posted...

Just wait till we are start talking about all the Badazzes on a forum :grin hell if you read Off topics at times..
    People are ready to throw down at a drop of a hat and everybody is a Ninja LOL
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I tend to tell people stuff they really don't want to hear.....and my "delivery" may not be very " PC "...but that comes from realizing some things as you get older...

1) Nobody on any forum will be paying my bills...so who gives a f**k what they think.....

2) Opinions on the internet are worth every penny you paid for them....

3) The internet lets everyone be an expert....without having to prove you know $h!+ from shine-O-La

If your feelings are easily bruised...You should read but don't post....will save you hurt feelings.

PS... If you have read this forum a long time...you will figure out the guys who know what they are talking about...and who is just talking to be included in the discussion.

Dang Duck I know we have had apposing views on certain things. Hey we are ol farts we can get away with it. But you could not have put it any clearer.
    seajay-1 wrote: »
    Dang Duck I know we have had apposing views on certain things. Hey we are ol farts we can get away with it. But you could not have put it any clearer.

Between you and jettypark...I'm well on my way to rebuilding my fan base.....:rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I think it's bad form to call someone out in a for sale forum and generally I do not.

Any other forum is fair game, though. In fact, I encourage it. There's too much bull**** information circulating the internet because people just pass along any old piece of garbage they read or heard somewhere.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Between you and jettypark...I'm well on my way to rebuilding my fan base.....:rotflmao

Your welcome..
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Call 'em out. All day! You don't have to be rude, and the seller doesn't have to lie. It's as rude, or more rude to lie and assume everyone is an idiot. The fact is some novice guy/girl sets up to go look at the boat and buys it...not only did the boat not do 55, but the stringers were bad and the transom is about to fall off, and we read about another person in the news.

I understand we all knew what to look for when we bought our first boat, and we're all experts, but that's different. :wink
    It's not anyones responsibility to look out for anyone, but you could save some kid or a rookie a lot of heartache with a few simple words of wisdom. We didn't all grow up with an old man, grandpa, uncle etc. to help us learn the ropes, did we? So...call 'em out and help someone out a bit. I've offered many a time to go with some "stranger" to look over a used car, hotrod, truck, boat etc. and if wanted, offer my opinion AND why I feel the way I do about said object.

Duckman, I'm a fan as well...you're a straight shooter and your sarcasim cracks me up. Your way with words reminds me of my old man and I appreciate that. Your advise and wisdom is priceless on many topics! I believe more people read and absorb what's being said than we will ever know. There is no telling how many people have taken what you and the many others have said on these forums and taken it to the "bank".

You know?
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • sanibelBryansanibelBryan Posts: 25 Deckhand
    a wise person speaks because they have something to say, fool because the have to say something
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,571 Captain
    a wise person speaks because they have something to say, fool because the have to say something

Confucius says
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer

I'm calling out your grammar.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer

Warsaw :banana
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Deckhand
    If someone advertised a boat just like mine and said it would go 55mph I wouldn't tell them they were wrong at all. I would say that my boat that was set up exactly the same way wouldn't get a hair over 44 on GPS though. But technically I couldn't account for every variable with his boat, and therefore I couldn't say with any degree of certainty that he was lying about it. With my luck he'd post a video from a few years back running from hurricane Ivan in the surf with a 65mph tailwind... Oh how people would laugh. lol

As for the rifles, given enough setup most rifles probably could shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Put a decent rifle in a vise and monitor and compensate for the wind and you probably can do it pretty regularly. Put a human behind the trigger though and anything is possible. A shaky hand can make a good rifle miss a wall or put a cheap rifle on paper by accident. Either way you'll come off as a cocky *** challenging every ad on the internet to a chance to prove their claims. What would you really stand to gain from that?
    twirp wrote: »
    Call 'em out. All day! You don't have to be rude, and the seller doesn't have to lie. It's as rude, or more rude to lie and assume everyone is an idiot. The fact is some novice guy/girl sets up to go look at the boat and buys it...not only did the boat not do 55, but the stringers were bad and the transom is about to fall off, and we read about another person in the news.

I understand we all knew what to look for when we bought our first boat, and we're all experts, but that's different. :wink
    It's not anyones responsibility to look out for anyone, but you could save some kid or a rookie a lot of heartache with a few simple words of wisdom. We didn't all grow up with an old man, grandpa, uncle etc. to help us learn the ropes, did we? So...call 'em out and help someone out a bit. I've offered many a time to go with some "stranger" to look over a used car, hotrod, truck, boat etc. and if wanted, offer my opinion AND why I feel the way I do about said object.

Duckman, I'm a fan as well...you're a straight shooter and your sarcasim cracks me up. Your way with words reminds me of my old man and I appreciate that. Your advise and wisdom is priceless on many topics! I believe more people read and absorb what's being said than we will ever know. There is no telling how many people have taken what you and the many others have said on these forums and taken it to the "bank".

