Home General Fishing

Snook season 2013

SpoontasticSpoontastic Posts: 127 Officer
Is anyone else as excited as I am about the opening of snook season. Ive done very well in the last couple months with catching them and letting every single one go. Im sure there are some scumbags out there that have kept them. But I can not wait to throw my topwater at a couple of my spots, and hopefully have the luck ive been having. Only this time, ill get to keep my slot fish. Feel free to share your excitement!!!

Replies

• congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    I'd much rather they keep it closed another year on the gulf coast. But that's just me. I have more fun catching them than killing em.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I was until they turned the water black with the lake O releases. I'm not sure I want to eat a fish that's been living in that toxic sauce. I scratched a trip to Sanibel this coming week. I' might try St Pete or AMI.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    I was until they turned the water black with the lake O releases. I'm not sure I want to eat a fish that's been living in that toxic sauce. I scratched a trip to Sanibel this coming week. I' might try St Pete or AMI.

My cousin said the same thing about the water. He's probably not going to eat them.

I read that only about 3-5% of the snook caught will be in the slot. Obviously, stats aren't perfect but I don't think eating a slot size snook will devestate the population.

Realistically, given my schedule and the limited amount of fishing time i'll be getting, if I do catch a slot size snook this year i'll be eating it. I doubt i'll catch more than one or two this season in the slot.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • SpoontasticSpoontastic Posts: 127 Officer
    I'd much rather they keep it closed another year on the gulf coast. But that's just me. I have more fun catching them than killing em.

I do agree that it being closed as long ad it was did very well for the fish numbers and size. Although I do like to keep one every now and then to eat. A great fighting fish, not to mention tastes amazing.

And water clarity here in the St.Pete area is absolutely amazing right now. Almost spring like. Ive been wading the last 4 days in a row and its been beautiful. Have killed the reds and nice size snook. The snook are an awesome white and yellowish and the reds are a beautiful gold bronze color.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,961 Captain
    My cousin said the same thing about the water. He's probably not going to eat them.

I read that only about 3-5% of the snook caught will be in the slot. Obviously, stats aren't perfect but I don't think eating a slot size snook will devestate the population.

Realistically, given my schedule and the limited amount of fishing time i'll be getting, if I do catch a slot size snook this year i'll be eating it. I doubt i'll catch more than one or two this season in the slot.

Is his name Tom?
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    I wish I was as lucky to catch some. I only caught one a few months ago & he was only 17". That was my first. Lately I have seem them periodically hanging out under our dock. I have pitched live shrimp & they were just biting but not running. Hopefully I will land a big snook one of these days.
  • SpoontasticSpoontastic Posts: 127 Officer
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    I wish I was as lucky to catch some. I only caught one a few months ago & he was only 17". That was my first. Lately I have seem them periodically hanging out under our dock. I have pitched live shrimp & they were just biting but not running. Hopefully I will land a big snook one of these days.

Ive had most of myluck on live green backs with a cut in the tail and on top water mirro lures. All in the very early to late morning. They've pulled some line out but for the most part like yesterday, my 30 inch snook jumped about 10 different times trying to shake that hook. Keep it up, you'll get one soon that will light you up!
    nick wrote: »
    Is his name Tom?

It may or may not be. :wink
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Native2Native2 Posts: 50 Deckhand

I agree. I have been targeting them in different spots with different methods for the last 4 months and have found that live greenbacks have been the most effective for me anyways. I have been going out at least once a week and usually catch at least 3-5 per trip. I have only landed 4 during this period that would have been in the slot.

I think as long as you are keeping it legal, I don't think it will affect the population that much. And the people that aren't staying legal are going to take them home and affect the population whether there is an open season or not.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Catching a slot snook during open season is like seeing Bigfoot :grin I stay home when the season opens..
    don't forget its a three day weekend (Labor day) and everybody is out there... trying to catch one...

Piers/jetties will be shoulder to shoulder... boat traffic will be just as bad.... Good luck out there
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    I avoid every holiday weekend on the water like the plague.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Snook know when the season opens! I swear!

I've fished one spot and crushed them the day before or two days before, only to come back to the same honey hole (same tide, bait, time, etc) and have only the rats come over the gunnels.

Slot snook during season? ppppfffffffftttttt dream on :rotflmao

Tight lines for all those huntin' the linesiders!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    Jettypark wrote: »
    Catching a slot snook during open season is like seeing Bigfoot :grin I stay home when the season opens..
    don't forget its a three day weekend (Labor day) and everybody is out there... trying to catch one...

Piers/jetties will be shoulder to shoulder... boat traffic will be just as bad.... Good luck out there

So glad I have 2 docks to fish from. I can deal with the passing boats from time to time.
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Snook know when the season opens! I swear!

I've fished one spot and crushed them the day before or two days before, only to come back to the same honey hole (same tide, bait, time, etc) and have only the rats come over the gunnels.

Slot snook during season? ppppfffffffftttttt dream on :rotflmao

Tight lines for all those huntin' the linesiders!

Hey Zimmernole. How's it going? Don't see you much here posting unless I am not looking in the right locations? Have a great holiday weekend!!!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    Hey Zimmernole. How's it going? Don't see you much here posting unless I am not looking in the right locations? Have a great holiday weekend!!!

It's going well, I've been busy with work and spend most forum time over in the No Motor Zone as 75% of my fishing is from a kayak. You have a wonderful holiday weekend as well!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,795 Captain
    If you want to know how the snook are doing down in the Everglades, check out the report I posted this week...

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?126861-Everglades-backcountry-report-28-August-2013
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666