Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boca Raton Inlet

Locals!!!

I'm coming down in early October from NE Florida region to do some offshore fishing. I hear the inlet can be treacherous at times. I'm looking for any knowledge and past experiences with navigating in and out of the inlet. I have a 26ft proline.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to share any fishing recommendations as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Mainly that it is skinny, just check this before you go: http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/webcams/bocainlet/

We mostly have issues here on north winds and low tide, common sense, but watch for that.

And someone will chime in with good info for you, I don't use that one.
  • Brook,

I navigate that inlet in a 32 inboard and have no problem with the depth. That is the main issue, skinny depth at low tide. October is usually free of the big swell, so that most likely won't be an issue. The only precaution I take, is I do not try to gun it up on plane until I clear the skinny water.

That being said, the Hillsborough fleet uses that inlet a couple time a day and thos e 45 to 55 foot boats have no problem either.

Outgoing tide near low can put an interesting chop in that inlet in that case you take a hard right just past the South jetty and work offshore out of the current.

Good luck, Oct can have a nice run of Dolphin and everything near shore gets hot with the bait runs.
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Outgoing tide and east wind can make it rather choppy but not a real problem....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]