You know?

Thank you twirp.... my stock is on the rise....:wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    csanders wrote: »
    If someone advertised a boat just like mine and said it would go 55mph I wouldn't tell them they were wrong at all. I would say that my boat that was set up exactly the same way wouldn't get a hair over 44 on GPS though. But technically I couldn't account for every variable with his boat, and therefore I couldn't say with any degree of certainty that he was lying about it. With my luck he'd post a video from a few years back running from hurricane Ivan in the surf with a 65mph tailwind... Oh how people would laugh. lol

I have found that unless you either raced boats ( APBA) or have owned some high powered bass or ski boats...generally, people have no real idea of how fast their boat is..or what it * is capable of * .

Back before GPS... Everybodys boat did 60 MPH...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    csanders wrote: »
    As for the rifles, given enough setup most rifles probably could shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Put a decent rifle in a vise and monitor and compensate for the wind and you probably can do it pretty regularly. Put a human behind the trigger though and anything is possible. A shaky hand can make a good rifle miss a wall or put a cheap rifle on paper by accident. Either way you'll come off as a cocky *** challenging every ad on the internet to a chance to prove their claims. What would you really stand to gain from that?

Agree...kinda... Almost any decent Bolt action rifle...shot from a bench rest...with a competent shooter... who has thrown down range not just a lot of ammo...but many manufacturers and bullet weights..since every rifle will have a particular round it will be dead nutz accurate with....Then, it should happen.

I wonder what that fella would do if he unknowingly called out some spec op sniper....who said..." Bring $25,000 cash...and if it doesn't happen you get the gun and the money...if it does...you just lost some serious cash big mouth!" :)
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    bonephish wrote: »
    Warsaw :banana

Ugly Stick.
  • tenacioustenacious Posts: 124 Deckhand
    a few of the forums i am on have disabled comments in the for sale section. some of the flaming was very justified, and some not so much. one site even deleted any negative postings about its sponsors which i found pretty unethical.

as was stated, there are a lot of variables as far as the boat running faster or slower than yours. maybe the guy was buttering it up to sell it, but if its not true a prospective buyer might think there's an issue if it is 10 mph slower than claimed on the sea trial. the seller could be shooting himself in the foot lying, because if hes lying about top speed, how could you trust his maintenance and upkeep story?

i tend to stay out of things like that, unless they are so outrageous that they cant be reasonably truthful, or deserve a good flaming. one story that comes to mind was a fishing report on another site. to sum it up: a guy posted a report stating that they caught a 500lb tiger shark and released it. a bunch of people praised him on the release and all was well. the next day he posted pictures of his catch...... on the deck of the boat with a gaff buried in its head. he got a very well deserved flaming for that one. he didn't see any wrong in gaffing it in the head and dragging it on deck for a few pictures before releasing it:huh he figured that as big as it was, the gaff in its head was the equivalent of a mosquito bite. that dude deserved every ear full that he got. i don't think anyone could defend his decisions that day.

i would leave it alone unless you are 100% sure that its BS or a total head scratcher like the tiger story , in this case i don't think you can be sure.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    When it comes to fishing, and catching, I am very careful, because you just never know. What people don't realize, is that there are very few "facts" in fishing. About the only thing that really gripes me, is the guy with very limited experience, but he DID have this or that experience, and he prints it as gospel. OR, he has that experience, and uses it to bash some poor fellow with 30 years behind him, who might post something different and contrary to his very limited experience. That has happened to me.

It's like the 50's through the 70's when outdoor magazines were in their heyday. January and February issues roll around and they are full of articles about the bonefishing in the Keys. The authors invariably neglect to mention that they were fishing in May, June or July, when there was little or no wind. They had no control over when the article was published. So the masses descend on the Keys in January and expect top notch bonefishing. Same is true with fishing shows in the old days. I've given folks a stellar day on the water and they leave the dock, totally unimpressed, having caught a permit and 2 muttons on the flats.

"So and so, caught 4 permit and 7 bonefish in a show I watched last month."

Yeah, but they fished and filmed for 3 days to catch those fish............(There's a lot of misinformation out there.)
    .......Rick
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    is the guy with very limited experience, but he DID have this or that experience, and he prints it as gospel. OR, he has that experience, and uses it to bash some poor fellow with 30 years behind him, who might post something different and contrary to his very limited experience. That has happened to me.

PR...And it really is a problem. Over in the EC forum there were a few guys who really had some talent and info/experience to share....BUT...then some wet behind the ear kid comes along and because he's " a big dog too " wants to debate a guy and tell evereyone that that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. And what happens?...The guy who REALLY DOES KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT...says " F that....I'm not getting anything to help those a-holes" ....and they stop posting.

I told somebody one time that if they stay around forums long enough... and read the forums and what someone posts long enough...and you are a real fisherman...you'll figure out who really knows there stuff...and who is posting just to be "included" in the conversation.

You...are on a short list. :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled