Kayak Repair

I'm searching to buy my first kayak, and I found on that is damaged and was wondering if someone could give me a ball park cost to fix it.
Here is the boat.

And here is the damage...

Thanks for anyhelp

Replies

• Flat yakkinFlat yakkin Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Wow that one better be free! I have repaired some of mine but that's a pretty big hole. If that is cracked from dry rot, leave it where you found it. If not they do sell a product that is called gflex at Westmarine that will repair it. Your gonna need the piece that came out of there though.
  • indianporfavorindianporfavor Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    i thought it kinda looked like something that had been sitting in the sun for too long, but knowing nothing about kayaks i figured id ask. PO stated that he hit it with his lawn mower, not the blade, just like bumped it while mowing. He was asking 175...i guess i will let that one go

thanks for the help
    Yea, the whole thing will probably crumble on you. Speaking from personal experiance, make sure you water test anything you buy. If they don't act like they want to water test it then don't buy it. I am selling one of mine and the ad offers a water test prior to purchase. Good luck shopping!
  • indianporfavorindianporfavor Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    thanks for the advice! you have a link to the one your selling?
    It's on craiglist treasure coast boats 14 redfish.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    DO NOT BUY THAT!
  • mackerelmaniacmackerelmaniac Posts: 119 Officer
    Buy it but give him the coupon that says its free. I agree with comments above it looks like the plastic is too brittle because of sun exposure.
  • NaplesYaksterNaplesYakster Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Keep kayaks in garage or shaded area if that's the only option. The one pictured above looks like it sat in the sun for over 5+ years. I can't believe many kayak outfitters keep their stuff outside all the time in the sun. No thanks!
  • MahiBoneMahiBone Posts: 40 Deckhand
    This kayak is worthless... poor sucker who buys it. The plastic looks brittle and unrepairable.