Home General Fishing

Daiwa Aird - Anyone use this reel?

Thinking of buying one. No place local has it for me to look at first. I'd like to get the 2000 size for a stellar lite and 15lb. braid.

Replies

• Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 560 Officer
    I have that exact model that I mainly use for peacock bass, but have caught a few jacks and small bonnetheads on it as well, and think it's a very smooth reel for its price. I was actually looking at shimanos at first, but really liked that it came with two spools. Have one spooled up with 6lb braid for the salt, and 4 lb mono for the peacocks. Little reel barely puts out any drag, but you dont need much with this size of reel.
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 936 Officer
    I have 4 of the 2500 size on sg614ft70 stellar lites that are used specifically for throwing light lures and popping corks. After a year of service they are holding up fine, but I also take care of my stuff.

My only complaint is that inside the spool where the drag stack sits isn't a smooth surface. It still performs fine, but the washers will retain the outline of the groves.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I had a Aird 2500 and sold it on ebay after using it a couple of times. The reel has a composite frame and doesn't feel solid when reeling under tension. I replaced that Aird with a Exceler 2500 that I like much better.