Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• No_Cool_NameNo_Cool_Name Posts: 60 Deckhand
    That is a nice catch there. I am new to fishing the IRL. Can anyone tell me if there is mangrove snapper in the IRL (Titusville to Cocoa)? I would be real interested in the type of habitat you are finding these guys along with what you do to catch them.
    Good things come to those who get off their lazy butt and work for it.
  • fishawkfishawk Posts: 263 Deckhand
    I catch them around bridges, deeper docks, jetties, wherever there is good current flow and deeper water.
    I don't fish Brevard county....sorry.
    A jerk on one end of the line waiting on a jerk on the other end of the line.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    That is a nice catch there. I am new to fishing the IRL. Can anyone tell me if there is mangrove snapper in the IRL (Titusville to Cocoa)? I would be real interested in the type of habitat you are finding these guys along with what you do to catch them.

like fishawk said.. deeper water with structure.. underwater rockpiles are also great and you will find sheepshead intermingled..

use flurocarbon leader, large live shrimp, 1-3 inch finger mullet, or mud minnows and as small a hook as you can get away with..

nice grovers dude!
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    You're officially making me jealous
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    I'm curious if you cull fish in a livewell and keep the biggest and how many you catch in an outing to get 5 like the ones you've posted this week. Those are more impressive to me than any offshore red snapper catches over the weekend. I've caught my fair share inshore but never got into consistant numbers of the size fish you're posting, however I've mainly targeted inshore snappers from shore based spots. I know the NSB area pretty good and know they're around, just never spent the time looking for them via boat.
  • No_Cool_NameNo_Cool_Name Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Thanks guys for the info. I will give it a shot once I do some map recons for deeper areas with structure around. I think the deeper areas around Titusville and Cocoa will be a challenge other than the main channels. I hope to have some snapper fillets for dinner this weekend.
    Good things come to those who get off their lazy butt and work for it.
  • eugene krabseugene krabs Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Super killer dips....AS WELL FROM THE RIVER...KILLER.....