Home General Fishing

Bucket List

DonnieHoughDonnieHough Posts: 199 Officer
I looked to see if a post like this has been done before and didn't see one, figured I would make one and see what kind of responses it would get.

What is on your fishing bucket list? You can put what species of fish, size, type of fishing (kite, spear, ice...) and anything else you wish to add. You can also share what fish you have already caught from your bucket list and share pictures if you have them.

I will start with my fishing bucket list as it is right now, not in any particular order...

Double Digit Largemouth Bass
Peacock Bass
40 plus inch Snook
30 plus inch Redfish
Gator Trout (When do you consider a trout to be a "Gator Trout"? I am a newbie to saltwater fishing so sorry for the maybe dumb question.)
100 plus pound Tarpon
Bonefish (On fly would be a bonus)
Grouper (Goliath, Gag, Red, Black)
Snapper (Red, Mutton, Yellowtail, Mangrove, Lane)
Shark (Hammerhead, Tiger, Bull, Blacktip)

I know some of these are pretty common fish caught by a lot of you but like I said I am a newbie to saltwater fishing and have a lot to cross off my list. I would also like to try kite fishing and learn to scuba dive for spear fishing and lobster hunting. Looking forward to hearing what is on everyone's fishing bucket list and I will most likely be adding more to mine as I think of more and see yours.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. :fishing

Replies

• hammerhead01hammerhead01 Posts: 165 Deckhand
    Well.. DH.. You sit your sights high .. You may as well. You realize all the things you listed are achievable, since we live in a wonderful place. Take your youth and enthusiasm and just do it. Its all very possible in Florida. Just be careful with the Sharks.,
  • LoganGLoganG Posts: 48 Deckhand
    fly fishing bonefish and baby tarpon in Belize,Also i consider a gator trout 27"+.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,944 Moderator
    Well I've caught all the fish on your bucket list except the bass. I'd still like that one.
    I expanded my bucket list to include a Blue Marlin (caught last year after trying for 38 years),
    African Tiger Fish, (caught several years ago while on a photo safari in South Africa)
    30# king salmon (aka Tyee - I've caught a couple while fishing with a friend in Vancouver, BC)
    and a roosterfish, on fly would be nice - still looking)
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,571 Captain
    Wahoo and Cobia are on my list since I havent caught one yet. The ultimate for me would be a Rooster Fish out of Costa Rica.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    Mines changed several times thru the years from quantity to quality, and now just catching fish on my own tied flies. After that probably catching fish on my own tied flies and homemade rods
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    I kinda go with razor. I love going to a yard sale, buying a trash rod, but good blnk. Completely stripping it, rebuilding itnith new butt, real seat eyes finish etc and catching fish with it. I also have the start of makings for tying flies, thats on my list as well as making some lures. Life is great.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,237 Moderator
    DUDE! YOU ARE IN LUCK!!!!!!! Awesome! All of this obtainable. Not necessarily easily, but you can do it! Enjoy the ride!

Me:
    Gag grouper over 60#
    ANY billfish other than my first:
    DSCF0571.jpg
    I'd prefer a blue... saw two of them sunning in early Aug this year in 600' off Marathon, but no luck. I'd settle for a sail or whitey, though. Just never caught any!
    Trout over 30"
    Cobia over 100#
    Dolphin over 40#
    Wahoo over 100#
    YFT over 180#
    Red snapper over 30#
    A bonefish
    A snook
    A permit
    A landed tarpon over 50#
    Flounder over 10#
    A big mako
    A Bluefin
    Alligator over 11'
    150"+ whitetail... as long as we're wishin... I'll go with archery
    Mature Elk
    Any wild salmon
    Any wild trout
    Halibut
    Caribou
    Grizzly
    Black bear

Oh, gosh.... this is too much. I'm starting to feel old.... So many things that may never happen. Better stop now before I get too depressed.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • DonnieHoughDonnieHough Posts: 199 Officer
    @hammer - I do realize that everything on my list so far is obtainable but I also know it wont be easy. Like you said I am just going to go at it and will probably be adding more to the list as I learn more and mark some of these off my list. I will keep in mind what you said about the sharks.

@razor and tunaman - That's cool how you like to make your own flies, lures and/rods and go out and catch fish with them. I might try doing something like that sometime.

@panhandler - Thanks, I'm sure I will enjoy the ride and everywhere my fishing adventure will take me. You have a great list, Think I might have to add a billfish, dolphin, alligator, and whitetail to my list. The other fish and animals on your list are all great trophies too but I think I'm going to wait till I start marking some off my list before I add more. lol

Look forward to seeing more list everyone.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. :fishing
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Well I have caught one trout over 30 in and 2 29, red over 30 all groupers listed and all snappers listed
    I have never caught any kind of billfish. I have seen plenty free jumping in the keys, and even had a light up sail follow a jig in 30 feet out of Sarasota.
    My list is-
    Sailfish
    Marlin
    Dolphin over 50 (caught one close to 40)
    cubera snapper
    wahoo over 50 pounds
    Big permit (have caught a few small ones pompano jigging)
    15 plus pound mutton
    any of the deep water groupers kitty Mitchell yellowedge warsaw
    sight fish a 60 pound cobia--have caught a handful in 25 pound range
    Yellowfin tuna
    Bluefin tuna
    Mako
    Sk018... Youve got a gag over 60 and red snapper over 30? Good work.

Sight fish to cobia over 60 very doable here in early April, although past three years have been slow. Four years ago I tossed a jig to a 91.2 pounder... Was pretty awesome.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Sk018... Youve got a gag over 60 and red snapper over 30? Good work.

Sight fish to cobia over 60 very doable here in early April, although past three years have been slow. Four years ago I tossed a jig to a 91.2 pounder... Was pretty awesome.

No I was referring to the OP that just named the species. I grew up on the West Coast but always wanted to do what you mentioned to the 91 pound cobia!

I have only caught a couple small red snapper and gags to 32 inches or so nothing huge. I have never had the opportunity to fish deeper than 100 ft on the WC where the huge gags and deep water groupers lurk
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    I don't think there's anything out there I want to catch more than a rare Atlantic Longbill Spearfish off my own boat. Although not large in size, it's the most rare of all billfish species. I will not settle for the wannabe "roundscale spearfish" that looks like a white marlin.

Spearfish-Longbill-mounts-c-87.jpg

spearfish_longbill.png
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 274 Deckhand
    My original bucket list when I was younger was to catch a decent fish in all 50 states. Species depended on where I was, the 'when in Rome' scenerio. I knocked 21 off of that list, such as big stripers up in Mass, NY and several other northeastern states. Decent walleye and Pike in Illinois and Indiana(never did get the giant Musky). Nice rainbows and smallmouths in TN and NC. Halibut and King Salmon in Alaska. And many quality fish here in FL.

I still hope to fulfill my traveling someday, but for now I'm happy just to get out on weekends and as long as we keep the skunk off the boat, it's all good.
    A good one in every state... I like it!
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    I'd love to finish my boat... that'd be my only thing on there.:shrug

The fish, I've already tangled with em... they're hoping the boat doesn't get done.
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    1) Blue Marlin over 300 lbs.
    2) Black Marlin in Australia.
    3) Wahoo over 100 lbs.
    4) Anything in Alaska.
  • TipboneTipbone Posts: 190 Officer
    Mine is a simple one. I have a white whale, and it is the Tarpon. Jumped a ton, but never got one to the boat for a picture.